Mansueto In

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Pennsylvania Dave, Sep 16, 2019.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    With one exception: 71 W Van Buren St.

SixKick and xtomx repped this.
  2. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    The jersey will be generically boring and same with the logo. Being able to recognize the jersey in a video game or from afar on a tv at a bar is really smart design. Having a logo with a silhouette that is identifiable is really smart business.

Both of these aspects will be missed and the Anglophile take over of US soccer will continue. Yay white supremacy. :/

SixKick repped this.
  3. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    By the way, what do you do with the Kool Aid?

Mix it with Hamm's (the beer refreshing)?

Snort it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

song219, GHjelm and sportscrazed2 repped this.
  6. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Studies have shown that Kool Aid reduces the burn from spicy foods.

7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, when poured in your eyes.
    The citric acid burning makes you totally forget the spicy food.

8. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make coolaid with it. But in all seriousness I had the idea to make it with Hamm's like a week ago for some reason. Came to my senses later.

xtomx repped this.
  9. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    All of this.

Though at least with navy the team's main color will match the stadium's seats for the first time. So that's something.

lethargytartare repped this.
  10. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    All these interviews with Mansueto have me pretty excited, it seems like he really gets it. Not in a stupid rah-rah fake fan-speak sort of a way, nor in a poseur soccer culture mad libs sort of way, but in a "I understand what the product is here, and see the potential for upfront investment to pay out massively over the long term" sort of way.

Maybe he's lying his behind off and is going to start trying to steal public funds to build a 20k yuppie corporate minor league palace like so many other MLS groups have, but the size of the check he wrote to get out of Bridgeview indicates he sees a bigger endgame than that.

11. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that either of us really know, but I had the opposite reaction. My first thought was that Hauptman said very similar things in 2007. My second thought was that his answers are perfectly constructed and repeated nearly verbatim across multiple interviews. That makes it feel less genuine, as if a consultant had him memorize it.

I’m not dumping on the guy really! He says he loves the Fire name? Great, make it the name of the team. He says he loves our history and passionate fan base? Great ,make sure that tradition and passion don’t disappear with a navy jersey and altered logo.

That 60 million check to Bridgeview speaks volumes, but there is a lot more that needs to be done and I’ll cheer him all the way as he’s doing it, but not before.

goldclover and bunge repped this.
  12. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just the 65.5 million buy out, it's that and the 400 million he paid for the team. That's almost 1/2 a billion, yeah BILLION dollars (not including SF rent/possible SSS). If he's going to go the Hautpman route he's going to lose big time.

Oh Andi only paid 35 million, yeah a lot of money, but not close to what Joe has spent so far.

GHjelm and sportscrazed2 repped this.
  13. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly. In 2ish years he has literally already invested 10x what Andy did in more than a decade!

xtomx, bunge and firefan2001 repped this.
  14. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just over year, I believe it was around June/July in 2018 he bought 49%, That's 14-15 months.

GHjelm repped this.
  15. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A good first start for me would be for Mansueto to change the RoF process back to the way it was originally set up.

GHjelm and Mac97 repped this.
  16. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
  17. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    The Galaxy did a partial rebrand when Beckham arrived.

bunge and SixKick repped this.
  18. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    And I personally thought it was stupid how they changed their badge to a nondescript shield and updated their colors to look like Real Madrid. Too afraid to be American but also too afraid to go full Europoser.

I think a team called the Fire who wear navy blue is stupid. Either embrace the identity or don’t, but don’t tell me you can have it both ways.

goldclover repped this.
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I still think the original shield was better. I still say this even though my Galaxy hatred is still pure and everlasting.

Jiggly_333 and moleman repped this.
  20. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    The new Galaxy brand:
    1. looks good
    2. didn't really replace anything that had stabilized into tradition
    3. replaced something that didn't look good, and was quite dated

They easily cleared a low bar. The Fire iconography is much better and much more rooted, so it would be a much much higher bar for any significant changes.

21. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had my way, they wouldn’t change anything. That being said, many teams, even famous teams like Arsenal and PSG have updated their logos, so it’s not unprecedented. If they went that route, which I don’t advise, but if they did, I liked the two crossed fire axes with the red star above them that was used as a secondary logo a few years back. Maybe put that on top of the existing Maltese cross to maintain the existing iconography? Just spitballing.

22. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    I don’t disagree it looked bad, but it was theirs and recognizable. How many teams play in yellow and teal?

I think that the current badge is perfect for a team called the Fire. I guess you could rebrand the badge with two crossed axes instead, but everyone will say we are just ripping off West Ham’s badge.

23. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    There's obviously ways to do it right, but there's also much more ways to get it wrong. I know that we all still love Mansueto because he hasn't done anything wrong yet, but this is the sort of thing that you don't just trust anyone on. Hopefully it isn't too much; but then again any change will be met with resistance, I think, even if it's the right kind of changes.

Old Man! and xtomx repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #50 xtomx, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    At least one too many. Those are terrible colors.
    Oh, and wasn't it "juniper" and yellow?
    upload_2019-9-20_16-18-31.jpeg
    A young Chris Armas!

Really, every one of these "originals" (other than the DC United jersey) was awful, awful, awful.

upload_2019-9-20_16-19-59.jpeg
    Recognizable is not ALWAYS a good thing.
    Makes my eyes bleed.

Yep.

GHjelm and bunge repped this.