Pre-match: March Friendlies - Ecuador & Chile

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm guessing you're too young.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1152 onefineesq, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Both Robinsons are with the u-23 team right now, just in case you seriously didn't know.

Also, I do think it excessive to say that someone who believes that Adams hasn't gotten to Jermaine Jones's level yet is a hater of any sort. Everyone knows that I am a HUGE fan of Adams … but damn, Jermaine Jones was an incredible player. He did it for years at club, and for the US national team. Adams is yet to get to his prime, so let's see where he shakes out in the end. Fans tend to anoint players far too early in their development.

Namdynamo, gunnerfan7, wsmaugham and 4 others repped this.
  3. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Mrs. Robinson...

Winoman repped this.
  4. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    It was just a joke. Its from the move the Graduate.

Winoman and btlove repped this.
  5. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Got it just wanted to know, knowledge is power and all that.

Pragidealist repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yep, but at this point there are two factors to keep in mind:

a) The U-23. We have to make up for lost time quick if we want to go to the Olympic Games;

b) Most of our youngsters in Europe are not playing much, if at all --for the main NT, it's almost de rigueur to give preference to players actually playing.

7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    A third factor- GB's priority and one of his biggest questions marks is - can he implement a consistent, complicated tactical system in the limited time he has with the players as a national coach.

So a degree of consistency was likely necessary from the Jan camp to help test and prove that he can. Once he has the bones of his system and a core group familiar with it- he can start adding more players into it.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg Berhalter is on Counterattack today. People who have access to SiriusXM FC may want to tune in.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jones was a bit of a problem child. Now, we can go on to discuss that in depth or just drop it, I choose the latter. The guy is currently a retired athlete with a big family. Nuff said. Adams is fundamentally better.

jnielsen and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  10. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Any other way to listen?

11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1160 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Your Adams hate as posted in the Tyler Adams thread or the hate you posted in every thread during the Sarachan tenure?

Now since your hatred of Adams (and Acosta, Nagbe, McKennie, Jones, Wood, Chandler, ...) goes on and on in that thread and many other threads I suspect only a trained psychiatrist could help you understand your issues.

Suffice to say that question is way out of my area of expertise.

12. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    See how we were talking about soccer then you bring Jones’ character into it. This is why I say you take shots at people while we are just trying to talk football. Then you insult Jones personality then fake the high road “I choose to drop it”

13. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    From Avi Creditor on SI -

"The two Germany-based talents and friends figure to line up with Bradley behind them. In a defined, holding midfield role, Bradley impressed during January camp, and while an array of the U.S.-watching public will remain vocal about his time on the international stage being up, the 31-year-old is showing those wishes are premature. Berhalter backs the Toronto FC star, and it looks like that role, for the time being, is his to lose."

I can't even comment on this. He's going to be around until he breaks the USMNT caps record.

Namdynamo, bsky22 and btlove repped this.
  14. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I wish too. Guess my point is it would hit some headline somewhere (espn) because they'd want low hanging fruit to compare to kneeling NFLers or something ridiculous, n millions would see it.

Or if it's hundreds of thousands, same deal. 30 people cheering, many times that hating.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No big deal, honestly. He said nothing of note. Really a fluff-type interview. Welp, onwards and upwards to the game.

Pragidealist and Winoman repped this.
  16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'm not sure Trapp isn't ahead of him. We will see. But Trapp started the harder January game with the more veteran squad.

DHC1 repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    RedBulls put everything into Adams even losing the CCL game against Chivas because of it. Everything I said about Adams as an 18 yr old was correct. He was tried everywhere and I objected to pushing him ahead of his development curve. I even put the disclaimer 'he isn't a bad player but" in the post you reference. LIke I said it was business. They had in mind to develop him as an asset and that was fine for them and turned out well. He wasn't helping our youth teams - he played with u20's at age 18 before he was ready. He kept getting moved around all over the place.

b.t.w., now that he is bedding in at cmid/dmid, at age 20, I find myself having to argue against the people still moving him around - this time to rb.

18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Can you give an example? I thought played well in every role at NYRB.

This just seems like the same weird things you said about Zardes and Acosta. I'm not a fan of either but dont think it has anything to do with this.

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mbar and Excellency repped this.
  20. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    suck it indeed. Sargent, Weah and Robinson should be on the big club. U23 team has no games, no plan and will play substandard opponents comparatively.

Namdynamo, Statman, smokarz and 4 others repped this.
  21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really good interview on CounterAttack, with both McKennie and Adams in the studio together. I encourage people who have Sirius to pull up the segment online and listen to it. It ran from around 6:15pm (eastern) or so until about 6:25.

22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way you started this sentence certainly shows your level of maturity. I would suggest that you would be better served by quoting anyone who made any such claim with your clearly juvenile post.

IIRC you once admonished a poster to be less confrontational, perhaps you should heed your own good advice?

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Zardes yes. Not Acosta, generally. Zardes always wanted to be a 9. Acosta moved around - dmid, fullback, cmid, cam. He always seemed to try, he just wasn't very good.

An example for Adams, you ask ? We could start with outside right mid v. Portugal

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m glad their clubs released them and that they were competent enough to secure that. That still doesn’t change the fact that Sarge and Weah are currently better then players called into the senior team. I give zero shits about the u23. If their good enough I want them with the senior team.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sargent is misplaced at u23's for now. It's not technique and more training at a lower level he needs. He needs to try his stuff at the next step up. He's not getting it at club because of the particular situation at that club - it just isn't the right time at club. So, we could step in and give him minutes v. Ecuador and Chile which would help him gain perspective of his abilities. I don't have any problem with the rest of the squad. We shouldn't be content with judging Sargent based on his Sarachan appearances.

Patrick167 repped this.
  26. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Antonee wasnt called up for the same reason Sargent, Weah, CCV, EPB, etc werent called up... Euro players have be stars or come have come through MLS. All these guys with the u23s, when they are unlikely to be released for qualifying. Brilliant!!!

btw, It is ok to have two players with the same last name.

laxcoach repped this.