Marlos Moreno - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by MiLo4891, Mar 9, 2016.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. I heard about that in other threads. I think it would have been a slam dunk if Rueda would have stayed. Now, not so much.

If he does go there I hope the next manager is patient with him.

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cruzifero repped this.
  3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    953328199215337472 is not a valid tweet id

4. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Rueda looking out for the homies

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    crzdcolombian repped this.
  6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Please adapt quickly .... and make it to the WC hoping for a super tough competition for backup LW/Lm between Izquerido, Mojica and Marlos

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We continue to be Colombia's favorite Brazilian club :D

Furnaccio, dapip, crzdcolombian and 2 others repped this.
  8. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Debuto Marlos. Jugó unos cuántos minutos y le dio una asistencia excelente a Vinicius, pero no pudo definir bien por muy poco. Pueden verla en el minuto 7:40 más o menos. Esperemos que le den confianza. Si la lesión de Cuadrado es seria Marlos debería ser la primera opción para reemplazarlo, siempre y cuando tenga continuidad en Brasil.

lurkerhp repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Beautiful pass.

10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Didn’t play today in his teams win. Cuellar did. Hope we see both come March

11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Baal88, elviejomen and HomietheClown repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Come on Marlos. Show us what you can do again.

elviejomen repped this.
  13. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So 3rd team and no minutes?

Hate when young guys come back to Colombia but dude needs to start playing.

Prefer Colombia or Argentina. Then eating bench or being a reserve. Hope he doesn’t end up in the MLS or Mexico

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It sucks because we all know he would be playing if Rueda would be there.
    Once Rueda left it basically left Marlos hanging out to dry.

15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Marlos needs to be responsible for Marlos.

pepinointer and crzdcolombian repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No one is debating against that.

The set of circumstances were a bit unfortunate though. Rueda was one of the reasons why he went there and then he went to Chile.

It is like when a kid get's recruited to a College and then the coach bolts to another team or up to the Pros.

I feel a bit bad for the player who thought the situation he was going to was going to be a certain way.

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No player other the Cech is guaranteed a spot in any team.

He knew he was going to a good team and he would have to fight for a spot. Sucks because Cuellar is back to being MIA (another player I thought would be a NT starter by now)

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I read that Cuellar practiced with the starters and should play this evening.

19. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    But it's not like he was performing in Spain before Rueda's intervention. It would be one thing if he was killing it (like Cucho for example) and Rueda promised him a better path to glory and convinced him to leave. Marlos is still young so he has time on his side but he wasn't thrown into Man City's starting line-up. He was loaned out to two teams that were low tier clubs in Liga. He has been given minutes in each club. It just hasn't clicked. We've had plenty of Marlos type of players peak at a young level only to choke. I hope that's not the case for Marlos because we know he's got the talent.

Azucarero and pepinointer repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #345 HomietheClown, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    The point is it is unfortunate because he thought he was going to a familliar situation and system.
    He was doing well for Rueda at Nacional and I assume he would have at least gotten playing time and felt comfortable in Rueda's system at Flamengo.
    But we will never know. (We saw Berrio doing well when he was healthy so my gut says Marlos would have done well too.)

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bringing up Cucho is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison since he is playing at a level below what Marlos has been playing at with less competition and expectations.

22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I think it's a fair comparison as it relates to how 2 players transition from one environment to the other as younger players. Cucho is taking his chances ,whether he's not in Liga 1 is not his fault. One could actually make a case that by going to 2nd division and because he had no expectations as you say, he could've just slacked and gone away. Many do. He's made it a point to EARN a starting spot which is no easy feat for any foreign based player (specially one with no pedigree) at his young age. One can also make the case that when you have a manager like Rueda (and Pekerman), surrounded by that monster team ANacional built to win the CL, he would be more than prepared to take the leap to Europe.

With the exception of let's say 8-10 traditional Liga teams, the bottom half of that table is a constant relegation battle. So while the 2nd div won't be as talented and deep, there is not such a huge gap in what you see in the top 1-5 of the 2nd div table and the bottom half of the 1st division. I mean some teams in La Liga play awful.

Anyhow, regardless of on the off the field comparisons for Marlos to not make the starting 23 of 2 teams in 1st division (consistently) don't speak well for his development and progress. Players like James also wish they had Ancelotti as DT throughout their career. But that's part of the package as well. How do professional players handle transition, cultures, food, etc. At some point he's a professional and he's gotta rise to the occasion other wise he's no different than much of the average players we see in Colombia that only shoot for Liga MX as their high point in their career.

pepinointer repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #348 HomietheClown, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    I think you bring up some fair points but some points that are a bit complex to pinpoint as negatives or compare hence, once again it is apples and oranges. We don't know how Marlos would have done in a second division side with less expectations.
    He was in essence a victim of his own early success doing well for Nacional and even doing decently for Pekerman.

His lack of development and progression may have many factors to it (some you mention may contribute). However every player is different , every set of circumstances are different. IT took a while for someone like Borja to find a place and a role and a good groove for instance.

I think my main focus is clear. With a manager like Rueda he played well and I think he could have played well for him again. It sucks they were not reunited.

24. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    As a society we hold in awe our athletes, especially in sports we like. Apples and oranges, as you mention is all within context. My personal life has no true consequence on my neighbors life but that doesnt mean that we don't have similarities or that we can't share and compare experiences. But at some point, at least in these forums, it makes sense to compare 2 professional young athletes coming from Colombia and draw some conclusion. Maybe the sample size is still just not big enough to make specific calls but I have to tell you that history does tend to be repetitive. In fact, I'll even say that most young 'next stars' don't make it for some reason or another. And that's not particular to Colombia or even futbol.

jay luis and pepinointer repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know what you are arguing about now bringing up repetitive history that is usually associated with societies and governments not individuals in soccer. But hey, you have the right to come to conclusions and draw generalized comparisons. I have the right to disagree and say it is not that good of a comparison. I think it is more complex and nuanced than that.