MASL News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    New Blue Turf in KC

KC Comets turf.JPG

firesting81 and Joey Tee repped this.
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember about 14 years ago or so, when removing the glass along the sides was in vogue? Everybody does that now, right?

Now turf in a distinctive color is going to be the thing, yeah?

SteveCo and Joey Tee repped this.
  3. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smurf Turf: MISL Edition

SteveCo repped this.
  4. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    It will be a thing for a long time because turfs can have a 20 year shelf life and new teams are always buying old turfs (Orlando has the Comets old turf).

I just hope they don't keep changing the field markings and the new Comets owner doesn't get a "smart" idea and ruin the logo the way he ruined their uniforms.

No matter how many times the Sidekicks paint the new green logo on the center circle you will always be able to see the old purple logo bleeding through.

SteveCo repped this.
  5. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I just hope the Blast doesn't ever get a red field.

firesting81 repped this.
  6. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I was raised on the CISL, so I actually prefer the purple and silver masked and hatted ball logo.

7. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    SteveCo repped this.
  8. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I was only 19 when they made the change, but I always hated the purple.

9. Mkewavefan10

Mkewavefan10 Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know who is in possession of the Milwaukee Waves old turf?

10. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guessed it....Frank Stallone.

youguessedit.jpg

firesting81 repped this.
  12. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Saturday and Sunday opening crowds have looked good. And the Ambush-SeaWolves were on NBC Sports Chicago +. Wondering if there are more deals with NBC Sports Regional Network.

SteveCo repped this.
  13. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I would like to congratulate the Baltimore Blast on cutting their formerly 6 second audio delay down to just 3 seconds. Kudos!

SteveCo repped this.
  14. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely get how gutted this league is and that the indoor barely qualifies as "sport" anymore.

But... I am really getting tired of paying good money for Wave tickets when no visiting team can make it past halftime before the blowout commences.

The last close game was a few weeks ago against St. Louis (and that wasn't really close in the end) and before that Mississauga, in which I think the Wave mostly slept through.

Of course I am (mostly) saying this in jest, but it's not a lot of fun watching a game in which the outcome is over about 10 minutes after it starts.

15. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    yeah mjames, the Wave and Sockers have, what 4 losses between them? its not fun when you know pretty much every game is going to be a win, and not a particularly close win either. still , once you get past the first round of the playoffs, everything is single elimination, which is frankly stupid. you play 26 games including playoffs, just so you can be eliminated based on 1 game? can someone please tell me, why all playoff rounds aren;'t series like the first round?

16. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know the answer to each question is "money". The playoffs are a money loser so the fewer games, the better.

Then of the 17 MASL teams, roughly 5 are "good" and about 3 or 4 are "not bad". The other 8 or 9 teams are generally run on a shoestring budget or else don't have the means to acquire more on-field talent.

And as I said in another thread, as long as the league and teams don't focus on this being a SPORT, it isn't going to change.

Truth is, I am kind of surprised that the Wave bothers putting a competitive team on the field. As long as there is an endless supply of 8- to 12-year olds to fill the pipeline, a Wave game may as well be a Chuck E. Cheese, so why bother paying the talent?

SteveCo repped this.
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what is the solution, exactly?

There aren't enough realistic investors willing to spend enough money to raise the potential ceiling for revenue. The league has never been able to afford to be choosy. There are very few players worth the price of admission, and they can all do better outdoors

The cadre of people who take this seriously as a sport is small, and won't grow substantially no matter how much money suddenly got injected into it.

It doesn't look like you can kill it, but it also doesn't look like it will ever get back off the gurney, either, does it?

Maybe markets like Utica are the answer, I don't know.

18. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I've been going to Blast games for years, and as good as they have been as far as Championships won and playoff success, the last 4-5 years, most of the games I've been to have been nail biters, last one I saw a couple weeks ago was a 10-9 win over KC that went to the wire. I don't have season tickets, maybe I just happen to go to the better games, the last two years, I think the scores have been 8-7, 8-7, 5-4, 8-7, 10-9 when I've been in attendance.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The average MASL game this season has been decided by 3.64 goals. (That's only a rough indicator of competitiveness - you could have a game be tight all the way and a couple of late empty netters make the score bigger - but let's start there.)

