MASL News

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Scooge, Sep 1, 2016.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya gotta know Arizona.

SteveCo repped this.
  2. SOCCERREFEREE101

Aug 5, 2016
    #452 SOCCERREFEREE101, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    This may not be real news but probably the best place for it.

With all the bashing masl referees may be. I thought I would share what I just learned from one. I just found out that goal line judges are not paid. Most if not all referees pay for their own travel expenses.

The MASL referees do it for the love of the indoor game.

Ryan Cygich the MASL Director of Game officials is a USSF National Emeritus referee and current USSF National Referee Coach, as well as the NCAA Director of Referees

Shane Butler is a FIFA Futsal Referee and has officiated the top futsal national teams in the world.

Kyle Atkins is a current MLS Assistant Referee and PRO Assistant Referee.

These are just a few MASL Referees.
    And they are more than qualified for the job.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

Indoor is really hard to officiate. And it is constantly made harder by the various league sites tinkering with their rule books over the years.

The people watching from the stands or on YouTube have no idea and it's very likely none of them have ever officiated anything, ever. Yet they are convinced they would make every call, from field level and at speed, that these folks don't.

FifaMan328 and SteveCo repped this.
  4. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shane Butler has officiated a lot of games for the St. Louis Ambush, he is an excellent game official. I don't think any Ambush games this season were negatively affected by the officials. We were not a good team anyway, but the officials did a good job in the games I saw. No games were affected last year either. Many fans just reflexively blame the referees if their team is losing. It is harder for some fans to admit to themselves that maybe their team didn't perform well that night, or just is a lousy or mediocre team.

I know that 'dives' can be difficult to penalize but it seems like 'dives' could be called more often. It is pretty rare that dives get called - maybe the rule needs more clarification.

cardshopmd repped this.
  5. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    #455 FifaMan328, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Correct - Only guys getting paid are the 4 in uniform. Goal Judges and Guys in the Box are not paid.
    Some of you don't realize how Mickey Mouse this league really is. Same people want to bring in the top MLS referees.. who would laugh at the pay rate !

Indoor can be a tough game to officiate. You want the guys to play.. but how much is too much ?

SteveCo and kenntomasch repped this.
  6. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I don't know, FifaMan, I am pretty confident everyone who lurks, peruses or posts on here for more than 2 weeks has a pretty good grasp that MASL is not exactly run like a Swiss watch. That being said, minor league sports are full of well intentioned, hard working men and women who are helping out because they enjoy the experience.

Overall I have been impressed with the PASL-ization of Pro Indoor Soccer in this country (and Mexico).

SteveCo repped this.
  7. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest thing that I have found is that casual fan do not understand advantage. I have been to quite a few games where there has been a foul, but the fouled player has maintained possession so the referees are signaling advantage. The people around me are screaming that the referees are "idiots" for missing the foul. Meanwhile, their teams is dribbling the ball up the field and having a scoring opportunity!

SteveCo repped this.
  8. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only issue with the advantage is that the game also counts individual personal fouls.

So a foul is a foul against a player if the offensive player loses possession, but if he maintains posession, what would have normally been a foul doesn't count against the fouler.

I guess if - when an advantage is played - the ref later goes back and assessses a "foul" against the offending player, that would eliminate the free hack.

SteveCo repped this.
  9. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you don't need the individual foul counted because you got the advantage of maintaining possession and not letting the defense set up.

10. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Immediately, yes. But in counting towards 4-fouls-in-a-half, it could be a big difference in the team receiving a later 2-minute penalty.

11. SOCCERREFEREE101

Aug 5, 2016
    SteveCo repped this.
  12. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  13. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good for MASL, this is exactly what they should be doing.

14. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's the ball for the masl 2 , or just a ball for marketing to get a better deal with Puma . I seriously doubt that the league would allow puma to release images and manufacture products of a new ball before the league does. BTW this is a target only item & if you would have looked you would have seen 2 different balls. Both look like a 2 year old puked on them
    51572241.jpeg 51572418_Alt01.jpeg

15. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you , This is what they should be doing to market the league ,

16. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    MASL Expansion:

Rio Grande Valley Barracudas, 2017-18, Hidalgo, TX, State Farm Arena, 6,800 seating

Toronto, 2018-19, Mississauga, ON, Hershey Centre, 5,000 seating

powerplay13 repped this.
  17. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They said in the press conference seating was 6,000 Not sure if it has to do with how it's set up to add 1K more seats. But it does show Capacity at 5K online. rink1.jpg

powerplay13 repped this.
  18. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Toronto will not play until the 2018-2019 season. Both arenas look like the perfect size for MASL soccer. Cshop was right, the MASL Championship will be broadcasted in English and Spanish, which is a real plus for all the fans.

19. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
  20. Venerable

Venerable Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I was expecting Monterrey to be announced. Not sure why. I guess I thought there were hints about more expansion in Mexico and assumed it would be a return of the Flash. Oh, well.
    Maybe, yet.

21. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Both the arenas in Toronto and Hidalgo have seen basketball, indoor football and hockey teams fold in each. If your rink cannot support hockey in Canada or basketball in Texas, then arena soccer might be a stretch.

Good luck to both. Once Toronto comes back the league will have teams in 3 countries, which is impressive.

22. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you announce Monterrey at the Blast press conference ? That should be done at the Sonora press conference in front of the Mexican Media. The Game will be on the front page of the newspapers. Just like they will announce Tayou as MVP in Sonora

23. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Did they say State Farm Arena or are you assuming? I heard a long time ago they were looking at a facility in McAllen.

**Oh now I see the league release says State Farm Arena.

24. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Rochester update: So, Soccer Sam comes on his radio show today and announces the birth of the Rochester Lancers (women's outdoor, UWS) and the Rochester Lancers (men's outdoor, NPSL). The only word concerning a possible return to the MASL is summed up in this snippet from an article today: http://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2017/04/08/duplicate-lancers-return-mens-womens-teams/

"There may be a third team named the Lancers in Rochester as (Doug) Miller revealed that the indoor side could return to the MASL. Miller said he hoped to have news in 60 days.

“We’re in the discovery phase of trying to solve some issues in the past,” he said.

Some of those issues included high insurance costs. “We’re about 10 steps closer. We’re closer to thing we want to make reality.""

25. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doug Miller, Soccer Sam & Others are meeting with the Blue Cross Arena Management on Monday to discuss arena agreement. The Cost to run the outdoor clubs is Minimal compared to the MASL. Since most of the game are in the NY region. for $100 you can get season tickets for both the men and women's season. Not to mention Kids under 12 are free and Anyone in the Military get in for free.

SteveCo repped this.