Martin Tyler on ESPN

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lithium858, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darke has been excellent, I must agree. Although I fail to see the problem with Tyler.

2. Riben

Riben Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Miami
    what about Ally Mccoist he has been quality even though he lost his voice during a math...Ekoku is awesome (schoolboy mistake)

3. davoo

davoo Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I love Ally,
    I throughly enjoy listening to him, likewise Ian, i would rate those 2 as my favorites.

4. LenF

LenF Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I like Tyler and Ekoku, as well but not together. I would rather Tyler be paired with someone with a bit more authority in his voice, like Ally and Darke be paired with Ekoku to give the pairs some balance.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only people that ESPN needs to replace for 2014, or 2012 even for the Euros is Ekoku and Harkes. There are better options than Ekoku and I just hope that ESPN can find some other former American player that is better at color commentary than Harkes or Wynalda.

6. LenF

LenF Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I throw an idea out there for an American analyst... Since everyone is so down on the former players that have tried their hand on commentary, why not go a different route and try someone like Grant Wahl? The guy is well-spoken and already covers the sport and his deliberate style of talking might work pretty well with someone like Darke or Healey.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard him speak, so I can't give an opinion on him. i'd just like someone who can give a bit more depth to a broadcast than, "well that was a great ball, followed by a great shot. You can see the ball is struck well, and it ends up in the back of the net."

8. LenF

LenF Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard him on a few interviews and he's not bad... I'm not sure how he'd translate to the role of "color analyst" but given that the pool of former-players has turned out to be a pretty barren experience, it's hard to imagine him lowering the bar. Maybe try him out in the studio first... I don't know... I can't think of any slam dunk at this point.

9. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I like the idea of Grant Wahl but he might be better as a studio analyst. Either way, ESPN would not be making a mistake in bringing him on board. He certainly knows more about players and the game in general than either Harkes, Lalas or Foudy.

A name that I think would be a great one for ESPN to try to bring on board as a studio analyst (not sure if it's possible since I think he works for BBC) would be the Vickipedia, Tim Vickery especially since the World Cup will be in Rio. Now that guy knows his footy especially in South America.

10. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i bet martin tyler is cheap because he sucks. Otherwise, there is no reason no retain him. They guy can't even go 5 seconds without mentioning England. And imagine him doing the Algeria game. "Well it's a save by howard, oh look landon has the ball now, oh its in the net."

11. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Because another football code is more popular in those countries then Association Football: codes like American Football, Canadian Football, Aussie Footy, Gaelic Football (Ireland), Rugby Football (NZ & SA).Also notice the word is still used in England at times.

12. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    I take it you're not a fan of Ian Drake or even Ally McCoist then. Nobody say a commentator has to turn into a gimmick like Ray Hudson, but there's a difference between being subdued but still involved in the game and completely sound disinterested. I've been listening to Tyler for a decade now and there's no denying that he's a shell of his former self.

13. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    They were never called United States Football Federation, but rather United States of America Football Association when it was created then as American Football became more and more popular it was changed first to United States Soccer Football Association, then eventually to United States Soccer Federation.

14. TFC USA

TFC USA New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    He's 65 years old. Give him a break. Just listen to him 11 years ago.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiO7PoCZyY&feature=fvw"]YouTube- Man Utd 2 - 1 Liverpool (FA Cup - 1999)[/ame]

15. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry, what does that have to do with espn retaining a guy clearly past his prime for 2014?

Of course the guy has been good, but he's nothing impressive this time around, so why should he get picked up again?

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You assume incorrectly

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

I don't really want Martin Tyler for 2014 for the same reason why I don't want Pele for my team now. They were great once upon a time, but not so much anymore.

18. davoo

davoo Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    have to say, Martin Tyler was exceptional today, enjoyed listening to him

19. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya he was. maybe he's like wine, gets better as the tournament goes on. I just don't like when he does a final because his goal calls are like "Oh it's in the net" because he's talking about something else

20. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    His best call in the WC today, alot of energy in the right moments. Great call from him.

21. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    esp when he talked about someone buying Johan Cruyff a ticket to the game (since he said he wouldn't pay to see this Brazil team)

22. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    he really spunked up when the Dutch scored their second goal, the crews are so euro-biased it's plain to see.

wonder what he'll be like in 4 years?

still enjoying.....

23. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's EURO bias, I think that's underdog bias.

24. TFC USA

TFC USA New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Never knew how many people on BS hate Europe.

I bet you if Brazil scored you would claim he's got a stiffy for Brazil because they're Brazil.

25. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    martin tyler never shuts up about england. That's my only "Euro" gripe with him