MASL News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Sep 1, 2016.

1. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    Plus both the NPSL and UWS leagues are Amateur.

2. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
  3. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Venerable

Venerable Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I know Rio Grande Valley was awarded a franchise, but how come no one from RGV was at the press conference and no information about the organization has been broadcast except the arena they'll play in?
    While I think the MASL has made great strides over the past year, this is an example of kind of dropping the ball. Put something on the league website. Have the RGV website launched along with the commissioner's announcement.
    As a side note: the league needs to mandate that every franchise have a website and that they ALL be updated in a timely manner with transactions, articles, player bios, stats, etc.

SteveCo repped this.
  5. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    "Major Arena Soccer League: The MASL has mentioned plans to create a new league called the MASL2, which would be at a level between the MASL and the MASL\'s current official developmental league called the Premier Arena Soccer League (PASL). Some current PASL teams like the Cincinnati Swerve, Houston Hotshots and Freedom FC (Edwards, CO) have been mentioned as possible teams for the new MASL2."

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/weekly-sports-league--franchise-report/n-5249922

6. dcunitedTV

dcunitedTV Member

Sep 30, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Brownsville rebranding themselves as RGV?

7. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Yes, the former Brownsville team is joining the MASL for the 2017-18 season as the RGV Barracudas.

8. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  9. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he is not covered according to his contract. I want to see how this all works out for him & exactly what the league does do.

18049597_1082826888488914_877118379_o.jpg

powerplay13 and SteveCo repped this.
  11. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't make any comments about contracts since I am not a lawyer. Clearly this has become a public relations issue. I just hope that the team or league helps this player get the medical treatment he needs.

cardshopmd repped this.
  12. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MASL is looking at goal line technology. My two comments:

1. Doesn't the NHL already have video reviews of goals. Couldn't indoor soccer just adapt similar technology?
    2. The MASL Commissioner says that he wants to eliminate "all human error." That's impossible. He should say that he wants to reduce human error. Even with goal line technology, there are still going to be plays were two people interpret the same play in two different ways.

http://www.maslsoccer.com/news/masl-to-research-goal-line-technology

SteveCo repped this.
  13. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    So the last sentence the contract that CardshopMD posted says "Contractor at their option and expense may participate in group medical, accident, or disability insurance that the team or league may offer"

Did the team or the league offer the insurance? If so, did the player opt into buying the insurance?

SteveCo - Well spotted. It does appear to be the Florida Tropics player Armando Tello. Here is Andrew Haines write up of Tello https://andrewghaines.wordpress.com/tag/armando-tello/

CardshopMD - While I have never seen a MASL contract on these boards before, it doesn't surprise me you have one.

I must confess, the optics look poor to me. Anytime a professional athlete has to turn to Gofundme.com to get a knee repaired, it is a PR disaster.

cardshopmd and SteveCo repped this.
  14. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I hope they don't do it, I ABSOLUTELY HATE REPLAY IN EVERY SPORT! I'd rather live with the mistakes. One of the great things about soccer is that they haven't gone down this ugly, intrusive rat hole.

Buddy98 repped this.
  15. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  16. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    I do like the idea of the league trying to add some early off-season free agency intrigue. If I'm not mistaken, most teams fill their roster a month or two before the season starts. Hopefully, this will give us something to buzz about in a positive way. I feel like we will either be praising this as some sort of success that had at least one major transaction, or we will look at it as a dud.

I would like to see the league post a list of players who would be eligible for the Live Period. Given the non-existence of injury reports, I am not holding my breath on that one.

The November 1, 2017 date really strikes me. In another league, I would assume that means the regular season starts sometime after this. In indoor, I would not be surprised if we have October games where some teams' new players cannot play.

powerplay13 repped this.
  17. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    1. Yes the NHL and AHL uses goal line technology......BUT, it is not an automated system. There are cameras that will cover the net, in a controversial or disputed goal, in the NHL, the refs will "go to Toronto" where the NHL has a team of people (4) who will review the play to see if the puck crossed the line, was it deliberately kicked in etc.......in the AHL, the four on ice officials will review it via video. It is simply a review by another set of eys.

2. Thing is, this couldn't have happened at a worse time. I mean Tacoma v Turlock in January, while I don't want to say "who cares" but who cares. A tying goal in a mini game of the MASL championship with 11 seconds left and it is a clear hand ball. The optics are not good.

SteveCo repped this.
  18. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont have his contract just that part of it was sent to me. Each team has a different type of contract due to local and state laws.

19. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SteveCo repped this.
  20. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    What does that have to do with free agency?

21. Buddy98

Buddy98 Member

Oct 22, 2014
    It looks like Lewis mixed up your post on the Live Period with the other talk about goal line technology.

cardshopmd repped this.
  22. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was commenting on this post

23. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Lewis, it would help if you comments were related to the items you were quoting. Just a friendly hint on how the forum works.

24. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country