Maryland 2018

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Fekula, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The camp atmosphere and presumably team atmosphere (from all the transfers) is a dramatic drop-off from Morgan. With current staff, there is not one vibe telling kids (already reluctant, usually dragged to these camps) that it's a positive thing to be there. Makoski and the ex-goalie (who is/was there going for a masters) are not coaches but admin support. You probably saw very little to no instruction from them. I heard reports of staff asking Ray how drills work. Lots of toppled cones during player and staff demonstrations. With those eastern B10 schools you mentioned, players are usually excited about going back for the summer residentials. Not one kid wanted to go back and attend unenthusiastic Ray's. A few years ago, they wanted to go back to UMCP. Ray's squandering a gift horse being eastern P5 on I-95. It wouldn't take much effort.

Strange hires, it's almost as if Ray wants to be the only soccer coach. Or he wasn't allowed to hire his wife (who could help) so he wanted to set-up some foils so he could appeal to Anderson again. Another pitfall with bringing in these high-end Ivy guys is that they never had to sell and/or lure with schollys. At least not since the girl's soccer money boom (ECNL, etc). He just sat at Harvard as every Ivy-caliber player begs for Harvard or Princeton first. Didn't sweat money, nothing. So he could just be a non-charismatic, kinda mean "you, not you" dude.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for formatting :thumbsup:

3. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    If you want a defense of the UMD decision to move to the Big 10, or any decisions made by Loh regarding athletics or by the AD Anderson, you're not getting that from me. There's plenty of criticism to go around. If pointy football had made the BCS a nationwide super-football conference when they could have, everyone else would be much happier now I think.

I would argue though that a $155 Million renovation of Cole Field house to build a state-of-the-art Football practice center and Sport Medicine/Research clinic is very significant. Yes, UA and Plank had a lot to do with it but Maryland taxpayers just funded the last $22 million installment. UMD gets 5-10 major projects funded each year and now that Cole is just about done, there will be more coming for Athletics for sure. Rt 1 in College Park and that campus is being upgraded constantly.

About Cirovski, if the Big10 move had Zero to do with his salary increase, then what I had heard was bad information (that his base is 210 but the 'other' 230K came from a pool subsidized by the Big10 conf payout.) But, the point that UMD is paying any soccer coach over 400K tells me they can compete for just about anyone they want at that rate. Although I think that's a shitload of money, it's good that soccer folks are starting to get really paid, helps everyone.

Leone is on a base of about 150K and the clock is ticking. I don't see how he could get an extension without a noticeable uptick in Big10 results and I don't see evidence that can be expected anytime soon.

(and just for some perspective, when Brian Penske got the job moving from mens AC to women's HC, he was paid a base of 80K and that was not that really long ago. And seems like a bargain at this point!).

4. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    hah hah - but true!

Which is why it makes no sense for any top half ivy league coach on the women's side to ever leave. There are probably only 2 or 3 schools that one could argue are better to recruit for than Harvard or Princeton on the women's side. Just look at Princeton's record against the ACC last year 4-0. UNC now gets kids that couldn't get into Princeton in WSOC.

The talk of UNC or Duke leaving the ACC is insane. People are starting to think more about logistics/revenue loss of olympic sports and really only basketball (NCAA tournament) seems like the guaranteed cash cow. If Miami and VTech ever get back to historical norms ACC will be fine in football too. The travel for non-revenue sports for MD is stupid. The football revenue isn't as good from TV as people hoped. And that was clearly a mistake for MD to leave ACC. Why would any recruit for an olympic sport want the travel schedule of the big 10 from maryland vs. going to UVA, VT, UNC, or NC state from that region.

5. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He must be long past his epiphany of making a colossal mistake. That was probably during the 17-0 shutout run to close out last season...particularly on the field @ Lincoln on a cold night.

One of these guys was saying Driscoll was sniffing around UConn. I find that hard to believe, unless he was playing for a raise. The other factor is that Harvard/Princeton could charge double/triple/quad the rates for id and residential camps and the surgeon's kids will come, chch, they will most definitely come. Two jackpots.

6. Fekula

Fekula Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Eddie K, you said:
    "I would argue though that a $155 Million renovation of Cole Field house to build a state-of-the-art Football practice center and Sport Medicine/Research clinic is very significant. Yes, UA and Plank had a lot to do with it but Maryland taxpayers just funded the last $22 million installment. UMD gets 5-10 major projects funded each year and now that Cole is just about done, there will be more coming for Athletics for sure. Rt 1 in College Park and that campus is being upgraded constantly."

OK, 5-10 major projects? Where? Which ones? There is only one now for the Athletic Dept: the Cole renovation. Do you mean the campus as a whole? I assume you know the Univ. of Maryland is behind by nearly $1 billion dollars in construction, maintenance, and repair projects. The Diamondback, the student newspaper, reports it at $905 million as of 2015. When I worked on campus (2003 - 2001) the figure was over $600 million and it has only gotten worse. Membership in the B1G has not changed the situation at all. Here is the Diamondback article from two months ago, indicating that while new buildings are being built, older ones are badly in need of repair with the project backlog getting worse:

http://www.dbknews.com/2018/03/01/umd-construction-buildings-renovation-sustainability/

My view here is that the role of the B1G in providing funding for projects at Maryland has been greatly exaggerated. Here is an article from the Baltimore Sun from August 2017 which delineates the sources of funding for the Cole renovation and the new Sports Medicine Institute. The article indicates the ballooning cost of the project and the private fund raising effort to achieve it. The fundraising goal remains at $90 million dollars: The B1G relatively is a minimal source of money for the project:

"http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...s-sp-cole-field-house-expands-0808-story.html

You also said:

"About Cirovski, if the Big10 move had Zero to do with his salary increase, then what I had heard was bad information (that his base is 210 but the 'other' 230K came from a pool subsidized by the Big10 conf payout.) But, the point that UMD is paying any soccer coach over 400K tells me they can compete for just about anyone they want at that rate. Although I think that's a shitload of money, it's good that soccer folks are starting to get really paid, helps everyone."

It is very simple. If they didn't pay him that much he would have been gone a long time ago. In the meantime, this still does not explain why they lost really good coaches like Baseball's John Szefc and Volleyball's Steve Aird, two top notch coaches who were well on their way in building their programs; both programs on the verge of being regular participants in the NCAA Tournament. There is no doubt in my mind that if they had stayed they would have achieved that goal. Why are they gone? How did Maryland lose them? Again, if Maryland has the money that they want us to believe they have then they should not be losing the people they have lost. Keep in mind that Steve Aird left for another B1G school, Indiana. One would think Maryland would approximate the kind of revenue stream that Indiana has. That is two schools with good basketball and mediocre football in medium sized football stadiums.

Be careful about what they are telling you. There is always a party line at Maryland and it doesn't always add up.

7. Fekula

Fekula Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Correction: I worked on campus 2003 - 2001.

8. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Okay, now were talking to the real MD homers. Did you start this thread to bash Maryland? I think they’ve made some bad calls with staff and priorities for sure. Leone was not a good hire imho. I bet you’ll find folks critical in that way of every school in the country. I think 440K for a mens soccer coach means you get who you want (or keep who you want). Even the 150K for Leone means you get a pretty good applicant pool. If you want them to put 250K out there to do better than Leone, you can make that case. My point was, Penske started at 80k and became National COY (and got paid at UT), so 150K base now for a Leone type should be about right (or for let’s say a mid-major COY type or good P5 Asst).
    Lets just put some facts out there:

UMDs final ACC Payout in 2012 was 18M (which they did forfeit), the most recent 2017 Big10 Payout – 54M. I think that’s 36M more or tripled in 5 years. You’re saying NO effect on salaries?? Really?

UMCP claims 38,000 students, 4600 Academic Staff, 5400 Admin staff, and a $1.9B budget. They also just got 34.4M in State Capital Funding (22.2 was for Cole Renovation) in just this year. PLUS they do have a benefactor like UA’s Plank, and other donors of course, and have been raising lots more money overall. As the “flagship” school in a progressive high-tax State, plenty of folks around them are pretty envious (look up Penn State System where there was a recent strike at the d2s). For many years, they had Governors who funded UM schools well enough to freeze tuition for years (Glendening then O’Malley). MD State Employees just got a 2% raise for next year while teachers are striking in nearby states.
    But, yes, everyone wants more money all the time!

Some team sports salaries: Mens Lax- 422K, Women’s Lax- 273K, Mens soccer 440K, Women’s Soccer 155K, recently Baseball 260K. Public info at Balt Sun and other sources. Maybe these are just avg for the P5? They seem good enough to me.
    Some articles for you I found in about 30 seconds.

https://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/New-Big-Ten-Payout-Numbers-Look-Promising-for-Maryland-38298966
    https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimo...ty-of-maryland-to-receive-bigger-payouts.html
    http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/08/02/maryland-to-get-huge-big-ten-tv-payday-this-year/

From The Washington Business Journal detailed how the deals will directly impact Terrapins athletics:

Fox Sports will pay an average of $240 million per year over the six years, ESPN will pay $190 million per year and CBS will pay around $10 million per year for its basketball schedule. These media-rights deals will keep the Big Ten payouts among the richest for its schools, who are projected to collect about $51 million each in 2017-2018 [was $54], up from $36 million in 2016-2017 because of the new TV deals.

Those per-school payouts will increase annually through the end of these six-year deals in 2022-2023, and then the Big Ten will be back at the table for potentially even more revenue before any other power five conference.

That’s a nearly 42 percent increase from last season. The numbers just go to show that Maryland was correct in following the money to a conference with a TV network and the clout to negotiate additional deals.

9. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    the big 10 move has to have made it harder to recruit for olympic sports. Those folks have almost no chance of going pro, and the fact that family can't see them play away games must have some impact. I know of one kid who decommitted from UMD in olympic sport basically for that reason. If the football TV money does go down, this will be a complete losing idea. Basically trashed the "student athletes" in olympic sports for football money.
    http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/big-ten-adding-rutgers-maryland-major-problem-cable-dies.html

10. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Maryland doesn't get a full share of TV money until 2021 I can't find Maryland's number but Rutgers is only getting 11$ million compared to full members 51$. I think maryland and rutgers joined at the same time. In addition, maryland is getting "advances" on future revenue they are so broke.
    http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...al_rutgers_got_a_lousy_deal_from_the_big.html

Fekula repped this.
  11. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #36 Holmes12, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    And by 2020s, unless they figure something out with streaming (negotiating with amazon?), BTN could be buried with regional cable. Revenue sports clunker schools like UMCP and Rutgers, Missouri, in there for "new market", will become dead weight to be shed. Nobody wants to stream to watch them. Ironically, there could be a retraction shift back as cable revenue drops. See ESPN.

Fekula repped this.
  12. Fekula

Fekula Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Eddie, no I did not come here to bash Maryland, however, after covering Maryland in the media for 23 years I learned not to believe everything I am being told. The numbers and statistics you quote here are impressive, but I take note of the fact that you have not answered the questions I asked earlier in the thread. If Maryland really has the $$$$$$$$ that you say they do then:
    1) why was there not a major hire in football?
    2) why were we told that at least some of the sports that were eliminated would be brought back and why has that not happened?
    3) why were outstanding, up and coming head coaches like Steve Aird in Volleyball and John Szcef in Baseball hired away by schools that apparently had the money to lure them? On that note, you say that the B1G has so much more money than the ACC and yet Szcef ended up at Virginia Tech.
    4) You claimed that Maryland has major facilities upgrades for several sports but the only one you can name is the Cole renovation for Football. There are no other renovations going on and the idea of expanding Maryland Stadium was ditched long ago. No use is creating more seats for visiting Penn State and Ohio State fans.
    5) You say that ESPN is going to be a major source of television revenue when in fact, they can't even make payroll and are shedding employees.
    6) If in fact there is so much money coming in now then how come the campus is so far behind on renovation, repairs, and construction?

Look, I ask questions because I am a Maryland alumni, I worked as a reporter there, worked as a staff employee in an academic unit there, and volunteered at the campus crisis hotline back in the day. Some of my best friends still work there. I very much want to see Maryland succeed and at this point in my life, the place is like a home away from home. I am sorry if you think I am a Maryland hater, but the simple fact is I have been asking very basic questions for years and never get straight answers on matters that ought to have a clear explanation. And if the only defense I hear is accusations that I don't really care, that is confirmation that something is being kept from us.

