Pre-match: March Friendlies - Ecuador & Chile

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Feb 3, 2019.

1. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm willing to give this lineup a chance but lets be honest, when we're swapping out Yedlin so we can accommodate Trapp that's just not a positive swap. When the players don't fit your scheme change your scheme. I feel like we should've already learned this stuff with Klinsman.

jnielsen, btlove and Cannons repped this.
  2. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excited for Ream. Everyone has a player they irrationally support and he is mine. I like his play style but definitely recognize his ceiling. Still, when Ream is playing well I think he's one of the best passing CBs we have.

Winoman and schrutebuck repped this.
  3. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lima wasn't a surprise to me. I guess I'm too traditional for Gregg's system. Adams is a waste there too in my opinion, but if that's how GB wants to play I understand.

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The only clear success for Ream on the national team is when he played on the left of a 3-man backline (such as Azteca 2017). So this does put him in a position to succeed.

Excellency and neems repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    DHC1 repped this.
  6. Daveeed

Daveeed Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Salvador
    I hope we get destroyed...

7. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Pulisic, Gyasi, and Jordan to combine well on that left side. I hope Ream gets defensive help from Weston.

USA!

8. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    QUOTE yurch10 said:
    Serious question -

Does anyone know of other national teams who take their best/most talented player, and move his position?

I realize many either a. don't like this, or b. are waiting to see how it goes. But I'm legitimately wondering if this happens with other teams?QUOTE
    Ecuador plays Antonio Valencia as a midfielder. He always played RB for Manchester United.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I wasn't expecting Berhalter to change his tactical approach for the second match in any event. But with how limp Ecuador played tonight, there's no reason to change the setup for the Chile match.

I'd say 2-5 changes:

Roldan for the injured McKennie
    Miazga for Long
    Horvath for Johnson
    Yedlin for Morris
    Bradley for Trapp (but only if Trapp's injury is more than a knock. Otherwise, start Trapp again)

Long and Johnson didn't do much wrong, but it's definitely worth testing Miazga and Horvath out after flying all the way over. For Morris's spot, it will have to be either Yedlin or Baird. Ideally, Trapp can stay in the starting XI to establish some continuity with the other ongoing changes.

And a start for Roldan will be a huge step up in his international career, with only a few previous starts against minor opposition.

CA23 repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    USA 1-0 Ecu
    Poss 62:37
    Shts: 5:1
    SoG: 2:0

3G did what he had said he wanted to do. And Ecuador's starting XI and 2 subs had excellent representation from the team's last WCQer.

Chile are ranked 7 spots higher on the elo but have really fallen off in the past 18 months. Too bad 3G wasn't hired in early '18. Many matches against quality opponents were missed.

11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    so, with the projected absences, what will GGG do?

--------------------Gyasi
    Arriola----------------------------Morris
    -----------Roldan--------Lletget
    -------------------Bradley
    --Ream----Brooks------Long-----Lima

What other options are there?

If GGG is going to stick with the wandering RB system, I'd like to see Yedlin there. He's fast and fit. Maybe he can break up some plays, connect some simple passes. I think he'd make a really bad wingforward, but if part of that job is to cover for the RB, well, that's a consideration.

It will be interesting to see Roldan and Lletget in those roles. I don't think they'll be a huge drop from Puli and Wes.

But, Chile ain't Ecuador, and Lima isn't Adams.

Bradley is going to have a hard time looking good in this system against Chile. I think Trapp would struggle, too.

12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing the NCAA tournament is going. If that was my only sports option to watch I'd go walk the dog. One interesting thing to watch with that horrid lineup would be how that backline deal with Bradley's ineptness and if the backup goalie can make stops. Because the shots will come fast and furious.

yurch10 repped this.
  13. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will be killed with this line-up, but not too many other choices what with injuries and Adams being called back to his club. I do agree that Yedlin needs to be in the game. Bradley would probably have started whether WT got a knock or not. Maybe take Gyasi out, replace him with Morris and replace Morris with Pulisic. Yedlin and Pulisic should play well together. Not too much else available what with the call-ups available.

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I think Pulisic is out. Otherwise, yes.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Eventually, we may end up having Top NT problems: players that make so much money in Europe, they demand to play only 60 minutes with the NT and only give their 50% to avoid injury.

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always wonder about the longevity of international soccer. So much at risk these days.

17. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club related? or injury scare?

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    With Puli, Wes and Adams out, I'd go

---arriola------zardes-----morris
    -----------lletget--------roldan
    ------------trapp---------lima
    -------miazga---brooks----long
    --------------------gk:Horvath

b.t.w., there's not many mids left which is why I suggested originally during Jan Camp that Berhalter should keep Delgado and Canouse in play. I thought they might be needed for defense in mid at some point. Besides Bradley, there aren't any defensive 8 type mids left to sub in and this is Chile we are up against.

19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Why is Pulisic out? I see nothing.

Also Adams going back to RBL is a bit of bullshit. FIFA date. I'd like an honest quote from someone here. Not, "The 20-year-old will return to Germany to continue training with Bundesliga side RB Leipzig." Why the hell does he go back to club but no one else?

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    shrug. I'm ok with a little schmoozing with Euro clubs. I never liked Klinsmann's austere attitude (No thanks, I want our doctor's MRI of that "injury"). Let's allow Euro clubs the players when it counts for them and we'll insist on the players we want when it counts for us.

Footsatt, Winoman and Pragidealist repped this.
  21. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile are cracking, they are easily exposed.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're where we were a couple of years ago: lots of old guys, the 24-27 batch not up to par, and kids getting their chance.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not your uncle's Chile. If Mexico stomped them...…..guess we've gotta do the same?

24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    14 players represented Chile in all three of its recent glorious tournaments, the 2015 and 2016 Copa Americas and the 2017 Confederations Cup, which is an incredible stat.

By the middle of April, only 1 of these 14 players will be younger than 30 years old.

Winoman and Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that lack of turnover showed in the end of World Cup qualifying and the downfall is continuing into 2019. Aging is a helluva thing.