ManU Chelsea who finds Losers Leap first

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by lobomojo, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Before this match, we had zero wins away from home against top 6 teams and outscored 13-1.

2. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    After this match, we also have zero wins away from home against top 6 teams :ROFLMAO:

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better balance in the mid 3 against weaker sides (RLC/Barkley). Cho finally starting. A couple of games we’ve switched out of the 4-3-3 when we needed to chase a goal. Finally starting to rotate the squad. He’s not perfect and he still needs to improve but it’s not all on him. These players have been bad too. Let’s see how the season finishes out and go from there.

Wrath and JimWharton repped this.
  4. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think any success we end up with is despite him, not because. Looking at today's lineup tells me he hasn't adapted at all. Bar one major keeper error, we end up with nothing. Your record on the road against the top clubs tells you a lot about how sound the manager is and our record there is dire.

I do expect him to see out the season but whatever our transfer situation, have to make a change or next season is largely a write off. He has doubled down on his system and refuses to contemplate any meaningful alternative.

lobomojo, Dr_Intoxicated and Yahtzee repped this.
  5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    KDB answered well to this. Waiting til the 11th hour to start playing the kids who clearly needed to be in months ago isn’t commendable. Sticking to a rigid approach to play, misusing Kante every week, etc. is not something I see as a positive.

Today, the draw is thanks to dumb luck and even if Gonzalo didn’t shit the bed and put us 2-1 up I’d still feel the same way about Sarri.

Dtrip77, lobomojo and Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t say he learned quickly but he did it none the less. Kovacic makes sense if he wanted better defensive balance. He went into the game for a tie I don’t like it but it was the plan and it worked.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe but you could say some of our losses aren’t on him but solely the players.

Yea I’m not sure he should be the coach next year but we also won’t be attracting a top coach either. We should wait and see what happens with the ban and go from there.

8. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This really, even if Sarri goes who the hell is going to replace him? I would perhaps give Eddie Howe a go but he probably isn't available and even then a new manager is always a gamble. To be fair to Sarri he hasn't actually had a pre-season yet! To be sure things have been pretty 'dire' at times but its been that way since Conte won the title, I certainly don't think Sarri has worked yet but lets be honest - he hasn't been given much of a chance yet either (Guardiola's first season wasn't great).

9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This season under Sarri is kinda how I thought Conte's first would go.

Some other hot takes on yesterday in no order.

1. The mistakes De Gea are making are amateur hour. It's been several weeks of this now. This is either an unprecedented mental lapse by one of the world's best players, or he's been bought off. As a former GK, the goals he's let in are grade A howlers.

2. The "miss" by Higuain at the end has been magnified because of when it took place. Had it happened in the 56th minute, it would have just been lumped in with an overall poor performance by him. It wasn't a dreadful miss. It's still a tough finish in the end, but it's one the club bent over backwards for to provide to Sarri.

3. No wonder RLC has back issues. The way he moves and shields the ball is incredible. I was down on him big time a year or so ago, but his progression is a lot of fun to watch. Add some consistency and goals and we're in business.

4. Luiz faking the crowd, ref, and commentators out with a fake groin injury to stop the and get our player on was the best. And United gave the ball back.

5. Hazard didn't look bothered to really play in the end, did he. I feel the whole team were given instructions to secure the tie.

10. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Regarding your third point - considering his playing time this year I think RLC's goal return hasn't been too bad, especially when you compare it to kovacic and Jourginho's!

11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, true. I guess I'm guilty of wanting him to be at Lampard's level, but that's not fair. No equal to that kind of output from midfield.

12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Also, it wasn't til Lamps third season as a starter for us that he hit the 10 premier league goal mark in a season. Ruben's gone and bagged himself 5 while largely unfavored this season.

I really, really believe he's got what it takes to legitimately be one of the best in the world. Insane considering I did not rate him 1-2 years ago. The guy is a gem. He's got everything it takes to become the best goal scoring mid in the world.

lobomojo repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything but consistent health

Wrath repped this.
  14. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    it's hard to analogue his style, a couple years back he did an interview that said he was told to watch and emulate ballack more than lampard and i really think you can see that in his game at times, however, he's a superior dribbler than either of those two ever were and has a skillset that could be even more well rounded. his strength is incredibly impressive and this season you can see he's learned how and when to use it more, his decision making has improved as well. you can see the progression. i think a lot of us (at least me) have seen the potential but it's always down to the player to realize it and improve and i think we are actually seeing that improvement he needs to keep with it, but honestly any midfield purchasing we do at this point needs to be ask a backup to RLC's health in my mind. cause he absolutely should be starting.

i think people haven't given Sarri enough credit with his handling of RLC. he basically came in and told him he had some things he needed to improve on tactically, so RLC did it, started getting more time, more trust and was really breaking through in front of both Kovacic and Barkley in the winter before he had another injury he had to recover from, and as soon as he got healthy he was back in the team and even starting. RLC's only threat to his career is the health of his body at this point. if the medical team and Sarri had faith in his fitness (not quite there) i think he's the automatic starter that Kante is honestly.

Wrath repped this.
  15. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed to a certain extent.

Considering how utterly stagnant Willian/Pedro have been over the last couple of years, there was far more urgency and reason in my mind to get CHO going sooner. It also wasn't until very recently, following some shit results that he found himself starting. Same with RLC. Not nearly as measured an approach by our manager but more of a "well, clearly what I've been trying every.single.week isn't the best idea so I need to do something else"

Kante's new role also hasn't been validated whatsoever.

lobomojo repped this.
  16. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i disagree. i've heard a lot of people say RLC came on late. its like everyone forgets that he was in constant rotation and building more and more time and about to overtake his competition before his injury. do we not remember that he even got injured and had to be rested? RLC has basically been building in time all season, you just have to take out the games he missed through fitness. there are plenty of quotes of Sarri talking about RLC's tactical progression and need to improve and RLC himself saying it.

it's not that dissimilar with CHO. everyone is looking at CHO's later performances but are we really thinking that early in the season he could have been as tactically disciplined as Sarri wants compared to Pedro/Willian? again, he told CHO what he needed to improve on, and when he showed that improvement he started playing more. even saying after some of his late sub performances that he was showing that he deserves more time and then he gave it to him.

CHO may have been a later reaction but RLC has been coming on through most of the season, not just recently. remember he also had three players for one position essentially.

Wrath repped this.
  17. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well said.

You are speaking to someone who has long held the "I really don't need to see Willian or Pedro in the starting 11" anymore mentality.. basically, the positives of just giving the kids a run out, showing confidence in them from the jump versus waiting for them to earn their place over underperforming, overpaid imports.