Marlos Moreno - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by MiLo4891, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  2. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    more good Marlos news, now he's injured and has been left out of the matchday squad

3. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's just great...I really hope that his agent won't screw him with wrong decisions. Marlos needs to return to Colombia or to be in a team where he can get playing time. I don't see him return to Europe anywhere soon and it'll be really shame to lose this kind of talent.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico here we come.
    :p

5. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    #380 Azucarero, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Marlos starting against Sport Recife and just got an assist. This will probably be the best match he's played yet for Flamengo.

Cuellar has been solid, as usual

Edit: oh and Uribe started and got an assist too

HomietheClown, Doogs, ryu79 and 3 others repped this.
  6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Vamos!

crzdcolombian repped this.
  7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Awesome news of all the players I hope recovers their confidence and form this kid is on the top of my list.

8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1023973140446277632 is not a valid tweet id

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Let's hope he keeps it up.

They are using him on the left side and he is cutting in towards the middle and providing excellent through ball passes on the ground as per usual.

I am still hoping he is used on the right side on the National team level because I think he can eventually replace Cuadrado next cycle.

Him on the right and Izzy on the left could give any back lines fits.

10. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I don't think Izzy really offers a ton on the left, I've watched a lot of him last season and although he was on a team that doesn't attack a lot he really didn't provide much of a threat. He finishes well cutting in but he doesn't dribble much and goes completely absent from games way too often (did the same when he played for Colombia). He's already 26 so I don't see that changing that much but Marlos on the left would be so much better if he can get back on track, just way more of a threat on the ball.

Cruzifero repped this.
  11. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I disagree that he didnt provide a consistent threat on that left flank. It's his 1st year in EPL and really didnt get to have too many games under his belt until well into the season (Nov). Sutton is a very conservative manager and was asking double duties for a guy that should be playing much higher up the pitch. You need time to adjust to a new league, new team, new language, specially considering the jump from Belgian league to EPL. The manager also has to get to understand where your strengths and weakness fall within the team. But it's not like you look at the Brighton roster and said wow, there's someone else that can do a much better job. Let's let him get through a proper season with Brighton as a regular starter and see how he does. As for Colombia, I agree, he looked out of sorts. It may be that he was trying too hard to win a WC spot but I def see him being a part of this next qualifying campaign. If Marlos can get back on track than it would be great to see some speed on those wings as options.

pepinointer repped this.
  12. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah I agree new team, new league and they didn't attack a lot, but I can only go based on what I've seen from him this year and before that he was in a much weaker league in Belgium. I hope he shows more but up to this point I haven't seen him as a guy who will constantly beat his man, doesn't seem to have a lot of tools in his toolkit other then cutting inside and shooting. Usually guys go from being dribblers and taking people on to then becoming less so as they get older, so not sure he'll become that type of player when he's already 26, which is ok as well but I think it limits his ceiling, Marlos on the other hand has a high ceiling as a wide forward if he can figure some things out I just don't see Izzy moving the needle or being a consistent starter for Colombia.

13. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    There are plenty of examples of amazing speedy dribblers +26yrs old..look no further than Bayern --. DT (Chris Houghton), is a defensive coach first and attacking only comes as an after thought in his teams. He doesnt want some carro loco out on the wing to lose the ball on his side of the half so he makes sure his defense is compact and always behind the ball if they lose it. They have a very 'park the bus' mentality against the stronger sides. If you look at many of Izzys goals last year, many of them were clear counterattacks that started deep on the Brighton side. That plays to Izzy's strengths in beating his opponent with speed and pace but it will exhaust the crap out of any player. You look at Ribery (35), he usually starts much of his play on the midway line. But Izzy has to drop all the way to his box to cover the opponents MF. Still, I think he's perfectly skillful with 1 v 1s. Again, it's just not what the DT is asking of him.

As for Marlos, we all know his story. Quick rise to fame and glory. Way too fast for any teenager. He couldnt handle the pressure cooker and attention---eventually lost confidence and has been passed off from club to club. So while his career has had huge peaks and valleys (in a time where younger futboleros need stability), he's really been trending 'down to flat' for the past 2 years. Izzy on the other hand has had a slower route to success but you can't deny he's had more years of positive growth at club than Marlos. at this point in their career I would choose proven (Izzy) over stronger potential (Marlos) for the NT, if I had to make the choice 'today'. Once Marlos can start performing for club week in and week out and can handle pressure better than we can see where he stands. He is still technically a Man City player for 3 more years so this will likely not be his last club.

14. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think you're missing my point. Ribery and Robben were always big dribblers who were a constant threat from the wings, usually the projection of a career is not you go from someone who isn't a big dribbler to a big dribbler as a projection. And sure Izzy may have all these things to offer, but that means nothing if there isn't a sample size to see him doing it and if he's not practicing it week in and week out in game conditions.

I agree he's doing what his coach asks but he hasn't shown at the top level what would be needed to be a starter for us off the left, either at club or with Colombia with the chances he's been given. So if he can't show it at club level and he can't show it for Colombia on his chances not really sure where I should make my basis on, if that changes then I'd be happy to change my opinion but at this point I just see him completely absent from games too often and that isn't someone I'd think would give us a huge threat going forward base don the evidence he's providing. If we needed someone to be disciplined and do the job defending and play deep then by all means we know he's shown he can do that, but its his career and he's at the drivers seat and until we see different we can't attribute all these skills to someone who isn't displaying it.

15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Keep in mind that Pekerman JUST started to bring him in for the Nov 2017 friendlies. So for a team that was pretty much solidified in Pekerman's head and with most having played WCQ, it's a tough ask to request from a player like Izzy or anyone else for that matter to integrate into the DT plans perfectly. However, He made enough of an impact in the friendlies with the little time he was given to make the final 23. Let that sink in for a minute. He made the final WC roster in fewer games (all friendlies) than any other Colombian player that made the final WC roster. Add to it, that he was in the STARTING 11 for game 1. He didnt look good or great, I'll give you that. He was unfortunate to find himself in such a bad situation, 1 man down vs Japan right from the start. You really want a guy dribbling 1 v 1s, with 10 men? That flank along with Mojica proved to be a bad idea, partly because you were starting 2 players that had very little playing time together.

My counterpoints were mainly to address how quickly you're dismissing Izzy (based on sample size as you call it) but somehow think Marlos is a much better option because of his potential to dribble 1 v 1. Marlos has pretty much been invisible for the past 2 years, that's a fact. All the crazy step overs and dribbles dont win you games. In comparison, Brighton payed a record fee for their club to bring Izzy in last year based on what he does week in and week out. By the way, I also watched pretty much every BHA match last season and saw him take plenty of players 1 v1 but he doesn't take the same risks as he did with Brugge, partly because Brugge is a perennial powerhouse in Belgium where they are deeper in every line than most teams. BHA was still battling fear of relegation well until the last couple games of the season.

dapip repped this.
  16. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Marlos is 21, Izzy is 26. I don't think Marlos is anywhere near starting for us, any Manchester City which is one of the best teams in the world currently especially for young talent signed him, so its not like he doesn't have pedigree either. Izzy is 26 and is probably closer to where he is going to be for his career whereas Marlos is just getting started, I think Marlos has a much higher ceiling and a bigger skill set.

Izzy is good enough to be on our roster at this point, but Pekerman also didn't start James, Mina, Uribe that game and has had some head scratchers selection wise, Izzy will need to take his chances and show more to be solidified in our set up and he needs to do a lot more then he's done currently. I don't think he's better then Muriel or will overtake him, Muriel has shown he's a better player for me in all areas and has done it in tough leagues for a good while. For me I see guys like Carrascol in Ukraine and Cucho and maybe even Villa probably surpassing Izzy unless he can beat them out with his performances, and he hasn't shown for me yet that he's going to be a mainstay for us. Even through I get frustrated with Cuadrado there is no way that Izzy is better then Cuadrado and I doubt he'd overtake him in the next two years, Cuadrado just offers a lot more and I think Muriel either, so in the short term and the long term I don't rate him above the other guys imo.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is a nice problem to have with guys like Izzy, Muriel, Marlos and maybe Ibarguen competing for a left wing/forward spot. And of course there others I have forgotten and new guys we are not even talking about who might emerge.

