Pre-match: March Friendlies - Ecuador & Chile

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Feb 3, 2019.

1. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    An argument can be made that GB wanted a IF rather than a winger. Since Ebobissie started. His hand may have been forced with Lewis and made a discovery in the process. Which could bode well for players like Amon, Lewis and Ariyibi down the line. Especially if the plan is to keep Puli centrally.

truefan420 repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    McKennie played the first half as a RWB in a 5-3-2 and the second half as a CM in a 4-3-3 when Kutucu came in, and in a 4-4-2 when Burgstaller replaced Uth.

At times he was a CAM, RW, SS and DM too.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  3. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Which further shows why hes an ideal candidate for the rb position according to GB logic, im assuming. I wouldnt waste him there myself. Id keep Lima there for Ecuador.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He'll be better than Sarachan and Arena. He already is, actually. We saw that in Jan camp. But from here on out he'll advance to a point, run up against a problem, and misdiagnose it. We'll see if it starts with Chile and Ecuador.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    McKennie got rounded repeatedly in the rb area today by guys like Forsberg. They took turns. His crosses as a fullback in the offensive half aren't very good. I thought he played like an outside right mid in a flat 442.

Without Nagbe in camp we'll be missing the usual, futile discussion about what Nagbe's position is. Enter McKennie. Second verse, same as the first.

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Sargent and Weah have played more minutes this year. Their in mid season form. Yes their rotational players. Lewis however hasn’t shown that he’s more than rotational and has literally 2 games so far. One start and pulled and the other as a sub 15 minutes. He hasn’t shown he can play consistent minutes at any point in his career. And is 2 to 3 years older.

Namdynamo, Statman, Zinkoff and 2 others repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He'll be sitting on a bench, without having to cross an ocean for the privilege.

8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if this was 3Gs 2nd or 3rd year and he had experience with the pool sure I could see it but it’s his first chance to look at the future up close and personal. They should have been called in not relegated to u23 for players that didn’t have to meet the same requirements as their MLS counterparts.

9. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    How about you let the guy coach and give it some time?

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to, I do, but the good will was lost when we gave him a year to finish out his season with the Crew. We wasted time. Time that could have been better spent.

jnielsen and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  11. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    We didn’t give him a year to finish season. We used a year to elect a president and hire a gm. They then have him a few months to finish the season

majspike, tomásbernal and Pegasus repped this.
  12. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    MF or RWB he played pretty close to the touchline for the first 90% of the match (even with Kutucu on. I would not say he played a CM role at all today.

Zinkoff and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  13. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    He barely attempted to defend as a RB in transition. He wasn’t getting “beat”. But I agree that he isn’t a great 1v1 defender.

I agree with the assessment that he was playing as an outside mid and I think it’s the best position for him.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    McKennie today was their best player, and bet even Kicker will give him a 3. He covered a lot of ground, not just on the side but also centrally.

Does it mean he's a top player? It's hard to tell. Schalke is playing a disorganized mess. Like Total Football as coached by a drunk.

Pragidealist repped this.
  15. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Every time I watch him at Shalke that’s been my problem in evaluating him.

16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weston and Tyler touch videos from today's match including yank v yank violence. Both played very well, Adams as a #6 in a diamond and McKennie as a RWB in a 3-1-4-2.

Namdynamo, CA23, bsky22 and 2 others repped this.
  17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The president should have “resigned” (fired) the day after we lost in T&T. Same with Bruce for that matter. The GM was a BS position. The fact that we’ve been operating without a real TD for so long is also a joke. The positions are essentially the same. Semantics are the difference. The entire “timeline” is a joke. I have zero trust or good will for our fed. Their poorly run. Point blank. It’s not only depriving us fans but setting our program back.

jnielsen, Namdynamo, Statman and 5 others repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I dont think this is a problem, especially due to his age. I actually think it will a strength long term. He has been learning the game inside and out at a young age. I'd think that as he matures, he will become a top player on his team and settle into a main position, but be able to play others.

I like him as an 8/10 in our current system, with him dropping back and pairing centrally with Adam's on defense. I look forward to the day that we are forced to push him deeper as more technical and creative players break through.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Nope. The federation is about being in an inner circle. The players council elected this president and appears that they are getting rewarded by their people getting more power. We are stuck with former USMNT players that mind their manners.

Our new VP is in the inner circle but from the womens side. They also made sure nobody else ran so there could be no public debate. They wasted a year before hiring Berhalter. The number of supposed interviews was extremely low. A competent fed that was in our situation would have interviewed hundreds of candidates to get free ideas, but ours is too arrogant and thinks they know everything.

20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We wasted a year to elect a president and hire a GM (who himself was allowed several months to keep watching Bethlehem Steel games).

Sometimes the criticism of the USSF doesn't make much sense, but please stop defending the USSF's obviously-bad decisions.

jnielsen, Namdynamo, Borrachin and 4 others repped this.
  21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    We should also consider that being a role player in MLS means you arent international quality.

Matt Polster was a guy who was capped in this nonsense January camp last year. He was a regular in MLS and has made the bench once out of seven games. Emerson Hyndman walked into the same squad in 2017 and was named best young player. Timo Weah is coming off the bench for the top team in that league but is viewed as a u23 player.

22. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    It’s a freaking committee without those positions. I know how those work. You may not like the results of the change but the change itself took time. People want to get upset about that fine but your upset at a random fact of life and your anger at changes nothing.

All this misdirected righteous is pointless, annoying and ridiculous

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you look at "incidents", yes.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a hire to make. You do nothing towards that hire for over almost a year, conduct 2 interviews at the end, and hire a mediocre worker. That is objectively bad. The objective after Bruce Arena quit was to find another USMNT coach.

You can lie and say that the objective was to find a GM, or a new President, but the fact is, the search should have begun as soon as Arena quit.

btlove, Namdynamo, bsky22 and 2 others repped this.
  25. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Dude - the first guy was to be elected. That guy was to hire the next guy and that guy was to hire the third. No one waited to hire anyone.

Then when you hire anyone - that guy is generally allowed to finish his preview job and help the transition.

Sometimes a baby just takes 9 months. There are things that happen in a certain sequence and take a certain amount of time.

All this whining a bit it is pretty pointless.