Marvin Ceballos

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The revs have signed the 23 year old Guatemalan after a successful trial back in June. Apparently the deal is done according to this source and the revs are waiting on paperwork. Pirlo he ain't but we'll take any reinforcements we can get at this point. Welcome to the Revs, Marvin!

MLSFan123 repped this.
  2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooray, defensive help, finally!

Wait, he's not a defender? Well, at least he's a d-mid and can play back there from time to-

Oh. He's an attacking player. Hmm.

Well, better than nothing, I guess. I hope he does well, but this seems like an itch that didn't need priority scratching.

RevsLiverpool and BrianLBI repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Finally, ... something. If this lets them make some deals that rebalance the roster and bring in some of the things (leadership, physicality, tactical awareness, ...) that only Jones seems to provide, then this is a good building block.

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    If you haven't eaten in days, day old bread and a bruised banana start looking pretty tasty.

a517dogg repped this.
  5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he can be our Marco Pappa.

6. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Getting a Fernando Cardenas, Argenis Fernandez, Mauricio Castro vibe from this one.

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I know a lot of people on this board would disagree but I thought Cardenas and Castro were both useful players with talent who deserved a better chance than they got.

Doublecard, Revolusean, patfan1 and 2 others repped this.
  8. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, I also thought Cardenas was a decent talent. Regarding Ceballos, I'm getting a similar vibe. He's only played in his (poor) domestic league, has youth national team caps but not senior caps, doesn't have his own English wiki page, plays a position where we already have a lot of coverage - this seems a lot like a "warm body" signing to me.

dncm repped this.
  9. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    The whole "thin on defense" thing just started this year. They'll look into addressing it in the next offseason (assuming we don't squeak into the playoffs, in which case there's obviously no issue...).

joegrav repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you also have to remember, if they make the playoffs, that will delay any further player additions because ... well, they just don't have time for those kinds of unimportant things!

11. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Maybe it's more appropriate for the roster thread and I know I've said this before, but I can't believe they're having such a hard time finding defenders - decent defenders are dime-a-dozen all over the world and should be the easiest player position to fill up.

12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    He is not on their Gold Cup roster.

That is NOT a Jones level signing at all, so it puzzles me too unless like rkupp says it is part of other plans.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would argue this has been a problem for several years but if we want to say last year we had enough depth then it started before the end of last season when Soares' MLS contract was expiring in December. The team gambled he'd stay and re-sign or wouldn't land in Europe. Then he left, to the apparent surprise of the FO and we were a starting CB short in the winter. Soares officially signed with Viking FK in Norway on Feb 23.

Two months go by, still down a starting caliber CB.

Then Barnes gets injured and placed on DL April 24. Out til October. The baseline lack of CB role depth has now become even more problematic. Heaps decides to play JJ at CB. The captain fills in admirably but gets injured at the end of May - out til August.

So here we are in July, 4.5 months after Soares officially left -let alone his contract expired- and there is a razor thin margin of error with Farrell pairing JoGo and your starting RB Woodberry able to play CB in a pinch.

My point is, this all started with failing to prepare for the departure of, and then replace AJ soares last fall.

patfan1 repped this.
  14. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what's worse, knowing Soares was trialing abroad and failing to prepare, not knowing he was trialing and being surprised.

ToMhIlL and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  15. Minuteman

Minuteman Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Abington, MA
    Maybe not but I feel Nguyen & Rowe have asses that need a little gentle kicking. They need to feel some heat.

Revs in 2010 and ToMhIlL repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the folks who think that some of us are too harsh on Burns, this is it in a nutshell.

If you sign a guy who doesn't work out, fair enough, but when you aren't even aware of the contract status of one of your starting players (or worse, you are so arrogant that you think he, with an EU passport, has no other options), and you don't even consider a plan B, you deserve whatever ridicule you get when you say you are "surprised" by the move.

RevsLiverpool and a517dogg repped this.
  17. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. No part of this team is firing on close to all cylinders right now.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think Nicol was ever very good at utilizing Latin American players. He got a bunch, some of them pretty good players, but ended up working them off the team rather than working them into the lineup.

I'm not sure Heaps can/will be any better in that regard. The Bengtson situation has to be strike one.
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that last offseason was typical - it was about the weakest roster enhancement that the Revs have had in a long time. No 1st round draft pick (and virtually nothing out of the entire draft), a pretty good prospect (1st round pick) lost in expansion, almost nothing (Hall) from the redistribution draft and NO foreign acquisitions. The only significant additions were Okoli and Woodbury (who, fortunately, turned into a real find) and the return of Agudelo - who hasn't really clicked consistently at all.

This is not to excuse the inaction/failure to acquire players, but you can go back year by year and virtually every year they were more active and signed more experienced players.

This wasn't a typical year - it was the low point in a long, long time.
    I'm pretty sure Rowe feels the heat. He's lost his starting spot and has to fight for minutes off the bench. And, I don't see any problem with his effort or preparation.

I thought that Nguyen has had some games where he didn't seem to be fighting too hard, but I think the problem with both players is that they're having trouble getting into a rhythm where the game starts to flow - they're still fighting it.

19. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of tweets from the Revs and posts from many here on what a successful draft we had this year. This draft enabled us to re-sign teal, etc. I argued that Teal was a retention move, not a roster building move. Still believe that Teal's future is at right back.

20. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Aside from the draft picks (which don't always pan out anyways) it was probably an average or better offseason.

21. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think our draft position and our decision to protect Alston are unrelated.

22. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Ceballos is an attacking player, but defends very well too. He may come from a pretty poor league but this kid is an incredibly hard worker and has the skills to be a really good player. I'm hoping he impresses you guys as much as I think he can.

SJB, Jon Martin, patfan1 and 6 others repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the scoop, drerodz. I hope you're right about him!

24. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching last night I wish we got Mejia who I think was rumored awhile ago

25. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Mejia has great speed. Him and Kendall Herrarte covered Yedlin pretty well. Comunicaciones has been really working hard at trying to get players out of Guatemala.