Pre-match: March Friendlies - Ecuador & Chile

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Feb 3, 2019.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    We're good [even though i completely disagree with your opinon!].

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Stay on topics fellas. A million other places for league comparisons.

jnielsen, Winoman and Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, give credit to San Jose. Almeyda just managed to get the old beater to grind into second gear.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Except for John Stone on ESPN, there has been no talk, that I've heard or read, about this camp being 100% non-MLS. Nobody has refuted it and nobody has confirmed it. Really, except for here, nobody has even discussed it.

Maybe the main idea of having everyone in Chicago is that it is easier to stay tight lipped.

5. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    I am hoping for approx 95% non-MLS. To me they do not need to be included until Gold Cup.
    There are exceptions but who knows if their MLS clubs will release them? I would like to see in the March camp
    Steffen - to compare v Horvath at this time
    Long - to compete with Miazga for the potential pairing with Brooks

Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an international date so their clubs are required to release them.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree... If I am 3G then I want to see what my YA offer and how they compare to the best in MLS.

My group:
    GK Horvath, Klinsmann, Scott
    RB Yedlin, Moore
    CB Brooks, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Alvarado
    LB Robinson, Johnson
    DM Adams, Morales
    MF McKennie, Holmes, Gooch, Saief
    RF Pulisic, Gall
    FW Sargent, Novakovich
    LF Weah, Amon

Just missed out: Wright, Wood, Hines-Ike, Ream, Corona, Sabbi, Green, Wooten, Palmer-Brown

I’d start the same XI for both games.

But subs;

Vs Ecuador:
    Morales (Holmes) 46 > Adams to MF
    Johnson (Robinson) 46
    Carter-Vickers (Miazga) 46
    Novakovich (Sargent) 70
    Amon (Weah) 70
    Gooch (McKennie) 80

Vs Chile:
    Morales (Holmes) 46 > Adams to MF
    Johnson (Robinson) 46
    Carter-Vickers (Miazga) 46
    Novakovich (Sargent) 70
    Gall (Weah) 70
    Saief (McKennie) 80

Patrick167 repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Romain Gall is a late sub in a league weaker than MLS, Kenny Saief is not even playing, and Gooch is in League One, a third division.

Antonee Robinson may not be yet match fit by the time of the March friendlies. He's not making the 18 yet.

9. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood has been one of our mainstays; Ream has performed ably for Fulham; If "veterans" are called in (like Morales) then those two, including maybe Corona, need to be included. Sabbi and Wright are no worse than Amon. I am unsure whether Green (or Wooten who is also mired in a lower division) should be left out, or whether Hines-Ike and Palmer-Brown shouldn't be given another chance.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iffin you think we don't see Michael Bradley in this group, i don't know what you've been smoking. The guy is as nailed down a call-up as Pulisic, Weston or Tyler Adams. Pick the 19 other players, but assume that group is in. The day will be remebered in history when a fully fit Michael Bradley is left off the list for a significant friendly/qualifier.

manq360 and yurch10 repped this.
  11. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are no doubt right. However, that does not make the decision right. MB should not have been called into camp cupcake...or at least not as a player taking a spot. If GB wants to call him in for advice/counsel for younger players, then that is one thing (however, I do not think his attitude lately even warrants this). He should not have taken a spot that would have gone to a younger player, whether that player is as good or not. I do get that GB wanted his first few games to be winners; and, he feels like he needs to go with an experienced player such as MB. But at what cost to the team and trying out replacements.

We need to get past the MB era. All this time that has been and will, no likely, continue to be used up by MB is only going to keep us from finding a replacement/better option than he. Lets hope the upcoming games proves that GB has guts and is willing to buck the system to make the team a stronger more cohesive one.

yurch10 repped this.
  12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The only reason I could think of to play Bradley in Jan camp was to give Trapp and Bradley one game each with basically the same squad and see what the difference is., That's, in fact, what happened. You can go to opta stats and see the difference. Trapp's passes are longer and he is active in a more advance position than Bradley who sits back and dinks the ball around like Adams (v. Italy).

I'd rather have a long passer like Trapp in the 6 and use the dink-ballers in other areas.

We don't need Bradley when we have Trapp with Canouse in the wings.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #88 DHC1, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Why i agree that WT is a younger probably better version of MB, we don’t need either. Neither one of them can play at an elite level.

gunnerfan7, rlrcpa, bsky22 and 2 others repped this.
  14. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Whenever you can bring in players that have experience leading a team that missed the WC for the first time in decades, and then turned in a below average MLS season, you must! Invaluable!!

manq360 and Patrick167 repped this.
  15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I don’t think either player is crap. I’m trying to say that we have some elite players that we can use instead of them.

16. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    If they can't play at an elite level (NT level in this discussion), then they are crap in a NT discussion.

17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoted from another thread. It may be just incomplete info, but no mention of Berhalter watching Tyler Adams (or Alfredo Morales, or Chandler, for those that have advocated for them).

Dr.Phil and Sombrerito repped this.
  18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC

LOL. If you think that the USMNT pool all play at an elite level, you must be a very young fan. We have very few elite players, although hopefully that number is growing

jnielsen and tomásbernal repped this.
  19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    36, watched most games since 1998 world cup.

I made clear the elite in this convo = NT level. Both are not NT level. Thus, crap.

Lol.

jnielsen and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    If we didn’t have major league quality players for CM, MB/WT would be next in line as they’re both above the Ralston line.

Their level is MLS/B2/Championship which should be good enough to qualify and IMO are therefore NT level. We don’t have a full squad of major league players.

Luckily for us, we have up-and-coming players getting real time in B1 whom I believe to be better both offensively and far better defensively.
    Feel free to call them crap if that makes you feel good as you’re entitled to your opinion.

tomásbernal repped this.
  21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take absolutely no meaning from Berhalter not going to see Adams. It was only 4 months ago that Berhalter's Crew were playing against Adams' Red Bull. Gregg has seen Tyler play numerous times over the last 2 seasons, up close, and knows what he has to offer. Seeing Wes, Sargent, Brooks and the rest are much more important.

tomásbernal repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Chandler is still out injured, and Morales has been playing somewhat better of late but has never looked very good.

Let's hope Berhalter catches Brooks in a good day, because his bad days are terrible, enough to make Ream look good.

ttrevett repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The way soccer fans use the world "elite" around the world, we've never had an elite player and still don't.

jnielsen repped this.
  24. Alex Blanton

Alex Blanton Member

Queens Park Rangers
    United States
    Sep 23, 2018
    The way that people perceive elite depends on their expectations, for instance a top championship player for Sunderland would be considered an elite player by them or on the international stage and elite player for Turks and Caicos would be a player that made it to the MLS. Although I do agree the US has never had anyone that is truly an elite player in the world.

25. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. Perhaps the surprising thing, then, would be that there's no mention of Bobby Wood.