Marvel Studios

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by General Disarray, Apr 4, 2014.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was going to be quick to say no, but then I saw the International numbers. It is doing really well. It may actually get there.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Seems like it is doing better internationally than Wonder Woman did. It already made 75% of Diana Prince's movie's international take after one weekend.
    Since that movie made 821 million worldwide, I'm guessing that Wonder Woman will at least flirt with a 1 billion dollars in box office revenue.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It also kind of proves that it is really about quality and not gender, apart from a very small yet very loud and angry group of online misogynists.

I still believe that the Ghostbusters reboot didn't do as well as some expected not because of the all-female cast but because the screenplay was less than great. That doesn't seem to be the problem with Captain Marvel.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Also that Marvel brand. It can sell anything. I'd love to see a hot mess from them (probably won't happen for a while). Just a sloppily made film. With the right PR; i'm sure it'd manage 600 million worldwide. Though Ant-Man (very little known) and has Rudd (lovable guy to many) and it only grossed $625 million for the sequel despite more action infused into it. Maybe it's just because Ant-Man doesn't focus on "save the entire world" type of a theme. And it's a film the whole family can enjoy.

What's interesting for me is how everyone loved Thor Ragnarok and yet it only grossed $850 million or so. Now, that's nothing to laugh at. But considering BP blew way past it and CM is due to do the same. It still kinda evokes if TR could have been a bigger Hit or not.

luftmensch, sitruc and Belgian guy repped this.
  5. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3, if it ever gets made, has the best chance of this happening IMHO after the whole director fiasco.

Belgian guy repped this.
  6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It still made a lot more than both of the first two films in the Thor franchise.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think their best chance to avoid this is to give the gig to Taika Waititi.

sitruc repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thats quite right. And its thr only Thor film I like

sitruc and Belgian guy repped this.
  9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #834 Dante, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019

That's gotta be Kate Bishop with Hawkeye right?

10. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, guess not.

I guess they couldn't find someone else to do it without a cast mutiny.

I'm curious to find out Marvel's next slate of films after Endgame. We have a new Spiderman coming out later this year, but after that? Unless Marvel has been filming something without it getting out (which for a whole production would be very hard to do) there's going to be a gap after Spiderman. These movies take about two years to make, correct? Next film might not come out until November 2020, if not later.

luftmensch and Belgian guy repped this.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The James Gunn thing is weird. I've read some people who claim that Disney and James Gunn always agreed to this and he has secretly been on board for a while now. I don't believe it. Mostly because I don't believe Disney/Marvel would have committed to him and allowed him to do Suicide Squad II for WB/DC in that scenario.

Mach1 and Dr.Phil repped this.
  12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Weird that Marvel & Disney had to be shamed into adding Danai Gurira's name to the poster.

LouisianaViking07/09 and sitruc repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wonder if this was part of promotion or so.

Belgian guy repped this.
  14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Captain Marvel has already outearned Wonder Woman's international box office take by nearly 100 million dollars. Captain Marvel will overtake the DC female superhero movie in total box office earnings this weekend. I would be very interested in seeing what Marvel had projected for this movie. As it stands, this movie will certainly outearn "Thor: Ragnarok" and might push past the 1 billion dollars treshold.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you read the CG peoples stuff, lol

they're the same people that give you this... (read the comments to see the people they attract)

Belgian guy and sitruc repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's the downside of the MCU's expectations. Captain Marvel should reach a billion. If that's less due to the domestic; it shouldn't be a biggie. Some folks complained that BP grossed more domestically than overseas like a majority of the MCU films.

For a character who was probably C-list, it's a huge success.

Dante repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I refuse to give them clicks.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yeah, if they are going to argue that a billion dollar movie is a box office bust, they are so far into cuckoo land that it's honestly a bit sad and pathetic.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Looking at it in more detail, Wonder woman made 275 million in its first eighteen days (domestically). Captain marvel made 270 million over the same period. But - and there is a big but in there - this period included three weekends for the DC superheroine movie and just two weekends for the Marvel one. So those numbers are definitely a bit distorted in the favor of Wonder Woman and I think if we include a third weekend, Captain Marvel will become the clear winner domestically as well as internationally.

I will say that Wonder Woman was the kind of slow burner that has been relatively rare nowadays. So I wouldn't be surprised if Captain Marvel had more of a drop-off after its third weekend than Wonder Woman did.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That would def be probable. I recall WW having longer legs whereas Captain Marvel opened quite big and may not have that "OOMPH" factor to keep people coming in week after week. Also, Jordan Peele's US opens this weekend and will kill some of its buzz. But it's a hit in every which way.

sitruc and Belgian guy repped this.
  21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So Captain Marvel is now past Wonder Woman in terms of its worldwide take.
    Interestingly enough, it is still lagging behind considerably in terms of its domestic take.
    As per the most recent numbers available on Box Office Mojo, the Brie Larson flick has taken 295 million on the American market whereas the Gal Gadot one took 412 million. Considering how much Captain Marvel has cooled down already (with "Us" stealing its thunder this weekend) I'm not sure if they can hope to match that Wonder Woman domestic figure.

sitruc and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So, if it say finishes around 350 domestic and 1.1 billion WW, will trolls cease and desist?

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure every single one of those trolls has seen the movie three times.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I swear I had no idea the Simpsons were covering this some tonight.