MASL News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.funwhileitlasted.net/tag/marcie-laumann/

https://pilotonline.com/sports/both...cle_2b48d4bf-56c9-5e2c-843f-134ed63fb7d1.html

Lousy Owners Continued: Marcie Laumann

While Marcie was a highly regarded amateur team owner in the USL, her Norfolk Sharx limped through a 5-19 campaign in 2011-12 before folding. She memorably stated at one point that the team wasn't able to market itself because money had been spent on other things. Really? Marketing is the first thing an expansion team needs to spend money on, and lots of it, not to mention employing a professional sales staff for sponsors and ticket sales. Apparently she didn't get much guidance from the MISL on how to run a team properly. She falls in the categories of both Underfunded and Incompetent. By all accounts a nice lady but ended up way over her head with a professional team. She had to give up her outdoor teams in 2014 due to health reasons. For a few laughs, see the Norfolk game clips in the Bad Announcers thread.

cardshopmd repped this.
  2. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you remember she mysteriously had a break in at her office and had all of the lifetime season tickets stolen along with computers and so on. After the season ended she mysteriously had a large fire at her property.

SteveCo repped this.
  3. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good memory, I had forgotten about that! Really convenient timing of those 'unfortunate events'. Probably more fans who got stiffed and lost their money invested in furure season tickets (lifetime tickets in this unstable sport are ridiculous). Once again, a surety bond can ensure that all obligations/wages are paid when a team folds, including refund of ticket money pledged to future seasons that won't be happening.

4. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that any announcers have tried to do play-by-play while imitating Yoda since then!

SteveCo repped this.
  5. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  6. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Per his Instagram, Hewerton has stepped down as player/coach of the Rampage. Sad day in Eastern Iowa.

Any guesses where he is headed? My money is on St. Louis.

SteveCo repped this.
  7. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in St. Louis and no announcements of a new coach yet. Certainly, if Hewerton is in fact hired here as coach or player/coach, it is a huge upgrade. That said, sorry to hear he is leaving Cedar Rapids. One of my Ambush sources told me a couple days ago to look for 'big announcements' coming soon. One recent team announcement was the date of the home opener (*yawn*). We still haven't signed any new free agent players yet so the sooner we get a coach (whether Hewerton or someone else), the better. For all of our owners talk of 'new directions' and 'winning', it is about time to see actions taken to make it happen. Having part-owner Tony Glavin step down from head coach was a good first step, though it probably should have happened right after the season ended. Cedar Rapids certainly has a pretty good roster so far. I plan to visit a couple games up there this season.

8. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  9. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Steve , One of the biggest hold ups is some of the free agents cant sign a indoor contract until they are released by their outdoor clubs. The MASL needs the release to approve the contract.
    Work visas are also another issue that holds things up.

SteveCo repped this.
  10. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    The MASL will approve a player's contract without a visa. He just can't play in any games until the visa requirements are satisfied.

SteveCo repped this.
  11. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ambush had a rookie player last year (JT Thomas) who was caught in a visa 'limbo' and couldn't play last season. He lived with a host family and made a few extra bucks from coaching kids. The team had a lawyer trying to resolve it but it didn't happen. No fault of the player or team; visa issues do happen.

Over 45 players have signed so far with MASL teams, both during and after the free agent period. I understand that some guys are still under contract elsewhere, some may not even actually be available, etc. My point was that an Ambush team in obvious need of better talent hasn't signed a single veteran player. Still no head coach either. El Paso was equally bad last season, and they have signed some players. I have concerns about the Ambush owners' lack of progress to improve the on-field product.

cardshopmd repped this.
  12. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.facebook.com/turfandboards/

Sydney announced on FB (as well as the Ambush) just today - the Ambush will hold a news conference on August 29 to announce their new coach and player signings. Finally, some sort of real update from a team which needs to replace most of their roster if they hope to be competitive. Later than we would have liked to get a new coach but we will see what happens. I have heard that players want to come to Saint Louis due to the many coaching gigs here, but they won't come if the team won't provide competitive pay and benefits (or isn't signing at least 10 or 12 veteran players to create a competitive team). Is the ownership ready to step up spending on players? Have they hired a coach capable of recruiting better players? Get your popcorn ready.

