Marlos Moreno - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by MiLo4891, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    They sell a lot, but I can't think of anybody who proved they were ready in recent years. Borre and Casierra just went through the same year that Moreno did.

I'm with you in everything else. Marlos is 20. No need to start thinking of a move back to South America yet. A year like this will do him good. It's not like he's owned by Deportivo. A loan to a smaller side next season with a year of European training under his belt will do him good.

PS I thought Marlos looked pretty good in the 30 minutes he played this past weekend.

pibe10 repped this.
  2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mexico is only good for a final pay day or if you are over 28 and aren't going to Europe. That Draft system is evil
    And hard to leave on free agency. The league is a richer crappier version of our leagues. Guys get paid better but hard for them to make the Euro jump. Now some idiots going to mention Jackson to me but he left because Of everyone nutting on Colombians because of the Porto guys and the NT. Roda as well. He got sold because of the U20 and he wAs already wanted in Europe when he was in Colombia.

It's not a step our guys need to take. It's like going From DIM to junior to get sold to Europe. Why? Dumb move. If Marlo's comes back it needs to be to a big Argie team or Brazilian.

How much higher can his transfer value get? Going to Mexico regardless of what he does hurts his transfer value and won't help him ajust to Europe. He better off going to a 2nd div English team that adjust to England. Or a recently promoted side in England/Italy/Spain

3. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We need to be patient with Marlos. He left very young for europe and played for a team thats very bad offensively. I think moving to team like man city was a mistake as i dont see him playing for them. They have some great young players in his positions sane, sterling, jesus. Would have been better for him to move to portugal. Will be intersting to see how City manage him, and where he'll be loaned to next, I still have high hopes for him.

4. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Marlos wasn't even ready to play for Nacional, at least his finishing skills and his decision-making showed some deficits nevertheless it's exactly what I pointed out before , European teams know that they aren't blind. When they see a player like Marlon they already know what's to be improved. We can't blame Marlos for not successing in his first year in Europe when this is the rule for our guys coming from a FPC team. Except from our CBs our players mostly need time to adapt to the big leagues.

5. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    very, very few young players blossom their 1st year abroad. Even the latest batch of youngsters, Celis, Cuellar, Seba, Borre, Borja, Casierra, etc., have had a really hard time getting it right. It's really a small list, regardless of NT, that can make it thru this transition. I can't imagine that type of pressure at such a young age. But I do think with the proper summer training and a Euro club that can continue to support his confidence, Marlos will be a player that will give a lot to talk about in the future. If he goes to Mexico however, I think it will do more harm than good for his career. Hope he has the proper people around him giving him some proper advise.

6. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    it should be common sense that he needs time. People forget just how young he really is.

7. ColombiaPAPA!

ColombiaPAPA! Member

Nov 11, 2013
    ANAHEIM, CA
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He needs to go to the serie a

8. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Right these players are still young, they still have a long career ahead of them we can't expect every promising young player to be like James who adapts quickly at such a young age.

9. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Marlos has great potential, he just needs time and the right for him. It reminds me of Rodallega whostucked with a weak team like Wigan, where he was more defend then attack.

Don't forget that Bacca had half year in the bench with Brugges, Izquierdo also had to wait a bit. Marlos needs to stay in Europe and move to a different team or league. For example, I think he can do wonders in Ajax's young team and will adapt much better with Davinson next to him. Just don't move back.

10. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    You see the mistake of people over expecting from very young promising players who get moved into national teams very early, everyone forgets that they are still very young and learning the game. He needs to go somewhere where they will be patient and supportive and give him time to learn and grow step by step, he is 20 and has a long career ahead of him and he doesn't need to be thrown into the fire, Mexico would not be a good move, stay in a smaller team in Spain or go to a similar level in Italy.

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I like Italy, Portugal or even Belgium..

J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah I agree, those leagues are usually good places for young players to not only play and learn but to also get to earn big roles and be central to teams, which is Imo very important for developing great players.

dapip repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Belgium is my favorite... feels natural..

14. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Loved the Ajax suggestion. Young team and Davinson of course

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    His situation can be like Borja's though where he went to Europe and Argentina and really did nothing.
    HE had to come back to Colombia to develop his skills and confidence.

IT is still early and maybe there is a team in Europe that he can excel with but I would not mind him going to a very good Mexican team on loan to develop his confidence.

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Again can't compare the two. Marlos at his age in the Colombian league can't be compared to any other player in. Our history. Maybe Rodallega but Roda was only god like in a youth cup and then top scorer in our league. Marlos and Davison Sanchez dominated our league and South America as teenagers. Borja barely played in the Colombian league and sucked in the u20s

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Borja did not suck at the U20s. He actually had his moments.

Anyway, there is more than one route to success. I hope he finds himself in a situation with a good manager that knows how to use youngsters and he develops if he does stay in Europe.

18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea but you can't compare the two players. What Marlos achieved at his age can only be compared to James but that is not a fair comparison either. Look I don't like the whole give them a pass because they are a youth player. Half these dudes are married and have a kid by 19 or 20 and have lived by themselves most of their lives. Euro teams have guys this age starting and playing for their NT and it's not an excuse for them. Been fighting the whole he is too young thing for a long time on this forum. He simply went to the wrong team and had bad luck while adjusting to Europe. I left for college at 17 in another state it was rough got past it. He has to man up and show ambition or he will be another Ortega

Furnaccio repped this.
  19. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    There are some rumors of him going to Queretaro in Mexico... if that comes true... apague y vamonos!

20. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't think City would let him go to Mexico

21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Those kids are the outliers and not the norm. Throw in moving to a different continent and all involved and its not hard to understand how its difficult for someone so young to adapt and excel. We can't judge every kid based on the ones who were way ahead of development, guys like James are not normal. The kids who are able to perform consistently against men at 19 even are not normal, we shouldn't be holding every player to the standard of the 5% of kids who can pull it off.

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Monaco kid is what 17? Give the youth a shot. Marlos failed because of his team and bad luck. Some of you want him to run back to South America? They sent him to Spain where they speak Spanish...... you are making it sound like he went to Saudi Arabia or some shit. He needs time I agree but it has nothing to do with his age.

23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    LOL you are using Mbappe as an example, he was brought along slowly by the coach this season, is in his home country and is probably a generational talent like Neymar. Of course youth should get a chance and can succeed, but guys like James and Mbappe are built differently then 99% of people and excel for a reason, that's no reason to knock Marlos, succeeding as a professional in a league where a team like Depor are desperate for results isn't an easy place to grow and learn.

24. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #274 Baal88, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Completely unfair comparison. Mbappé is french and plays in one of the best french teams. Marlos played in a team that first, didn't play to the strengths of their wingers (even Kakuta, John and Gil looked like crap) and second, didn't get demoted because there were 3 incredibly awful teams that were even worse than Deportivo competing in the Spanish first division.

If Marlos had been loaned to a league where he could get minutes and allowed him to develop defensively while giving him the chance to exploit his talents it would have been better. City simply botched it sending him to Deportivo. But I still feel that the loan wasn't a complete waste, he looks better physically and if they loan him, even to a team of Spain, he will play much better.

When he had the chance to play with Colak in the middle of the field there were a few moments when I saw the Marlos of Nacional, and I'm sure that the talent is still there, but you can't expect a player to be decisive when the whole team is a mess.

krass repped this.
  25. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    His next loan move will be very important. Although even if he does great, and returns to city the year after he is going to have a lot of trouble braking into that City team.