Fans in St. Louis have seen the tightest games, with an average final margin of 2.42 (Half have been decided by just one goal, most in the league. Milwaukee has had just one, Baltimore three.)

Games in Ontario have been decided by an average of 5.50 goals per game, with four by eight or more. (Milwaukee and Baltimore each have three 8+ margins.) Milwaukee's 5.18 average is second. Those are the only two fan bases seeing games decided by an average of five or more goals.

20. Utica Soccer 2K

Utica Soccer 2K New Member

Utica City FC
    United States
    Jul 4, 2018
    Anyone have thoughts on possible expansion for next year? I’d think that Rochester could come back in. Which teams are most in Jeopardy of not returning?

21. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Soccer Sam said definitively that the Lancers are happy in M2 and a move to the MASL is not possible. But the Lancers situation has been pretty fluid the last five years so definitively is not all that definitive.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As per usual, anyone who hasn't been announced yet would be behind the eight ball already for a December start (which doesn't stop and has never stopped indoor soccer from doing it anyway). But you could throw out any potential market you've heard of and some that have never had a team before and probably be just as likely to be right as wrong.

(As for Rochester, unless they're suddenly going to be able to get dates at the bigger arena and unless worker's compensation has suddenly been figured out in New York state, that seems ambitious. Not to mention their owner said when they had like 2,500 for their opener that they'd never - not ever - sold 2,500 tickets to a game when the Lancers were in the MISL/MASL, despite announcing exponentially more than that on a regular basis, so let us not romanticize Rochester.)

But let's look at what happened in each of the last five offseasons:

Summer 2014
    The latest merger drama, in which six MISL III teams that had been under the USL umbrella joined 15 PASL-Pro teams to form the MASL.

The MISL's Pennsylvania team folded, and the PASL's Cleveland, Cincinnati, Illinois, Mexico and Bay Area teams did not join the combined league. (Cincinnati was supposed to, I believe, but did not eventually.)

Summer 2015
    (-5, +3)

After Hidalgo had folded during the season and Seattle had been replaced by Tacoma after 13 games, five other teams went away for various reasons: Rochester, Wichita, Tulsa, Monterrey and Oxford City.

Cedar Rapids, Baja and Sonora entered as expansion teams.

Seventeen other teams came back, though Detroit moved to Flint.

Summer 2016
    (-5, +2)

Waza Flo, Las Vegas, Brownsville, Saltillo and Sacramento went bye-bye.

Florida and El Paso came in as expansion teams.

The other 14 teams came back, though Missouri changed its name to Kansas City.

Summer 2017
    (-3, +2)

Monterrey and Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville) came back from hiatus.

Baja, Chicago and Dallas went away.

The other 12 teams came back.

Summer 2018
    (-1, +2)

Dallas returned from hiatus.
    Mississauga came in as an expansion team.

Fifteen teams came back, though Syracuse moved to Utica and Cedar Rapids moved to Orlando. (Come on, that's what happened.)

Sonora "went on hiatus."

What will happen this summer? Nothing would be that surprising. Everybody could come back, or they could lose as many as five teams.

Mississauga is in what we call a "Gots to Go Situation." They can spin it as a hiatus, but there's nothing happening there.

Turlock could (and should) go. El Paso could (and should) go. Orlando should (but probably won't) go. Florida surely could. I would not be surprised to see St. Louis go either way. Same with Harrisburg.

But that's all speculation. Anyone could make various predictions during any of the recent offseasons and they wouldn't be that outlandish.

Utica Soccer 2K, Scooge and SteveCo repped this.
  23. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    Indoor Soccer is the Cockroach of Sports. Just this week the Alliance of American Football and the Canadian Women's Hockey League went out of business. Major League Lacrosse also contracted by 3 teams (1/3 of the league). It's important to note that the AAF had a very good presence on television and yet only managed to play 80% of their inaugural season.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also cost the AAF $10M a week to do business. I would be surprised if the franchise values of all the MASL teams were $10M combined

The Stever, MLSinCleveland and SteveCo repped this.