Marketing Miami FC

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Mar 28, 2009.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else see the almost total coverage of the fieldside ads Miami FC has at the U.S.-El Salvador WC qualifier right now?! I counted 8 MFC signs, a few Traffic ones, and 2 USL ads. Needless to say I'm quite impressed.

Some simply say "MiamiFC.com" and others "El equipo de las Americas". I've seen these before in few stray games on TV, but only one at the most. They really went all out tonight.

This is a great start and an example of what they need to do to get fans on board with the team. Now it seems likely that the team will be playing in at least 1 professional looking facility, hopefully 2. If they translate what they've done at this WC qualifier in to local advertising and promotion, they can make this thing work.

Also, dang, El Salvador just scored:mad:.

2. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Ive seen 5... Its great to actually see a USL team being advertised in the WCQ.. hopefuly you guys in Miami will get a few more fans! either wy you wll lose the Ponce de Leon cup this year jejeje

3. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I turned in the game, and was like........... is that the Miami FC logo immediately. I dont think this is perfect advertising though. A sign in the South American qualifers might have fit better, although this was probably MUCH cheaper. They have good intentions though, and hopefully in the next few days, we see an agressive campaign here in Miami

4. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exposure at any level is great, and the more the better. I think targeting a U.S. game is smart because they not only capture the Latin fans of whatever team we're playing, but us U.S. fans as well. Reaching a broader audience is important, as illustrated by the move to Lockhart. This has to be the beginning though. Smart advertising and promotion locally will be key, but I think most important will be putting together a strong team, preferably sometime before a week before the season begins.

Also, I think a smart move would be coming up with a distinct kit design, something iconic to help cement the brand in the minds of South Florida sports fans.

In any case, it looks like Traffic is starting to get their act together in running this team. Hopefully it continues, and then all that will be left is for we the fans to really do our part and help make this team a permanent part of South Florida.

5. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Yeah, Im not complaining. Any kind of advertising is great. Hopefully they follow through and work with Broward County Public Schools. Maybe they can give tickets away in schools for Opening Day. They also need to reach the Soccer Moms. Advertise more at Youth Soccer games.

I just said the South American thing because I THINK that there's more people in SoFla who watched South American qualifiers today than the U.S. game. What a game the U.S. played too, really exciting.

Hopefully we see some increased traffic in the website. Would've been smart to put opening day individual tickets on sale today, but w/e.
    My theory on the all or nothing this season is definetely wrong

I have never gone to a Miami FC game, but Im pumped up about the new season

6. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Traffic runs these matches and alot themselves signage for the games. Matches that are viewed in North America are typically used to promote their N.A. affiliated operations, such as Miami FC. An example would be some of the matches from last year's qualifiers in the Carb. that had the entire pitch used for the promotion of the USL. This isn't something new and they've promoted the FC and the USL for the past few years in similar fashion.

7. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were a Miami FC fan, that would really irk me. They're too busy advertising to the rest of the Americas, but not giving one lick of attention to South Florida? Where their TEAM is??

8. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

But a lot of people from here watched the game, so what better way to market the team?

9. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    I'd be happy that they're giving the team attention at all considering it was being administered it's last rites a fortnight ago.

10. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just find it odd that viewers all over the entire continent was seeing ads for one team in Miami, Florida. I hope it pays off for your club though and the USL!

11. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the kind of influence Traffic has in Latin America. They can buy almost every ad board for a WC qualifier to promote one thing. Now, if they could use some of that marketing muscle to heavily promote MFC locally, maybe get a few games on local TV, we'd be in business.

The advertising blitz at the US-El Salvador game was a great start. Hopefully they have a lot more tricks up their sleeves...

13. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    ... but it's nothing new. They've promoted the FC and the USL numerous times before in the same fashion... why would this go around be more prudent then previous attempts ?

14. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to this extent though. I've seen maybe one stray MFC or USL board in the past at previous games, and it was always on some Spanish channel or a FSC game. This was near total coverage, on a nationally televised major cable network game, reaching a lot more people than before. And it just happened to come less than two weeks after announcing a renewed commitment to Miami FC and the South Florida market. That's putting your money where your mouth is if you ask me.

Still, they must do more. This one game was impressive but the lackluster job they've done over the last 3 seasons needs to be severely improved upon. For example, I've been a fairly casual soccer fan since around 2002/03-ish, not too serious but quite interested in the game, watching MLS and FMF games on occasion, US MNT and whatever Euro/EPL games pop up on FSN or ESPN. I didn't know Miami FC, or even USL, existed until the fall of 2007, when rumors of a Miami MLS bid first started popping up. I was unaware of the team being launched, and missed the first two seasons entirely. Had I seen one billboard or web ad or anything I would have been at the games. They need to work on reaching the general sports fan, possibly this means concentrating more on the English-speaking market. The great work at the US/El Salvador match was good, but if you aren't a El Salvador or US fan in South Florida you probably weren't watching and didn't see it.

The way I see it they need to advertise at most, if not all, of the youth leagues and soccer parks in Dade and Broward counties. That's likely cheaper than the newspapers, radio or TV and will probably reach more people likely to head out to the games. Hitting up local soccer-friendly bars/pubs wouldn't hurt either. They can't count on the newspapers for free publicity either. While both papers are covering the team much more now, any MFC news is still buried deep in the sports section in the usually tiny soccer section.

They are on the right track, they just need to amp things up a bit.

15. Jonathan Cid

Jonathan Cid New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    While I'm happy to see some marketing going on... I'm not quite sure it makes sense. Why do people in El Salvador care about following a team in Miami that isn't even being followed by Miamians because they don't even know about it?

16. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't, but the people they were targeting was the TV audience here in the US and more specifically Miami/South Florida.

17. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly, they were targeting the South Florida audience. It was also good seeing a www.uslsoccer.com sign also.

18. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    While the mass money for sign boards during the WCQ game is nice (not that we see it being engrossed in the game, right ?), it pales in comparison to the traditional channels that Miami FC has ignored.

For two years requests for media guides and even pocket schedules were ignored.

So it is no surprise that today Miami FC is igored by the media and the fans that made these simple requests in the past.

Other than some local rumbling, and posts here on BS, I have seen no national headlines (except for the Barcelona connection) in reference to Miami soccer.

Being in the South East, news of Seattle, Portland, Vancouver and Montreal all made their way here. but Miami ... still "nada".

There is much bread to be buttered before we will taste soccer in Miami.

19. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with you that they need to do a lot better with marketing, pocket schedules and media guides were pretty easy to come by last year. This year everything behind.

20. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody see the adboard of MiamiFC.com in the Honduras v. Mexico Maatch last night?? What a game too.. Honduras is Mexico's dad!! jajjaja

21. Viva Miami

Viva Miami Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the Blues would get a more professional looking logo. The current one looks like something a youth soccer team would wear. I think it contributes to the minor league feel of the team.

22. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't disagree with you, MFC's logo is far from the worst in USL. Austin, Tampa, Rochester(flat out clip art), and FCNY all are worse than what we have. I do think it could be improved though. At first I didn't like the original logo they had with the palm tree/sun, but now I like it as opposed to the current version.

Whether it's a palm tree, some waves, a flamingo, whatever, it does need something that visually represents Miami/South Florida. I think if things go better in terms of support this year a rebrand could be in the cards for next season.

23. Viva Miami

Viva Miami Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they going to get the online store up and running any time soon?

24. fire98

fire98 New Member

Mar 26, 1999
    at least is better than the Chicago Fire logo.

The USl MIami Fc need to start more advertising, have yet to see anything on TV or anywhere else.

25. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding? The Fire crest is one of the best in MLS if you ask me. Great team name with meaning, and a crest that resembles a fire department shield. It's perfect.