Also depends on what kind of formation the new manger wants to implement.
    I just know that Marlos can play the left and the right as he did at Nacional and could be effective in both types of situations.

villus repped this.
  18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is Villa of Boca a LM/W or RM/W

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    From what I have seen a RW/RF.
    I like his potential too but am waiting to see what he does at Boca first.

20. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Marlos came off a great 2015-2016 season with one of the best Colombian clubs ever assembled. Rueda was also instrumental in helping him integrate into that team. He obviously has a ton of potential but many many talented young Colombians before him have also failed to get to that next level. I hope he comes to this much higher ceiling you're talking about but he'll be 22 in September and is now on his 4th club in 2 years (not including Man City in that #), with his contract with Flamengo ending in Dec. He's had 9 appearances so far, with 0 goals and unless Flamengo see a big reason why they should take him from Man City, he'll likely be sent elsewhere again on loan. Flamengo will need all the help they can get in competing with their local tournament and CL, so he'll get his chances, but the clock is ticking for him to become this 'stand out' player.

Carrascal isnt even in the same sphere as Cucho or Izzy. You're talking about a player in Carrascal that had a good season in the Ukraine league. I'm not too keen on a player that Sevilla just sold out right for 2mil Euros, yet that they had signed thru 2021? Why would Sevilla let go of such a high prospect? Unless he gets sold to Shaktar or Dynamo and have a chance to play some bigger Euro competition, I'm concerned he may end up stuck in la la land.

I'm not implying Izzy is better than Cuadrado or that he'll be taking his spot in the next WCQ cycle. But I am saying the other players you mentioned in Marlos and Carrascal have way more to prove in order to get a call up to the NT, surely before Izzy.

21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I know it's friendlies but he's so damn fast and smart with his dribble. Love the fact that he looks up to the challenge in getting a starting spot at Boca. Lots of competition for him. How is it that Boca Jrs has managed to pick up some of the best rising talent in Colombia yet River tends to be behind with their scouting? JFQ was a gamble that's paying off but that could've easily gone against them and Borre will need these next 6 months to justify a starting role.

22. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Besiktas, Palmeiras and Stuttgart have all scouted Carrascal. I don't think he's ahead of Izzy for the NT at this point by any means as I don't think Marlos is either, I think Muriel and Cuadrado definitely are in the present and I think over the next 2-4 years there is a good chance that guys like Marlos, Villa and Carrascal will pass Izzy when a guy like Cuadrado might start to fade. My point was that Izzy is in the middle of his peak years and I don't think he's a starter for us and looking ahead I think the young guys who realistically are likely to progress past Izzy. Just look at where Izzy was when he was 20 and 21 and where he is now at 26.

You are giving all the reasons why we should give Izzy a break for his performances yet discrediting what Carrascal has done going to a new league in a completely foreign culture playing in freezing cold for a kid from Cartagena is not some simple task for a 19 y/o. Sure the Ukraine league isn't the EPL but he's gone there and dominated and shown that he has a ton of talent on the ball. The skills to defend and be disciplined like Izzy was doing all last season is easier to add for a player then the feints and dribbling that Carrascal has, that's one of the toughest skills to learn in soccer and is really valuable.

Marlos and Carrascal are just prospects right now but they are exciting prospects, Izzy isn't a prospect any more at 26 I don't think we'll see a ton changing in his game or development and I don't think he's good enough right now to be a starter on a good Colombian team, he won't pass Cuadrado or Muriel in the next 2-3 years and I think likely at that time other younger players will pass him and Cucho could already be there in the next year, I think he's likely to be a squad player for us for the next cycle.

23. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Carrascal is a very good player, unlucky to be in ukraine.

villus repped this.
  24. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    He's got flaws in his game. It was a good place for him to gain confidence and exposure. If he's still there next year and not on a team like Shakhtar, then yeah I'd consider him unlucky. Right now, he's fine.

As for Marlos, a thing I notice with him is that he barely passes the ball. This weekend for example he only attempted 24. He's looking to dribble first most of the time; he was praised by the coach because he actually pulled a lot of them off for a change.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm trying to think back to when Marlos was with Nacional and I want to say he was much more involved in build up than he is these days.

25. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It’s cause he wants to impress but football is a simple game and if he’d just calm down a bit and get back to the basics I don’t see him not getting back into the NT. His football IQ for his age at the time is what got him to Europe and on the NT radar.

Azucarero repped this.