Pre-match: March Friendlies - Ecuador & Chile

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Feb 3, 2019.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1176 onefineesq, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Pulisic was interviewed on CounterAttack, and maybe I am parsing his words a bit (I probably am) but he seemed to hint (again my take on the WAY he answered) that he prefers being out wide. He actually said that he doesn't care where he plays, as long as it is in an attacking position, but he mentioned out wide first when asked about his preference in where to play.

Namdynamo, smokarz, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't possibly stand to re-read the last 20 pages of this thread to provide you with direct quotes. But, since I know you've read it all, then it's just a simple dishonest question you are asking.

No, it's not confrontational. After reading a livid stream of certainty from several people along the lines of "f*uck Berhalter, he's an idiot, no one will release these guys for U-23s and they should be with the full MNT anyway" posts for days, I'm not feeling especially generous with my language. The tone of my response is a direct response to that crap.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I couldnt find it but pretty sure he has always answered diplomatically, however one time i recall him saying he preferred centrally. I remember him saying something about enjoying scoring goals.

largegarlic repped this.
  4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the Adams/McKennie interview, Adams was VERY diplomatic about the move. When asked, he gave an answer about how he was just happy to be on the field, somewhere. And that if it allowed him to get on the field, he would grab the keeper's gloves. At that exact moment, McKennie chimed in with something to the effect of "that's not what you said after practice" or something like that (it was hard to hear because everyone else burst into laughter as Weston was finishing the sentence). Weston could then be heard saying "I'm kidding." Adams continued on later in the interview with the same diplomacy about how moving to the back "was interesting" and he would always do the best he could in any role given him. Mind you, he also said that he liked playing a bit of winger when he was with the NYRBs because it allowed him to defend less (which is relevant as he is being moved further back in this current role).

Weston was asked about his swiss army knife role with his club team, and whether he likes that. He basically related that he would much rather prefer to be stuck at one position. He said that when you are thought of as good at a lot of different things, people usually take that to mean that you aren't great at any one thing and aren't seen as indispensable. He basically said that he wants to be seen as a box to box player.

There is more that I could write, but I have to run out for a bit.

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    They actually play Egypt on Friday and the Netherlands on Sunday, so two decent games. I dont understand why they arent focusing on qualifying than saving face by bring these guys who belong on the full side and wont be released for qualifying. It is like they are a step behind with every decision.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hadn't heard that, so they just announce the roster and they're playing in 3 days? Holy hell.

Winoman and bsky22 repped this.
  8. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially because I’m not sure this team is good enough to qualify. Other countries are bringing their best young players... i.e. their Adams, McKennies, etc. We are still feeling the effects of that dead generation so this is partly a B team, with the best A players on the full team. It just doesn’t make sense.

Pragidealist repped this.
  9. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that the players called up had already been notified and at least some had already traveled. We the public weren't informed until this afternoon.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Just named the coach today as well and a usual suspect was defending not having the roster out this morning in the YNT thread.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antonee I’m a little more ok with. He should be with the first team but he’s coming back from injury and the LB seems to be more of a LB/CB role which he doesn’t fit him. CCV and EPB play CB with a lot of depth but Omar and Ream shouldn’t be in the 23. So there’s that.

12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    People cant complain about a certain coach not releasing a roster until very late and then defend it in another situation. No, yes they can. It is the MO of MLS fans. They are used to if they dont like something they just change the rules.

Gotta say I am a fan of the way the USMNT rosters are being handled. I may not like a lot of the crap on the rosters, but at least they are putting them out earlier. Atta boy, Mr Berhalter.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    There is a role that fits Lovitz, but doesnt fit AR?

I have said since the Jnauary games, I'd call in 5 CBs and 3 OBs. Adams is my #6, period. My CBs are Brooks, Miazga, Long, CCV, and EPB. My outside backs are FJ, DY, and AR. I think FJ would get the role and is there as a stop gap until one of the other understands it. DY would play from the right, AR would play it from the left and FJ could be deployed on either side. If we stick with this gimmicky system for the cycle, I'd bet on the RB hybrid role would go to Dest or Mckennie (because of better attacking players coming up).

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    After all the hype, if we don't make it to Japan, we're going to be the laughing stock of the confederation.

15. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Hype?

onefineesq repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We've been hyping up our young guys in Europe to high heaven all over the Internet.

Don't hate us. It's all we had during all those horrible months after Couva.

17. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    If you say so - I haven’t seen much hype for the U23. U23 is an odd year group because if they really are good - hopefully their breaking out with their club and national team

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AR is undoubtably the better player. I agree that I’d want the team to be able to switch the hybrid role from the Right side to the Left. I suspect 3G doesn’t have that plan in mind. As a LB/CB AR isn’t being used well. If 3G isn’t going to add that wrinkle in just yet I can understand sending him to u23 (plus returning from injury). Having said all of that I generally agree AR should be in the senior 23.

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the U-23 roster, not the full MNT roster, which was released to the public today.

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    lol. What you actually said was that Roldan is better than WM - that’s not saying he’s GOAT unless you think that Roldan is at that level.

Tears are actually in my eyes!

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    We knew weeks ago that those players would be there. I don't recall anyone arguing they have been completely forgotten. Many wanted them in Orlando, but that is different.

Not sure how much you can give the Fed credit. Seems like an ad hoc plan that was recently hatched and poorly executed. For heaven's sake, they only hired a coach after the first practice. Hard to say anything was well executed when you fail to actually hire the coach and have him there when the players arrive at the practice field!

The point of this camp was probably to teach the players you listed the GB system so they could come to Gold Cup camp and compete on an even footing. But the fact Kreis was only just hired and as a part-timer, it doesn't sound like that will happen this camp. So, these players could have been in Orlando learning at least, now they will be thrown on a field with a guy that is only now probably on an airplane.

Kries was not Plan A, that fell through. He was a desperation fill and now is on the job for two years. The more I type, the more brilliant the execution gets!

22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall anyone saying they'd been completely forgotten, either, and I never said nor insinuated that. There were, however, several people who assured the rest of us fools that those players wouldn't be at the U-23 camp, either, because their clubs wouldn't release them. And they constantly reminded us that Berhalter is an idiot because he clearly thinks Jonathan Lewis is better than Timothy Weah (completely disregarding the entirely likely possibility that Berhalter wants to integrate the cream of the crop with guys who are familiar with the system he's trying to implement, and later integrate the next best batch).

I personally don't know the details of Kreis' hiring. It was definitely very last-minute, though there were inklings of it last week, so I imagine it was down to contract negotiations (which Kreis likely won on, given how long it took). Who was the first-choice U-23 coach?

wsmaugham repped this.
  23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Oh, that is a different thing and something I've argued. Getting released for a camp in Europe during a FIFA break is an easy get. Do you really think Werder Bremen is going to release Josh Sargent for qualifying, possibly in some Central American country, next October? Sargent could be their starting striker by then or even the main backup and first option off the bench, and they will release him for a youth tournament qualifying tournament?

Of course not. CCV, AnRob, Weah, if they are important pieces on their teams or loan teams, which they are now and should be then, will similarly not be released.

If these players progress like we hope, none of them will be released for a July-August Olympic tournament and miss the entire preseason with their teams.

Doesn't that make sense?

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, some of those guys will definitely not be released for youth teams in the future. That's how youth teams work for every country. The best players in the age group are rarely made available.

25. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I thought I remember an interview with maybe ESPN.com where he said he's had success playing centrally with the USMNT and likes playing there.

bsky22 repped this.