Massachusetts soccer landscape?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by P.W., Jan 16, 2017.

1. P.W.

P.W. Member

Sep 29, 2014
    We may be moving from Illinois to Massachusetts. Job is in Billerica, so we would live somewhere within reasonable commuting distance (definitely not in Boston proper).

Just wondering if there's a good website to get a lay of the land - maybe a league website?

My kids are not aspiring MNT players. But they are good, contributing players and used to more than just house league soccer. Both play multiple sports as well. I'm not looking for the "best" club in Massachusetts - I'm more interested in them playing to the same level they do now (U12 is in the boys NISL, club level (Div 1) if that helps), having a good experience and making friends that will be more than just "soccer friends". That's hard to do when a team is pulling from a huge radius, which is what the best teams seem to do.

So, where can I go to find quality, yet local drawing clubs in this area of Massachusetts? I know it would be more helpful if we knew the town we were moving to, but we haven't even confirmed we are moving yet. I'd like to be able to have some info to present to the kids if this becomes a sure thing so they at least feel we are looking out for their interests!

2. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006

You are correct. I think you would rather get settled and hear from the locals regarding whereabouts kids around you like to play, travel specifics and comfort level will play a huge role also sounds like the social aspect will play a big part in your decision. But all of that including not knowing really what level you guys want to play to (ie you sounded relaxed with expectation but you and your kids might be used to a higher level than I am used to or vice versa).

Here is a club directory.

https://games.nslsoccer.org/index.cfm/clubsByZip/

We played in this for a few years and I would describe most clubs as mostly "seasonal" players.

http://www.nepremiership.com/

We currently reside in a club that competes here and at the Elite level you would get what you would expect, but you may be the level etc is closer to what you want.

Depending on the town you may have a really high rec program...

Most important is to try a few places before giving a red cent. Do not pay for a place until you guys are somewhat content.

It is ultimately a small town with a smaller soccer community so if you get more specifics as you get closer just update the thread and I will research whomever you would like.

3. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Have you confirmed your move? If so, let me know and I will post some information. Billerica is not far from where I live.

4. P.W.

P.W. Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Thanks so much for your post, I forgot to update! Accepted the job, but negotiated the ability to telecommute from here, so no move required!

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since you live in Illinois contact the USSF their located in Chicago and ask them about the clubs in the area you might move to in their age group. There in a very good position to help you with club names, coaches and locations and their telephone numbers.

Then make a side trip one weekend and actually check out the clubs and go to a game and a practice session, and talk to the parents and if you like what you saw then talk to the coach in your kids age group after the practice session. It's also has to be teams you can afford after all you don't won't to go to the poor house after you paid for it.