Marlon Fossey at Standard Liège

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 24, 2015.

1. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely thought his involvement with the U20's last night was interesting as well.

Was doing some research on him after the match and really wasn't surprised to find out he's so young, doesn't turn 18 until September.

There was a ton of action on his side his first two minutes on the field and looked like things were moving too fast for him.

Then he settled down and the skill and ability with the ball were immediately apparent. Very forward thinking player, several moments stood out.

Trevor Fossey repped this.
  2. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will be interesting to see his performance if he gets on the field against the 'more physical' Panama team today - he is still getting used to bringing his talent and skills into the 'more physical' games.

His strengths include his stamina (up and down the field) and his natural speed. He held the UK National record for the 60 and 100 meters at U13 level, and had been identified as a potential 110 meters hurdles Olympian prior to giving up track so as to focus on Soccer. At that age, he was also a gymnast at Regional (County) level. He therefore has athleticism and flexibility in his game as well as a good 'soccer brain' and soccer talent/technique

He was ever present in the Fulham U18 team last season and was in the starting line up of, and completed, every game (apart from one game when he was in Slovakia as part of the USA U19 team which won the Slovakia Cup). He also played 3 games for Fulham U21 (the reserve side). I was able to be at every game that he played last season - and confirm that the ability to cross the ball into dangerous areas is a feature of his game - his crosses featured in quite a few of Fulham U18 goals last season (see earlier post by Boston Red in April 2016 of a video of a Fulham U18 game where Marlon got a couple of assists). He also enjoys running at the opposition with the ball and trying to beat them - there were a couple of examples of this in the game vs Costa Rica

Marlon really enjoys his soccer and, similar to most good players, likes to 'feel valued' by his coach. He does have dual nationality and could play for England - but his current experience with the US U19 and U20 squads in the past couple of months have made him 'feel valued' and therefore currently his leaning is towards the USA. Even his DoB is dual nationality, being 9th September in UK, and September 9th in US (ie. 9/9/98 in both!)

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You're a natural agent, @Trevor Fossey.

;)

Gacm32 and Trevor Fossey repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

I can't put my finger on it..but I have a gut feeling you are related to him. Just a hunch. :)

Great to have in the mix with the USA!!

Trevor Fossey and Alexisonfire repped this.
  5. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Very astute - although I suspect that the 'same surname' may be a giveaway!?

A very proud uncle, and therefore 'in the know' - he is a very level headed & intelligent lad who loves, and is focussed entirely on soccer. Although I may be little 'biased' (?), I believe that he will be a very big name for the future - very well thought of at Fulham and certainly one to watch!

Gacm32, chrome_vapors, wixson7 and 3 others repped this.
  6. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Thanks for the insight. He really stuck out in the match with Panama in a positive way. He made some critical tackles and had good movement. I would say we could already define this tournament as a success for him.

Trevor Fossey repped this.
  7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marlon was called up by US U-19's for the 33rd COTIF Tournament in Valencia, Spain from July 20-August 5.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...es-22-player-roster-for-2016-cotif-tournament

Winoman repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    After seriously considering this guy's hair, I have decided to seriously consider his future.

ChuckMe92 and Trevor Fossey repped this.
  10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the US U-19 starting lineup vs. Venezuela at the COTIF Tournament.

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Pretty weak US lineup. Lots of fringe players, only Fossey and McKennie would be potential starters in a full-strength side.

Trevor Fossey and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    We don't see enough of that kind of stuff from our defenders near our own goal. Bravo. ;)

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the U23s:

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marlon reportedly had the game-winning assist today.

17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Quotes from fans at the Blackburn u23 game:

"fossey in my opinion did well actually was supposed to mention him. again the lad is quick and has good feet made a couple of stray passes at times but gets up and down the wing well reluctant at times to put in a cross but i thought he did very well defensively"

"Marlon Fossey (#3) was incredible in the second half but rather absent in the first. "

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #68 Trevor Fossey, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Action from Fulham u23 defeat of Blackburn u23 in the u23 Premier League Div 2. Fulham u23 won by 1-0, the goal volleyed in following a cross from the right wing Marlon, playing at right back

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/august/16/u23s-fulham-1-0-blackburn
    Marlon had a solid game and had many opportunities to show off his skills.

Fulham u23 game next week is away to West Bromwich u23 - at a ground which is means it is only 10 miles to travel (instead of a 300 mile round trip that I had yesterday, and when I go down to London for a game!)

19. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the insight as usual, Trevor. Was that Luca De La Torre who hit the crossbar at 0:55 in the highlights? Sorry, don't know what number he is wearing for the U-23's.

20. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, Luca also played the full 90 minutes in the u23 game as #7. Luca and Marlon combined very well - their understanding playing together in the U23 Premier League will be beneficial for their performance for the US u20 team, if both are selected.
    Here is the full team sheet
    http://www.fulhamfc.com/under-23s/2016_2017/league/home/blackburn-rovers-u23s#lineup

USvsIRELAND, dougtee and bshredder repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another start in PL2:

22. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #72 Trevor Fossey, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Fulham U23 were defeated 2-1 by Wes Brom u23 - Fulham had most possession and were a tad unlucky to lose. Had a penalty given against them, but were refused a penalty themselves (IMO a clear penalty!) and also hit the crossbar with a free kick. Had other chances to get the ball into the net.
    Marlon played the full 90 minutes and had a strong defensive game, not too many opportunities to attack. A few strong (& acrobatic!) defensive headers from long balls played down the wing.
    Danny Barbir was on the West Brom u23 bench and made an appearance as a substitute for the final 10 mins or so.
    Match report = http://www.fulhamfc.com/under-23s/2016_2017/league/away/west-bromwich-albion-u23s

Next game for Fulham U23 is vs Brighton u23 on Friday evening 26th Aug, at the Amex Stadium http://www.stadiumguide.com/falmer/

uniteo, ChuckMe92, PalmettoSpur and 6 others repped this.
  23. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tactical Hipster and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts in PL2:
    [​IMG]

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+