That said, I will agree with you that this is getting circular. For the purposes of this thread, the main thing is the work of Ray Leone. I wish him the best and whether he ends up being the right guy or it is someone else, it is my sincere hope that women's soccer gets a good coach with a long-term commitment to the program similar to what we have seen in the men's soccer program. Cirovski has done an outstanding job overall. One can quibble with the one-and-done disappointments of the past two years, and I am not buying what he is selling in his efforts to "save" college soccer by making it a two-semester sport, but I can't complain about anything connected to his primary job: bringing winning soccer to Maryland, putting butts in seats, and getting his athletes to graduate on time. He does that all exceptionally well. Meanwhile, as a reporter I covered Maryland through Marcia McDermott, April Heinrichs,Alan Kirkup, Shannon Cirovski, Brian Pensky, Jonathan Morgan, and now Ray Leone. Some of those were good, some were outstanding, none of them stayed long enough to make a permanent difference. Shannon was there the longest and the program still didn't quite get to the levels it is capable of. And that is the concern here: a program that has great potential by way of its location in the DMV area, access to youth talent, knowledgeable fan base, Big Five conference affiliation, strong local rivalries ... there are a lot of reasons why they should succeed. What I really don't know is whether the Athletic Dept. is really committed to the program.

13. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #38 Holmes12, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    A major thing working vs. UMCP in recruiting coaches and revenue jox is the crappy, crowded locale with cost of living. Morgan was habitating a Laurel tenement. He might as well have rented an Ellicott dorm room. Most coaches, certainly those with families, are stuck with commutes from Annapolis, Montgomery or Howard (Potomac for the revs, Gaithersburg/Columbia and far beyond for the non-revs). Leone and Makoski carpool from Annapolis. No PG for any of these people.

In total hindsight, I never would have thought of this at the time, Cole was faaaar better recruiting bait than XFinity. Renovation, like Pauley Pavilion, would have been the optimal result. The whatever it is now center for whatever it is sports performance is a white elephant. I was underwhelmed by it. What's it for? Like XFinity, it can't get around it's locale and does nothing in selling.

14. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    The village idiot, holmesy, has soiled this thread and that's unfortunate so these are my final comments-
    There's clearly some disagreement about the financial health of UMD Athletics relative to the conference change. Fine. I didn't like the "conf shuffle". MD played a weekday game in Nebraska and that's ridiculous. Look at the WVU schedule- craziness. The Big10 is very solvent and becoming a great lacrosse and hockey conference so there are plenty of cool changes happening. BUT we aren't going back soon and UMD does have more money coming in then they did before AND its guaranteed money through 2023. Those are contractual facts.

Anderson just announced his official resignation Friday (the 13th) so some MD folks maybe 'got your wish'. Things could be changing with a new boss. I could not care less about baseball or volleyball but I agree that UMD is a "good gig" for all the reasons stated by Fekula.

UMD is willing to pay a soccer coach 440K. I don't know very many soccer coaches that would think that's a bad number. It does mean they have the resources they need to attract quality candidates in olympic sports.

I also agree with Fekula on much of his take on Leone.
    I think UMD could have done better. On paper, it seemed like a good hire but he's not a very pleasant person, not a good tactical coach, and while I can't speak to the quality of the training, the team does not play attractive soccer. Big State schools have lots of built-in good will. Homers, alumni, locals, whose good kids are going to that school no matter what and he has not taken full advantage of that. Or gone out and learned how to compete for nationally top-tier kids in the club circuit rat race. Could he at least leave the program in better shape than he found it? That should be pretty easy to do but I'm not betting on it.

15. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #40 Holmes12, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Zzzz. Does anything profound ever roll around inside that head of yours? Paragraphs of hot air watering down and backtracking your assertions to Feukula and *drumroll* UMCP could have "done better" than a guy who had a 3-15 record. Please go back on your vow, like you did "ignoring". Come on, we need more, my dear, arrogant man.

Fekula repped this.
  16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #41 Holmes12, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    I have to acknowledge chch, posting that link. It hypothesizes what I posted about, the cable and BTN grave. Very real possibilities.

I wonder about the level that travel to and from outposts affects recruiting...WVU...the whatever conference UNCC is in with those south Fla and far reaching Texas backwaters...the whatever conference UConn is in...

once past P5, school, locale, logo there aren't a lot of parents mulling factors like that. Not many with the choices to do so. Foreign players don't care.

