Maradona v Messi

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by thetoffees, Oct 30, 2009.

1. thetoffees

thetoffees New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
  2. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I dont think that its fair to Messi to compare him to Maradona so young. This would be a more valid comparison when Messi is 34 or so.

3. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Of course this may change as Messi gets older but Lionel is much less of an arse.

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Only because his quiet right now, let's see how he acts when he gets older and more mature. Remember we don't know what he's thinking. In that sense he's more measured than Diego, where Diego just doesn't give a crap and says what's on his mind.

5. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What has that to do with anything? I really don't care in a players capacity what their private lives are like, on the pitch Diego was the best, period. Messi is a phenom, but still green, he also does not have that little extra something Diego had, we can see this allready.;)

6. Bytor

Bytor Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Indeed.

As a player Maradona is the best ever and Messi is a kid who has the potential to become something great. Can he take place with Pele and Maradona as an ultimate football legend... only time will tell.

Maybe if Leo brings us our 3rd title next summer... ;)

We can discuss endlessly about club football, and how utterly amazing Diego was in Napoli. But for the general public it's the World Cup where real legends are made. What Diego did in Mexico 86 is unique... and he's also a hero and a villain... Elvis of football... the King (in good and bad). And tragic and controversial characters are always much more exciting... and have much more "mystique" surrounding them.

Do I think Diego is bit of an idiot? Yes, but I still love him... I don't think there is a player who genuinely loves football and his country more than Diego. He's a true football fan and a legend extraordinaire. But at the same time he's absolutely the WORST possible head coach for this team... with the worst possible characteristics for the job: he's emotional, over-impulsive and paranoid... the list goes on... on the field he was able to make miracles and win the games alone (against Brazil in 1990 for example, with knee injuries and all...) When he was playing I always felt safe... he always had some magic card in his pocket.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0-U3RsOKY"]YouTube - Argentina - Brazil 1990 Italy World Cup[/ame]

Is Messi a player like that... someone that can alone take a lousy team to the World Cup final... and be the ultimate leader? I seriously doubt it. Even a crappy team with Diego on the lineup was a potential title contender...

Messi is amazing and he can be visually stunning... but as a total player he's not even close to Diego's level yet.

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi is not even close to Maradona. We'll see next WC what kind of player he really is.

8. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Messi is good but won't ever be as good as Maradona. The only thing you can compare is Messi's dribbling ability with Maradona. He doesn't have the free kicks, bicycle kicks, leadership skills technique and play making skills that Maradona had.

He's just a fast dribbler with good finishing skills. He can't learn these things, you're just born with it.

9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Messi's play-making (killer passes). This stuff is beautiful:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTIEpqMwCbk"]YouTube- Messi Assists[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  10. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah he can do some good passes but I think he just isn't as skillful and influential as Maradona. The closest player to Maradona in terms of ability was Ronaldinho but he didn't reach his potential.

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Maradona at 22 wasn't Maradona yet. We'll see. Obviously the odds are against Messi to become the best or second best player in history.

12. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Some people say that Maradona was at his best when he was playing in Argentina. Even then he had much more skills and was more complete than Messi. Messi is very good but more one dimensional than Maradona.

13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Well at 22 Maradona, like Messi, hadn't shown what he could do on the international level in a WC but he had been performing at a very high level for years already. Just check out some of his numbers at Argentinos Juniors and Boca. When he was transfered to Barcelona at that age it was a world record fee.

14. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    So all that sounds like Messi right now at the same age. High level for the club for years, a world record transfer which would happen except he and Barcelona are very happy together. He just needs to step it up and continue to improve and accomplish rather than plateau at this point. Unfortunately, Messi's biggest obstacle to national team success right now is guess who as his Argentina manager.

15. Seemos

Seemos New Member

Nov 15, 2009
    I think it is not about how many titles will Messi accomplish..for sure he will accomplish more than Maradona in this regard..but I think it is about the quality and enjoyment that you get from watching the two players..Diego is way better..and can be compared to Zidane no one else..

16. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1 person likes this.