Marvin Ceballos

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bjorn Runstrom counts as a failure? 3 games and no scores at striker...but they tried

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I found particularly frustrating was that some of the guys they brought in did not stick around long enough to determine whether they were "successes," "failures," or something in between. Specifically, guys like Castillon, Zerka, Lekic, and of course, Milton Caraglio, our first-ever "DP," a.k.a. "The $54,000 Man."

To be clear, I have less of an issue if they decide these guys weren't working out, but the fact that after deciding not to bring them back (after a half-year each), in each instance, they had no one, that's right, no one to replace guys who were at least adequate players (although we never knew about Castillon since he never played.)

RevsLiverpool and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bow to your prescience...

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillion to me was an epic failure. This guys was signed for a large amount of money and played all of what 25 minutes? This had to have been a case of either signing someone they never saw in person based on recommendations or someone they saw on DVD. If you are going to pay someone well over 300k you need to do your homework.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So about "Marvelous" Marvin Ceballos.

Anyone else find it ridiculous we are on page 4 of a thread about a guy who has not officially been announced yet? Are we that desperate for new blood in the team? I guess so!

He's about as real in a revs uniform as Fangoso at the moment.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost as ridiculous as the fact that his name was in the Player's Union salary report, but the Revs still haven't announced his signing....

RevsLiverpool and firstshirt repped this.
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His signing will be announced at the Ralston, Twellman and Joseph appreciation night

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, but if you don't sign anyone, then the win rate is %0.

9. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, in a pathetic, ad absurdam, way, it is indeterminate (division by zero). Back in the day, when I was on the math team in high school (my kids love to call me a geek:cool:), we would have said infinite.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to summer signings, it seems like the revs FO is "trying" for an infinite number this year...

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Every team is going to have their personnel failures (think Dallas regrets letting Woodbury go?). I count Caraglio, Sinovic and Mullins as some really painful ones. Zerka's a guy that they decided was too expensive, but you are right, since they never really found a better alternative, it looks penny-wise and pound foolish.

Caraglio, I think, was more about nervousness over his knee problems. But, they made the wrong call there, for sure. He was exactly what they needed over the next few years. Even now he'd look really good holding up for us.
    I have to assume there's some legal/beaurocratic snafu holding it up.
    Indeterminate sounds even worse in this context! ;)

12. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Since Woodbury wouldn't start for Dallas over Atiba Harris, no I'm not sure they really regret that. He's be a nice bench piece, but hardly a huge miss.

Also, Feilhaber is a pretty big miss that no one wants to mention. People can talk all they want about him not giving the effort, but I see that as him being fed up with a horrible team that show'd no ambition. He'd proven before and he's proven after that he's a top player. He's more talented than anyone the Revs have had outside of Jermaine Jones.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you about Feilhaaber being a pretty big miss for the Revs, but the bolded part ? Ok, that's not true.
    On the current Revs I rate Nguyen as more talented. As I do Dempsey and Sharlie Joseph from past teams. I would also say that Stevie Ralston and Taylor Twellman were at least as talented.
    That said, I agree that Bennie would have been of immense help to our current team. Imagine a midfield anchored by Jones and with Nguyen and Feilhaber creating chances forward...... all it would have taken is for the Krafts to actually care about the team. We certainly had the DP slots available.....:rolleyes:

14. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think Bennie only is the player he is now because of his poor experience on the revs and then his experience of sitting on the bench at Kansas city. That really helped motivate him to get his work rate up and make him more effective. Had he stayed, he would probably have continued to be a bit if a luxury player I think.

15. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Yeah I didn't really word that the way I was thinking. I meant Jermaine is the only player more talented since Feilhaber, though I would say Feilhaber is more talented than all those players but Dempsey. Not as good a player, but more talent.

16. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Marvin's not coming

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW, just WOW :devilish::devilish::devilish:

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burns can't get a deal done with a $50K (according to MLSPA) player? How he keeps his job baffles me...

firstshirt repped this.
  19. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass

I'd guess Marvin just informed Heaps and Burns that he's not a central defender, so no deal was made.

20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Yawn. Nothing new to see here.

dncm repped this.
  21. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Lemieux says Burns claims they were "close" on several DP and non-DP players, and that they need to make something happen with the Sporting partnership, blah blah blah. Oddly, Burns says that in addition to signing a defender, they're trying to also sign a forward. That's bizarre.

dncm repped this.
  22. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is hilarious, in a sad sort of way.

23. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Burns forgot to tell him about the part time job at Home Depot in addition to his salary? That could have sealed the deal.

Seriously, this guy was a free transfer at a low salary. What good was he really going to do? But the most annoying part is that even with questionable credentials, Burns could not close the deal and lost to a no name NASL team. That is the ultimate failure on this one. What chance do we have of signing that German player mentioned in another column here unless Jones gets involved? I'd say zero chance

24. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Not a big loss, though I'd love to hear how made the MLSPA salary listing. Sounds like Burns got tricked again.

dncm repped this.
  25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys just relax. Mike is trying really really hard. :cool: How many times are we going to hear they were really close to signing someone?