Maradona vs. Pele'

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by GianPaolo, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Diego's boots
    I'd plump for Diego in terms of raw talent and for winning the highest honours without the benefit of great teammates like Pelé had.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprise surprise ........ all of the Europeans posting think that Maradona (who played in Europe) is better than Pele (who didn't play in Europe). What a shocker! :rolleyes: Pele ....... easily.

3. Vic#10

Vic#10 New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Orange County
    Pelé had talented players around him meaning that he had to work even harder to stand out.

4. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And if you did that you would be remembering one world cup more than he won.

5. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fatcheater has fallen by the wayside, returned like the prodigal son into open arms, on several occasions, then shat in the faces of everyone who has supported him, time after time! I find it hard to feel anything but contempt for a man who rose from the gutter, to become an icon amongst his people, only to keep letting them down - the supporters deserve more than that! :([/QUOTE]

Yes Maradona came from the gutter & thats where he is now.
    Since his supporters dont mind this at all, they dont deserve better.
    Pele is a the best there ever was & he is a gentleman

6. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hey how are you doing fellow North American! Nice weather we're having BTW!

Oh I almost forgot, Diego is Pele's father in terms of greatness. Infact the only reason they shared the award for "Greatest Player Ever" is because of Armando's bad rep outside of the game, more specifically they didn't want to primarily award the greatest player of all time cause he was a cocaine addict. They just included Pele cause he is a much more 'respectable' celebrity figure, however personally I think he's a pompous know-it-all idiot.

7. dienasty

dienasty New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Silent Earth
    this is absurd, im calling the FA
    :)

8. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good old North-America! The world epicenter of football expertese. lol
    Just don't forget that you're a plastic italian from Canada. That says a lot of your knowledge, and your bias of course; Italy still have their arses sore by the spanking Pelé gave the catenaccio lovers in 1970.
    Ohh, the FIFA "Greatest Player Ever" award that was conducted by an internet poll where most of the voters are newbies from America and other obscure soccer nations like Canada, Australia and Asia. I bet the only thing from Maradona they have ever seen in their lives are the goals he scored against England and Belgium in '86 that are repeated ad-nauseaum everytime the media wants to hype an WC match. "Awards" like this have the same value of the Razzies for me.
    Yet you rate more that cocaine adict who never missed an oportunity to brag about cheating and how greater than the "negrito" he was, heh? That shows what distortions a spastic like yourself can make to pass as an authority in the matter.

Pelé gets the due recognition as the best, most complete player and examplary sportsman from the people who were able to watch him play and where football is a topic of real public domain, even Europe (sans Italy maybe, for the obvious reasons). No internet polls or hoax awards are gonna change that.

9. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, a Canadian siding with the Europeans. another big surprise. :rolleyes: when you get the queen off of your money, you'll truly be North American. lol

11. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Hey Hey Hey. World Rivalries is right next door. Shall we move this over there before someone gets carded??

12. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

13. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Pele was better.

14. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    That's stupid i woulden't buy that jersey then if it's not authentic.

15. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    You should be shot for saying such an idiotic thing. How dare you say a nation 5 times world champion doesnt have "good competition". If it werent for Brazilians and other S.A.'s Europe teams would be crap and when Pele played THATS EXACTLY WHAT EUROPE WAS, CRAP, since all the Brazilians and Argentinians etc were still playing at home. Fool!

As far as Maradona vs Pele...I saw both play live and many more times on TV. Both were great but which has over 1200 goals? Pele.

To boot Pele was a complete player. Great with both feet and a great header. Maradona...no heading...no right foot.

16. Sir Martin Keown

Sir Martin Keown New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    oops, har har, I was getting confused with the fact that Brazil won the Jules Rimet trophy 3 times and kept it. So Pele won the World Cup only twice, what a loser!!

...all this talk about amabassadors of football, I couldn't give a crap about that. Pele was a great player, now hes senile and his opinion on football has always been a joke.

17. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Geez... how old are you?

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Pele played in 3 WC winning teams, 1958,62 and 70. In 62 he was injured during the group stages. But he is still a three time winner.

19. Sir Martin Keown

Oct 3, 2003
    Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ********! thats what I thought!!, I knew I couldn't be wrong, I'm never wrong!!

20. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    Keown was a poor player who could never make his mark on the international scene, just like BigSoccer's Keown cant on these boards.

21. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    How? Because I live in a colder climate? Because I like gangster films? Or is it because my penis isn't ten inches? Please explain.

Just like how Brazil got punked in '82 right?

You're doing a deservice to your own post by not proving anything, infact you completely neglect to attempt to show any sort of credible evidence for your synnical claims

Its not exactly an outrageous coincidense that FIFA (and it's history of baffling accolades) would decide to have a joint winner for the most significant award its ever given, nenvertheless votes are votes and its no mystery as to why Diego was not the "lone" winner; simply because of his personal history.
    Those where great goals, and a great era for Argentina. Probably one of the most significant tournament's in the games history, which only added to Diego's already magnificent profile.
    As supposed to some mumbling lunatic? Wasn't it Pele who tsaid that Kaka was going to be as great as him? Just like similar profications about Denilson prior?
    Diego may be dead very soon, this is only inevitable with his current condition; but at least he's going to die knowing that the world adored his genius, pride, and sanity (on and off the pitch). People mocked him when he said that "god sent him" and they still do, but being the fact that he was 'that good' only increases specualtion in the matter.

Believe whatever you like but remember to check you patriotism at the door because it is not needed here. Contemptuous posts are reserved for the rivalries forum.

22. Sir Martin Keown

Oct 3, 2003
    Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ..........fancy a shag?

23. CerroPorteño

CerroPorteño New Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Asunción
    I think maradona is better but i hate argentinians

24. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Why does GianPaolo always only write SHlT? He knows about football what I know about Badminton, and is not very much. Is he really that stupid or he does it intentionally to become some kind of forum mascott?

25. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Right. Of course.

Have you ever tried analyzing Brazil's dominance in terms of population? If a country is larger than the greatest two or three European powers combined... wouldn't it be ridiculous to predict anything other than victory? Isn't anything less underachievement?

Throw Italy, France, and maybe Holland together as a common pool of players... and perhaps you'd have seen far fewer Brazilian championships.

Hell, for the same reason... I take the US's recent "achievements" with a grain of salt. We've got 300m people - with such an advantage, our failings in interest and infrastructure are even more galling.