Pre-match: Manchester Yankees v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Aug 31, 2016.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who: NYCFC v. D.C. United
    What: MLS game 28 (NY), MLS game 27 (DC)
    When: Thursday (!) September 1, 2016, 7 PM
    Where: Yankee Stadium
    Why: Because the Yankees play at home Monday and we don't respect the international break

Let's ******** 'em up

Oveki8, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I really loathe everything about NYCFC.

Oveki8, Winoman and Theopisa repped this.
  3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing remotely "good" about NYCFC is that they are actually in NYC, unlike the "New York" Red Bulls, who abide in the malodorous, fetid, swamplands of northern New Joisy.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like how the team's run or the field they play on but you do indeed have to love them for being able to claim they are actually from NY, very much unlike that other poser team that only claims to be because the reality is too embarrassing. Until now we've only really had the Rochester Rhinos to argue were more of a NY team :D
    And I like them for giving us Mullins instead of keeping him languishing on their bench.
    I will still hate them for stealing McNamara and 117 or so other reasons.

I do want to go to at least one game while they still play at Yankee's stadium just to see it. I hate baseball so there's never been a reason for me to go there and I'm curious how they shoe-horn the field in and what the views from there (if there are any) look like.

DC - 2
    City F*c* - 2

tallguy, Winoman and Theopisa repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I went there once for a game and it was more than enough. Besides it's not Yankee Stadium it's New Yankee Stadium.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it smells of fresh piss instead of stale piss?

7. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #7 Q*bert Jones III, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    For a 2 billion dollar stadium, it's about as plain as can be. It's basically a giant concrete diamond with a couple of phony architectural details thrown in to give the illusion of nostalgia. It's a McMansion stadium.

There is absolutely no way the soccer field is FIFA-legal. You can eyeball it and see that. The seating arrangement is awful, with the main bulk of seats in a different zip code from the field, and bleachers for the closer sections.

The only plus is that compared to the far superior RBA it takes half as long, and costs half as much, to get home if you live in the city.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A tie would be an acceptable result for us @NYCFC, but with how we're playing and how they do at home... and especially considering Josh Saunders, we could certainly win too.
    Then hope Orlando loses to Montreal. I believe they'll be down Larin and another forward @ Montreal. Not sure who Montreal loses for the international break.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK - I had NO idea about this - I mean, the first part of the sentence... Now it all makes more sense... I bet it was the same last year (we played on a thursday too)

10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just wish I could be as optimistic as you are... and I hope it happens, but the truth is that they're way stronger than us and they play home... Let's hope for a Mullins in search of revenge...

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They looked pretty pedestrian @ Orlando.

12. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I like our chances in this game. Need 3 points imho

Mullins gets some revenge goals.

Minute that Sarvas gets a card is 14th on Pirlo after two verbals from the ref

13. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MetroSrars, on the other hand, never pretended to be New York's team. At first, they went as "the New York/New Jersey MetroStars" before shortening their name to simply "the MetroStars." In that sense, the Scum had more integrity than the Pink Cows.

fatbastard repped this.
  14. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we supposed to hate Manchester City West? Because I just don't care. Insofar as they are a stand-in for this league's too rapid (imo) expansion, the funneling of the best players to certain teams, and the tendency to sign big name foreign players whether they fit the team or not, they disgust me a little. But the team itself is pretty bland, I think.

Yeah, given NYCFC's home record, I would hope for this to be a win, but winning on the road is always tough. Plus, I think DC's offense runs better when Nyarko and Acosta have room to operate and there's barely room to stand on that fussball table. Unfortunately, given DC's tendency to give too much respect to big name players and their general inconsistency, I think this game could go either way. I'm hoping for a win, but I'm not convinced that DC has turned the corner and become a "winning" team yet.

tallguy repped this.
  15. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    #15 song219, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    I'll admit I don't care enough to hate, they are just another eastern conference team. They are the Columbus Crew with less history.

sitruc and DangSkippy repped this.
  16. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping for a win. Mattarrita is a great left back who's gone on international duty. The right back is Jason Hernandez. I don't see why United can't score three and win this road game, other than they never do.

17. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's by far the suckiest place in the eastern conference where I have seen a game.

18. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's worse in the West?

19. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I doubt if any but I've not been to enough western venues to judge.

20. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It's been pouring rain all day.

21. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    That's probably good for us, although come to think of it we didn't fare that well in the rain last week.

22. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Possibly the most experienced attack against the least experienced defense in recent MLS history; Goff reports the starting line-up and that Opare took a knock in practice and is not starting.
    #DCU: Hamid; Franklin, Boswell, Robinson, Mishu; Vincent; Sam, Sarvas, Acosta, Nyarko; Mullins

sitruc repped this.
  23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kemp injured his foot and he's not starting either. Mishu did well in his only start, but still....

sitruc repped this.
  24. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Just turned it on and saw we were playing Montreal. I thought "huh" then I heard Lindsey's lame commentary and realized it was the usual cockup, they were just getting it out of the way early apparently.

sitruc repped this.
  25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Colin Kaepernick ain't got nothing on ASN.