NSL2004 repped this.
  13. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Hewerton?

SteveCo repped this.
  14. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they will get Preki do to it , Hes already in the area and knows the indoor game.

SteveCo repped this.
  15. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Preki already has a job.

Hewerton is currently out of the country. On one hand you would have thought they would have done the press conference this week to promote tonight's game.

Daryl Doran is always a likely suspect. Other than Tatu and Dallas he is probably the most iconic indoor player ever in connection to one city. But his coaching resume produced a diminishing return.

Or it could be someone like a Jeff DiMaria, who is kind of known and has the basic qualifications to be a head coach, but with no track record.

Your guesses are as good as mine!

SteveCo repped this.
  16. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    My guess is either Preki (I'm pretty sure he could handle both) or Hewerton.

SteveCo repped this.
  17. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doran is a great guy, an indoor soccer legend in the midwest, but he didn't have a lot of wins during 2+ seasons coaching the current Ambush. There wasn't that much talent either, especially early on, but even with what was on the roster, the results should have been better. No chance he returns as coach .

I agree with Firesting81, it will be either Hewerton or Preki. Jeff DiMaria is an awesome, down to earth guy, lots of soccer experience, he could do the job but the other two guys could recruit better players. DiMaria makes sense as an assistant coach.

18. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    For me Hewerton would be a better fit in Dallas. They used to have a pretty popular Brazilian coach.

St. Louis has a history of an affinity for local American players, although they have had a few pretty good coaches from out of town, too (Dave Clements, Omid Namazi, Don Popovic).

SteveCo repped this.
  19. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about Kim Røntved

SteveCo repped this.
  20. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Caution

A fan at last night's USA vs. Mexico game floated another possibility for Ambush head coach - Matt Caution. He is currently an assistant with the local USL team St. Louis FC and helps run a soccer academy. According to his Saint Louis FC bio, " A St. Charles native, Matt has 14 years of professional soccer experience and 25 years as a coach. He currently holds a USSF National "B" license and NSCAA National Premier Diploma". I have never met him, so I don't have any insights. Maybe the owners would hope he can recruit some more local USL players to the Ambush. The downside is that most of those guys don't have indoor experience, though they are much better soccer players than the PDL guys that we suffered with last year.

I think Hewerton could do a better job attracting real indoor soccer players, he did so in Cedar Rapids. Caution has a great coaching background and lots of indoor experience, more recent indoor experience than Tony Glavin. The coach won't matter if the Ambush don't sign better players. We will see on Tuesday.

cardshopmd repped this.
  21. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.stlambush.com/news/hewerton-named-new-head-coach

Former Cedar Rapids coach Hewerton Moreira has just been named the head coach of the Saint Louis Ambush. The team cancelled the announcement scheduled at a local bar for tomorrow night due to "unavoidable travel complications", the event will be rescheduled. The team has also signed current players Lucas Almeida and Victor France to extensions. These are positive first steps towards being more competitive on the pitch. Long way to go but we finally have a coach who can attract better players.

cardshopmd, firesting81 and kenntomasch repped this.
  22. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Damn, if only I had ACTUALLY put money on this.

cardshopmd and SteveCo repped this.
  23. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, I didn't put money on it either. Midwest Ref also mentioned Hewerton as possible. A couple of my contacts had said it was possible but I didn't want to believe anything before it happened. I hope Cedar Rapids finds a great coach, I like the way their roster is shaping up. Taylor Bond, and Gordy, what a combo. Hoping the Comets return too. Very concerned about Kansas City having a team or not.

24. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
  25. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS