Mark McCullers: Will he be employed this entire season?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Flyer Fan, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Let's have a little chat about Mark McCullers, shall we? When Anthony Precourt hired Gregg Berhalter and gave him the sporting director title, McCullers graciously "stepped aside" from GM duties to assume the role of President, focusing exclusively on the business side of the organization. Prior to Berhalter's arrival McCullers, as business buzzword lovers are wont to say, wore many hats: he was responsible for both on- and off-field efforts.

From a business perspective, McCullers and the Crew can claim a number of successes. In fact, they do just that on his about page on the team's web site. One can read about the accomplishments there if so inclined and, to be fair, those accomplishments should not be ignored.

However, for years the Crew organization - McCullers specifically - has been publicly touting three key areas necessary for the organization to be successful: jersey/presenting sponsor, stadium naming rights, and a season ticket base of at least 10,000 by 2012. To date, the organization has failed to achieve two of the three goals. The team is currently on its second uniform sponsor, and Barbasol appears to be the perfect marriage of a company with local ties looking to become more known. Stadium naming rights have been discussed for years as a key component to the organization's success but, despite companies "kicking the tires," it is still a goal unfulfilled. Finally, Goal 10K was announced in September 2011 - co-opting the supporters' term "massive" - yet even last year McCullers confirmed to Adam Jardy the team hoped to surpass 7,000 season tickets in 2013; 70% to the goal past the goal's stated achievement date.

While batting .333 might get you into Cooperstown, is it enough for the team's business leader to keep his job? He has thus far failed to deliver on two of the three publicly-stated major foundations for the organization's success, and that doesn't even bring into consideration the team's unfulfilled goal of a new training facility and something recently about a new TV deal. It is fair to say there are circumstances which the team can use as a hat hanger - namely, the "economic downturn" - but as the team's business leader it is also fair, in my opinion, to question McCullers's continued employment.

2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Goal 10K was more open-ended.

3. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    When it was first announced they said they had planned on getting there by 2012, but as time has passed they've just basically said "we're working towards it".

4. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To add:

Dave Greeley, former Chicago Fire President, is one of Precourt's closest advisors and on the PSV payroll. The Crew restructured their organization in a way that Greeley restructured Chicago. It was Greeley who accompanied Precourt to KC for the all-star game and owners meetings last season after he purchased the club.

I've discussed this a few times on the board, but I think McCullers was kept on for continuity and to connect the new administration in with the local ties, but I predict he'll be gone and probably replaced with Greeley no later than first kick 2015.

5. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to publicly thank Mark for his contributions to the club and wish him well in his future endeavors.

Mark, we'll always have 2008, but the Warzycha extension, the season ticket holder scores fiasco and the new TV contract which blacks out half the fan base are strikes 1, 2 and 3.

Draghignazzo, THOMA GOL and Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the same thing from the start of the Precourt era. But I was not aware of this. So it makes even more sense.

7. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any evidence that McCullers is not doing exactly what Precourt wants done? If there is none, why would he be fired?

8. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Crew name outside of Columbus is almost non existent. I lived in Nelsonville most of my life and spent a lot of time in both Athens, Logan, and Lancaster and there is almost no mention of The Crew in these areas. I'm sure this is also true the further north of 270 as well. Also you would have figured we would have had sold the stadium naming rights by now after 15 years.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you guys are in trouble, then.

10. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    To be fair, I doubt most big teams try to increase exposure to those areas since nobody lives there.

It's more of a problem that people in Columbus, Cincy, and Cleveland still barely know who The Crew is.

11. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    foozer repped this.
  12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had that thought.

I have a hard time believing that McCullers is such a complete blithering idiot that he would make a deal like this and not give Precourt any indication of what was coming.

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It's hard to imagine MM didn't keep AP in the loop on the negotiations and that they were going with TWC which would draw some flack. They were probably surprised by how much though.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  14. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if MM is reporting 90% or 70% coverage by Time Warner, it could also be seen that this is not such a big deal.

15. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why in the name of Schelotto and all that is good and holy is this not called the "Fire McCullers Thread"? There is tradition to uphold here, people.

Draghignazzo, naas, chr1st and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'm kinder and gentler...

17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sack McCullers clap clap clap

18. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get your pink slips ready, girl.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  19. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many people in the 2006 Northend last game with McCullers photo (featured in A Massive Season) now want McCullers to be sacked?

20. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Raises hand)

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "If the club pres is an ass clap your hands

If he lies to the fans clap your hands

If you want him fired and you know it

There's one way to surely show it

If you want McCullers fired clap you hands. "

First two lines could use improving.

Maybe the Nordecke should all wear blindfolds to the game.

22. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Would be easier and less props for everyone to just cover their eyes for a portion and be silent.

Maybe a banner with a weeping angel with a Crew shirt on. Somebody had a Cyberman last year, so I know someone's got it in them.

Attached Files:

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and it apparently got worse from there.

He actually did none of those things.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  24. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+