Marvel Studios

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by General Disarray, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I watched the first episode of "Jessica Jones" season two.
    It was decent.
    I'm pretty sure she was watching the original "The Killers" up on that roof and I wonder if that will somehow inform the themes of this season. That is a story about the past catching up with an individual, after all.
    Also, who is Trish's new boyfriend? He wasn't in season one. Was he introduced in one of the other shows?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's a new character. You have to remember its been a year since season 1 and probably a few months since The Defenders.

Belgian guy repped this.
  3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Four episodes into "Jessica Jones" season two.
    I thought that Kilgrave would leave a huge hole in this season but it's been fine so far. I think I underestimated the degree to which Krysten Ritter is a compelling lead. I also like her dynamic with Malcolm this season.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm unsure really. I have a mixed decision. But it's def weaker than the 1st

5. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also four episodes in. It was a very slow start, and I didn't enjoy the first couple episodes (more emo than action), but it's really started to pick up. It is definitely missing an antagonist on the level of Kilgrave.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That was always going to be the case but I do think that Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones is compelling enough to keep it entertaining. Though whether or not that holds through throughout all 13 episodes remains to be seen.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Six episodes in (to "Jessica Jones" season 2).
    That reveal at the end of episode 6 caught me off guard.
    "The past has a way of catching up to you" or something to that extent was actually used as a line of dialogue, so it's pretty clear that "The Killers" being the movie Jessica was watching on the roof top when Trish came to visit was meant to be a form of foreshadowing.
    I have been enjoying this. At the same time, I get why this show might not appeal to someone who is looking for a real superhero TV show. It's pretty obvious that the showrunner and her writers find Jessica's powers the least interesting aspect of the main character and her trauma the most interesting aspect. I know this was already the case in season one too, but they have doubled down on this in season two.
    My one tiny quibble is that I find the Trish stuff less interesting. Certainly not interesting enough so far to justify the amount of time devoted to it.

luftmensch repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Trish's arc this season has been god-awful and totally bi-polar

luftmensch and Belgian guy repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really wanted to love this as i find season 1 to be the best. But it fell apart. Too much time dedicated to her mom. Back and forth. It was worst than the dozen times the writing somehow let Kilgrave get away from Jessica.

Marvel needs to realize we don't need the villain in every single episode or even 10 of 13 episodes. Let there be an overall story arc but let it fly under the radar for a few eps before back in the spotlight.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Eight episode into "Jessica Jones" season two.
    The flashback episode really hurt the momentum. Not that it was a bad episode per se, but it hit the pause button on the main narrative at an inopportune time.
    After "The Killers", now we get "Touch of Evil" on their rooftop cinema. A story about a man's dogged attempt at getting justice and how this endangers the person he loves the most in the world.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Ten episodes into "Jessica Jones" season 2.
    I'm still liking it, whilst I have to concede that these latest two episodes were a bit all over the place. The Trish story line is getting increasingly more silly.
    Not sure what the evil guard story-line is adding at this point of the season either.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Twelve episodes into "Jessica Jones" season 2.

A bit of bullshit in these latest two episodes.

Show Spoiler

So the cops won't find it odd that Dale left no fingerprints on the laptop he used to write his suicide letter? :rolleyes: It's a suspicious death so there will 100% be an investigation and that would surely be one of the first things they check.

Jessica could have easily saved the Doctor but she didn't even try. Which makes no sense considering how important Karl was to her mother.

Also, why is Jessica so hard on Malcolm when none of this mess would have happened without Trish's bullshit? I know she has a much longer relationship with Trish, but that still felt weird.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Watched episode 13 of "Jessica Jones" season 2, which means I'm done with the entire season.

This started out strongly but then it turned into the umpteenth Marvel Netflix show guilty of Netflix bloat. I think they could have gotten a decent six or seven episode season out of the Alisa Jones story-line. The attempt to pad it with the Trish story-line (which started out rather averagely and turned into something borderline stupid by the end of the season) and the Jeri Hogarth story-line (certainly more interesting than the Trish story-line but not interesting enough to justify the time devoted to it) was misguided.

I also think that this will be a divisive season of Marvel TV, as it's certainly the Marvel Netflix series least interested in superhero tropes. It especially stands in sharp contrast if the latest Marvel Netflix show you watched before this was "The Punisher".

My revised ranking of the seasons and shows I've seen within the Marvel Netflix universe:

1. The Punisher
    2. Daredevil season 2
    3. Daredevil season 1
    4. Jessica Jones season 1
    5. Jessica Jones season 2
    6. Luke Cage

Apart from "The Punisher", I thought Luke Cage started out most strongly out of all of the Marvel Netflix shows, but it utterly deflated after Cottonmouth disappeared from it, to a point that was scarcely believable. Which was a bit of a problem, considering that this happened as early as the halfway point of the season.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You rank this over Luke Cage? Come on. At least divide LC into a season of 2 halves.

I rank

JJS1
    DDS1
    Luke Cage 1st half of the season
    The Punisher
    DDS2
    The Defenders
    Luke Cage 2nd half of the season
    JJS2
    Iron Fist S1

luftmensch repped this.
  16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    "Luke Cage" after Cottonmouth is gone is definitely worse than "Jessica Jones" season 2 imho.

But if I rated Luke Cage only by its best episodes (which isn't fair to the rest of the shows but whatever) it would probably be my n°2 right after "The Punisher".

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's why i broke it into 2 halves. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

2nd half of LC is pretty ridiculous, but funny. 2nd half of JJ is downright depressingly bad.

But both are way better than Iron Fist, which I'm sure we can agree. :)

Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I know, but I judged all of the shows (or at least each individual season of them) on their entire run. That's a big part of the reason why "The Punisher" is my n°1. I think it's the only of the Marvel Netflix shows that isn't guilty of the Netflix bloat.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I haven't seen "Iron Fist". But a big reason why I haven't much interest in seeing it is the near universal panning by those who have seen it.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what about DD season 1? It managed quite well.

The Punish was good, but I felt the HYPE dampened my interest. I was expecting far more than what we got. I look forward to season 2. It's pretty clear the writers are big fans and so are the execs.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're quite lucky. You can almost pretend it doesnt exist. Sadly, I can not :mad::cry:

Belgian guy repped this.
  22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm one of those people that rank Iron Fist over Jessica Jones season 1, that's how much I disliked JJ.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You really are Mirror Universe Spock :p

24. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wouldn't go quite that far, but I just didn't understand the appeal of Jessica Jones Season 1, to the point where I don't have any inclination to see the second, and I say this as someone who binged every Netflix Marvel show within a week of coming out. Jones' whole schtick of "I don't care, I'm an alcoholic who hates everyone, except maybe I do care, but I'm still gonna act like I don't care" just isn't compelling for me. At all. It became especially grating during the Defenders. Kilgrave's uniquely challenging power set basically saved JJ season one from being worse than Iron Fist.

Dante repped this.
  25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can someone who has seen Jessica Jones season two please tell me whether or not Jones undergoes genuine character development over the course of the season where she grows as a person and isn't a major dick to everyone? Because that's basically the only way I'm gonna see it.