17. Fekula

Fekula Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
  18. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    I am somewhat surprised there has been no apparent way for some College to only keep men's basketball and football, and whatever other Women's sports they need for title 9 compliance and ditch the rest. I assume none of the P5 conferences would let a school do that

19. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pretty sure the number of sports sponsored by the university is one of the determining factors of what division that school competes in. It says 14 for division I in this article.

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-does-ncaa-divisions-mean-3570381

20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Let me apologize to Terps fans if I had any role in bringing the village idiot into the conversation. Holmes is classic troll. OCD, paranoia, insecurity, bipolar, its all there. Some could study this troll. He's even a coward for taking down his initial response calling me an 'lbgt lover'. So add homophobe to his list of disorders. You should have said "proud" lbgt lover Holmes! Why'd you chicken out?

I'm sure Terps fans will be complaining about the Anderson replacement soon enough. When people stop caring enough to have an opinion is when you need to worry.
    Again, sorry. I tried to add something to the discussion for better or worse. I'll check back in a few months and see which of his handles has been banned.

21. Fekula

Fekula Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    From the NCAA Site: requirements to be in Division I:

"Division I member institutions have to sponsor at least seven sports for men and seven for women (or six for men and eight for women) with two team sports for each gender. Each playing season has to be represented by each gender as well. There are contest and participant minimums for each sport, as well as scheduling criteria. For sports other than football and basketball, Division I schools must play 100 percent of the minimum number of contests against Division I opponents -- anything over the minimum number of games has to be 50 percent Division I. Men's and women's basketball teams have to play all but two games against Division I teams; for men, they must play one-third of all their contests in the home arena. Schools that have football are classified as Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) or NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA). Football Bowl Subdivision schools are usually fairly elaborate programs. Football Bowl Subdivision teams have to meet minimum attendance requirements (average 15,000 people in actual or paid attendance per home game), which must be met once in a rolling two-year period. NCAA Football Championship Subdivision teams do not need to meet minimum attendance requirements. Division I schools must meet minimum financial aid awards for their athletics program, and there are maximum financial aid awards for each sport that a Division I school cannot exceed."

cpthomas repped this.
  22. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    #47 chch, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Cal Berkeley a few years ago was going to get rid of baseball and some other sports (though it seems this did not follow through).
    https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/sports/29cal.html

I know Johns Hopkins men's lacrosse is D1 with I think every other sport D3. so probably some exception.
    I just don't understand why some D1 school doesn't focus on the only men's money making sports (football and basketball), and then fill out D1 and Title 9 requirements with cross country and whatever else is cheapest. Especially since public schools are always looking for revenue.

Cal was close to cutting sports but looks like they had enough private fundraising to keep them. Seems like a dumb way to run an AD. And I learned that according to Cal's interpretation title 9 means proportionate athlete representation to student body and can be complied with by having bigger/smaller rosters. There seems to be a lot of wiggle room for title 9 but it seems no AD wants to start cutting sports.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/sports/29cal.html

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Hopkins Men’s and Women’s lacrosse are D1 ( Big 10 Conference) The rest of the sports are D3 in the centennial conference.

When the NCAA wanted to take over lacrosse from the USILA there was no way they could have shut out the most successful lacrosse program in history, so they considered Hopkins grandfathered. They had to move women’s lacrosse to D1 for title IX purposes in I think 1999.

Other schools can compete in D1, but have to maintain whatever scholarship level the rest of their sports compete at. At least they could until the Ncaa put a freeze on division hopping.

For instance, Hobart was one of the charter schools in the USILA from he turn othe last century and was originally also grandfathered. They won the last USILA championship in 1972.They compete now in D1, but have competed in D2 ( a couple championships in the 70’s) and D3 (virtually undefeated for a decade and won every championship in the 80’s.) But since they came to D1 from a lower division ( D3). they don’t give scholarships.

Hobart also competes in D1-AA football.

And Colorado College Women’s soccer is the only D1 sport at that school.

24. Fekula

Fekula Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    OK, there has been a lot of criticism of Ray Leone on this thread. I will add this link from the departmental website, re: Maryland Women's Soccer winning the President's Cup as the Maryland women's team with the highest grade point average. (out of 11 women's teams). The release includes 14 women's soccer players who were named Big Ten All-Academic. It does matter that they are getting it done in the classroom and Leone gets his share of the credit for it:

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=211715283

25. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This only matters if they don't care about winning, if they care about winning this won't be enough long term. This isn't a mid major we are talking about.