Pre-match: Manchester Yankees v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Aug 31, 2016.

1. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    we don't need old Euros. We just need some guys who have half a brain

JRHokie, song219 and sitruc repped this.
  2. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice defending, Nick.

3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    5 minutes. don't waste it

4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    can we please stop passing the ball backwards on this little field?

5. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    unbelieveable.

Oveki8 repped this.
  6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Pretty unfortunate stuff, the team played well but individually the talent level is way off between the teams. Having guys like Vincent or Robinson out there along with perennially bad players like DeLeon doesn't help us close out

7. Von Zee

Von Zee Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I think the problem is we have too many guys with half a brain.

8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The real downside here is it's another loss away to a good team and next match it's NYRB away with no Acosta :/

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    0 points.

Oveki8 repped this.
  10. dcjeffc

dcjeffc Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Starting Mishu and Robinson wasn't really going to deliver a win was it? No. Would have been great if it had. Should have had 1 point, got none. Not good.

11. Skippyjack1912

Skippyjack1912 New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    That was ridiculous.. Lampard doing what Lampard has always done.. become a match winner.

10 minutes and DC crumbled.

12. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    This game is on Olsen.

DC United was matched up well for most of the game, but then the conservatism set in. Taking Acosta out killed our momentum (Nyarko sub was a necessity, but that hurt us as well). With a lead you need to have a solid offensive threat to keep the other team honest. It happened in Montreal and it happened here, hopefully Olsen learned his lesson...

ps-Oh yeah, and F**K Galaxy East!

13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Thank you Luke Mishu -- you don't see stupid shit like that from a U-8 player. NDL compeletely shit the bed in his time as well. Looked for the last 15 minutes that everyone was channeling "Backpass" Clyde Simms. You fight and put in a good effort for 75 minutes and then go to sleep. Without Nyarko and Acosta, this is an NASL team. Mishu is USL or probably PDL. If Kemp is seriously injured, the season is over, Mishu can't handle the pressure in this league.

sitruc repped this.
  14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another example of Olsen's coaching genius: sub out your best player. Result: 2 unanswered goals. These things are not unrelated.

Player quality: I've said it so much, I'm getting tired of saying it. We don't have many players capable of passing the ball, all they can do is kick it. It is this sort of shit skill that resulted in the 1st NY goal. So here's any idea, unskilled ****************, incapable of passing players: if you're just going to kick the ball, kick it out of bounds. At least the rest of the team can get reset.

********ing horrible.

And yes, I'm completely ignoring all of the positives from tonight's game, and there were many. And mini.

15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. Olsen always was, and always will be, KOTBP (King of the Back Pass). It's what I hated most about him when he played. Infuriating.

16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm furious.. You f*cking prices of sh*t, Thorir & Levien. You f*cking a**holes starves this team of talent while NYCFC gets to go out and talent like David Villa & Lampard - who play for a team coached but Patrick Freakin' Viera. What the h*ll? You go out and buy Swansea & Inter Milan and screw us with a new soccer specific stadium that seats only 19 K. You freakin' a**holes.

17. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You are absolutely right, Mishu's play on any other team would get him released. That isn't a rookie mistake, that's a bad player mistake. You are defending a one goal lead, if you have no play or lack the skill to turn and play the ball upfield, play it out, don't aimlessly kick it "towards" your keeper from 45 years with one of the best poachers in the game just sitting there drooling in anticipation. ********tard.

18. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    But you forgot the immortal tour of Indonesia after the 2013 "championship" season and Syamsir Alam and Andrea Mancini.

Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  19. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Ugh. I couldn't start watching until the 81st minute so saw lots of bad stuff - if only I had arrived a minute or two early I would have caught first NY goal too... On NY goal 2 I can't get over NDL so poorly shield the ball. It's unfortunate that in the 93rd minute Buescher elected to shoot rather than take the open dribble to the corner. But he's a rookie and will make mistakes.

It's important for the team to keep their heads. We didn't have to get points from this game, although obviously ti have helped. Now each game gets incrementally more important. A draw against RBNY keeps them within range (in theory); Chicago is a road win waiting to happen; and then the home showdown against Orlando that can make everything right.

20. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel bad for our loyal fans who made the trip up from D.C. They were ill served by our owners.

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think the criticism of Ben pulling Acosta is very harsh. Acosta was carrying an injury since about 25 minutes in. I was surprised they actually waited that long because he was reaching for that calf after every sprint. And as the game wore on he was becoming less and less mobile. It's a thin line between keeping your best player in and risking a muscle injury that takes a month to heal.

That Acosta sub is not why we lost. What really cost this team is a lack of depth in some areas. Korb's absence finally catches up to us because I guarantee you Korb doesn't make that Mishu backpass. We also could use some more solidity in defensive midfield to lock these types of games down. This is not the first time we've shown some softness down the spine by letting teams get back into games that we're leading. Sarvas is a wily technical player, but he needs more help. I'm not sure Vincent is really adequate at this level and bringing Buscher in is not necessarily my idea of locking down the midfield. Whatever shortcomings we have this season can be largely attributed to this part of the roster. As the weeks go on it makes the Igboananike move seem more and more illogical. We had one more major bullet in the chamber and we use it on a forward that can't even get off the bench? For that kind of investment we could have used a starting level defensive midfielder.

Marco10, fatbastard, song219 and 5 others repped this.
  22. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where United's inability to scout overseas really kills. We're sort of restricted to guys other teams have decided they are willing to trade. So if the piece we need isn't available, we have to settle for another piece.

Freestyle2000, Winoman, tallguy and 2 others repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think a lot of it was panic at not being able to score in the first half of the season. They used every penny available on attack ... Kamara, Mullins, Sam and Igboananike ... In retrospect that's one too many ... Igbo in particular is proving redundant.

A player like Kitchen is really the missing link right now. An iron man workhorse sitting in front of the backline to give the defense more structure allowing Sarvas more freedom to dictate the tempo. It's too bad they never overlapped because that could have been an effective partnership. You're right about maybe that player not necessarily being available inside the league right now. The ones I'm thinking of like Matias Laba, Tony Tchani, Diego Chara, Carlos Gruezo and Roger Espinoza are all on lockdown.

This is the problem with our team construction. For every step forward there's another step backwards. The roster always has one or two glaring weaknesses and every year we have at least one player that misses the entire season which we can't afford on our limited resources. This year it's Korb and Rolfe ... In previous years it was Pontius, EJ, De Ro, Arnaud etc ...

Oveki8 repped this.
  24. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think so in retrospect. But the tale of United recently is when they make the playoffs, they coast in on fumes, and have no healthy bodies to rotate into attack. In that sense, I'm glad they made the effort to grab extra attackers.

Of course, when we don't make the playoffs because we can't hold a lead, this is a moot point.

Oveki8 repped this.
  25. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    DC missed two glorious chances to finish this game off. If either one of those connects, it's game over. They were toying with Manchester City USA for 75 minutes. So I'm not ready to curse the owner or the GM or the coach.

I would love to meet NYCFC again in the playoffs; they're even more deeply flawed than DC is. Just don't let Agent Mishu on the field.

Heist and Boloni86 repped this.