MASL News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Sep 1, 2016.

1. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Turlock called "Cal"?

2. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like its short for California or Califino (tequila) or both. Don't know for sure. Dallas has them listed as Califino on the pop up schedule when you go to their website. Maybe Califino (SD Sockers sponser) purchased or invested in the Express. Anyway, too me, Cal Express sounds better than Turlock and I prefer the name Canada Metrostars over Mississauga.

https://www.dallassidekicks.com/home

3. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know my obsession over Turlock is unhealthy and is clearly digging its way deep into my brain but again... why is Turlock still a thing?

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly.

Even though it makes way less sense?

I have seen teams named after a state or a region before, but not since 1983 have I seen a club team named for an entire country.

You keep asking. You keep getting the same answer. At some point, you are going to have to admit that that's the answer.

5. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    You forget the Mexico Toros!

Cal Express sounds like a local credit union.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Named after Ciudad de Mexico, not the country, I believe.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  7. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure why the M2 would have cross country playoffs to begin with, due to the costs. Why not just keep the playoffs in division or just have a division winner. Soccer Sam stated he spent $35000 for the Lancers recent playoff, that is too expensive and really not worth it. Thought the goal of the M2 was to develop players, coaches, refs, potential venues etc. for the MASL. Does not look like they were very successful and did not have a lot of support from the MASL, from what I read. Now, the M2 states they plan to have their remaining/added teams affiliate with a MASL team, which should of been the way it was ran in the first place. Let's see if they can get it somewhat right this year and years to come.

Cardshopmd, just wondering if you heard if the Blast were getting a new turf this year or did they once again miss the cutoff date at the mill again.

8. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Now all they need to do is find a small local arena and name it the CECU.

Remember "Team America" from the outdoor NASL of the 80's?

I'm guessing the MetroStars are going to see which venue/venues works best for them. Thanks to the abundance of 4000 to 6000 seat hockey arenas throughout Ontario they are able to do this. Looks like the Paramount Centre is off the list. This fits in perfectly with all the oddities associated with professional indoor soccer. Anyway, glad the league is still in existence and looking forward to another season of MASL Soccer!

9. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    That's true, but I was thinking of the Tijuana version from a few years ago.

10. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, M2 is an amateur league. How is a league that doesn't pay players expect the teams to be able to afford travel?

SteveCo repped this.
  11. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    All things being equal, wouldn't teams in a league that doesn't pay it's players actually have MORE money available for travel?

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh oh oh I was thinking of the one-and-done CISL team. You're right.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All things aren't equal, though. M2 teams start with way less money. That's why they choose to be in an amateur league.

It's not like they say, "I know what we'll do - we won't pay players and then we can travel anywhere we want!"

SteveCo repped this.
  14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unfortunate truth is none are likely to work, and two games each, back to back against the same opponent, are too small a sample to be meaningful.

It feels like a move made more out of desperation than innovation. The whole multiple-venues franchise thing has never really worked. This doesn't feel like the organization that could make it work.

SteveCo repped this.
  15. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Agreed. That's why I started with "All things being equal,...". Yes, much smaller budgets in M2 which makes long distance travel a hindrance. Still, to hint that having less expenses (i.e. not paying players) is the reason that travel is difficult for M2 teams misses the overall point. M2 needs to be a regional (read: bus) league to make travel affordable.

SteveCo repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All things being equal, I could totally date Gal Gadot.

SteveCo repped this.
  17. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    And the MASL could outdraw Sunday Night Football. ;)

SteveCo repped this.
  18. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    And the back-to-back games will probably split their crowds.

But this way they can skip out on the rent and move on to the next venue.

hipityhop and SteveCo repped this.
  19. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw where the MetroStars are playing this year, my thought was that they are going on a tour of the OHL.

20. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im thinking more along the lines of a team that can't afford to pay players can't afford travel, either.

Scooge repped this.
  21. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    that Metrostars schedule has all the marking of an old school baseball barnstorming tour, minus the Babe, Gehrig and friends. I don;t think the team will be around after this year, having home games in several different places is usually an indication that a team is struggling / cant afford to have all home games at the same place.

22. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a crazy rumor that the MASL might be in the works of doing a point system for the standings, kind of like outdoor soccer and hockey. I hope to GOD this is false. Keep indoor soccer simple, won or a loss that it!

23. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Unfortunately the stats on the league website are already screwed up enough, but there is already a column for OT losses for goalies. If the league statistician would check the box to make it visible maybe we could have an idea what their real won/loss records were.

I think it is unnecessary and will junk up the standings, and is anathema to indoor soccer, but I like at least that teams will share three points like hockey teams used to share two points (before it became 2 or 3 points with the added shootout garbage in the NHL).

24. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree, really unnecessary for a point system in the MASL. Only thing I might change is go 4 on 4 in ot (like NHL) instead of current 5 on 5 ot and then the shootout(if needed). Instead of a point system, I would concentrate in making the schedule as fair and competitive as possible each year.

25. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't the EISL used to have a points system for their standings in the late 90s?