PBP: Manchester United v FC Barcelona | UEFA Champions League Quarterfinal - 1st Leg | 10 April 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1 Viscaelbarca, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wednesday, 10 April 2019
    21:00 BARCELONA TIME

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OLD TRAFFORD
    M A N C H E S T E R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

[​IMG]
    ICC 27-07-2017 FT Barcelona 1 : 0 Manchester United
    ICC 25-07-2015 FT Barcelona 1 : 3 Manchester United
    ICF 08-08-2012 PEN Manchester United 0 : 0 Barcelona
    ICWS 31-07-2011 FT Barcelona 1 : 2 Manchester United
    UCL 28-05-2011 FT Barcelona 3 : 1 Manchester United

UCL 27-05-2009 FT Barcelona 2 : 0 Manchester United

SQUAD LIST FOR THE MATCH

Ter Stegen, Cillessen, Iñaki Peña
    Roberto, Semedo, Piqué, Lenglet, Umtiti, Murillo, Jordi Alba
    Rakitic, Sergio, Coutinho, Arthur, Vidal, Aleñá
    Suárez, Messi, O. Dembélé, Malcom, Prince

Vermaelen is out with discomfort in his left leg. Dembélé is in the squad, but does not have medical clearance. Todibo is travelling with the team despite not being registered for the Champions League. Carles Aleñá will wear the number 26, the number he was initially registered with for this season's Champions League.

[​IMG]

VISCAELBARCA

puyol, celito, unclesox and 2 others repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1 booking away from missing out on the 2nd leg:

Barça: Semedo

Man Utd: Herrera, Matic, Shaw, Valencia, Young

ShortyMac and Gilmango repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    hmmm... that's quite a list for Man United. From what I saw of Man Utd's rivival, Luke Shaw was quite key to that so I imagine he would be a big potential loss (and will be difficult for him not to pick up a yellow in the first leg with Messi on his side).

Gilmango repped this.
  4. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    ManU won't be a walk in the park by any means me thinks. On a good day the Pogba, Rashford, and Lingard trident can cause a lot of trouble, not to mention Martial and Lukaku. They have a talented squad, it just hasn't shown much this year for obvious reasons. *cough* Mourinho *cough*. I'm cautiously optimistic though, as one would be having an in-form Messi and Suarez in your squad. I can't wait for Dembele to start playing again and I hope to see more of Malcolm.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, just hope they don't bring back Dembele too soon. Doesn't need to play on Wednesday if he's not 100% fit. But I think Valverde learned his lesson the last time....

6. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the questions are about the same as they were before Atletico:

X - who starts at RB (Semedo or Roberto) next to Pique, Lenglet, and Alba
    Y - who starts next to Rakitic and Busquets in the midfield (Arthur or Vidal or Roberto or Alena)
    Z - who starts next to Messi and Suarez on the frontline (Coutinho or Malcom or Dembele or a 4th midfielder for a 4-4-2)

I think that EV will start Semedo (need for speed), Arthur (need for control), and Coutinho (don't want to rush Dembele back, wish he'd start Malcom but hopefully Malcom and/or Dembele come on as a sub and do damage late by changing our dynamic and also wreaking havoc by running at tired legs).

Could also see playing a 4-4-2 with both Arthur and Vidal in the midfield (and no third forward), but more likely Vidal like Malcom (and/or Dembele) is a 2nd half sub.

Trillz repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Semedo should start since ManU has speed on the wings.

Probably Arthur starts but wouldn't be surprised if EV goes the Vidal route.

And most likely Coutinho starts. Not only EV has shown an unwillingness to not start Malcom over Coutinho, but also he may find it valuable that Coutinho has played in the EPL and is "used" to playing EPL teams.

Gilmango repped this.
  8. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Meh, what good is Coutinho's experience vs EPL teams if he's just not delivering the goods. Admittedly, he was pretty decent in his last outing, but when Malcolm came on he was electrifying though it was frustrating seeing him get by defenders so easily only to cut back and pass the ball backwards or sideways. So little confidence in his right foot. That's where Dembele edges them all out; being ambidextrous (two-footed) is a major plus in football.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not saying I agree. Just stating what EV probably thinks. Even when Coutinho is playing well, players like Dembele and Malcom bring something to the team that he just can't.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm sure Dembele would start if he was healthy. But just not worth risking him otherwise. Have to think bigger picture here.

Trillz repped this.
  11. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    we will win,3-0:thumbsup:

12. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Finally a game I can watch on TV instead of streaming :inlove:

Rattlehead repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Where are you? :confused: Pretty sure whichever network is showing CLquarters on TV is the same one that showed CL round of 16.

14. Barcabreakdown

Barcabreakdown New Member

Barcelona
    Croatia
    Apr 8, 2019
    Barcelona players have been on form, I've seen the passion in their eyes, and I have confidence in Valverde's decisions. I have a great feeling about our chances against Man U, especially seeing how we did against Atletico and how Man U has looked recently (lost to the wolves twice). If you'd guys like to hear more analysis and discussion check out this podcast "Barca Breakdown" on iTunes or Spotify. We'd really appreciate your feedback so leave us a review, like, or follow and we have a page on Twitter @Barcabreakdown. Thanks! FORCA BARCA!!!
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/barca-breakdown-fc-barcelona/id1455937644?mt=2&i=1000432448888

https://open.spotify.com/show/3yUZHsWKh0qJg90xoaFvzc

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Uefa.com predicting Barca will go with a 4-4-2.
    “Barcelona: Ter Stegen; Semedo, Piqué, Lenglet, Alba; Vidal, Arthur, Busquets, Rakitić; Messi, Suárez
    Out: Rafinha (knee)
    Doubtful: Dembélé (hamstring)
    Misses next match if booked: Semedo”

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sport saying otherwise.

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Same here. Im on East Asia and the local TV would only air the match that involve English team.

18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Most we will see from Dembele is a bench spot. I'd let him rest well as Malcom has been a suitable replacement if the game asks for it. If there was no Dembele replacement it'd be a different story. It really is that simple.

Gilmango repped this.
  20. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Play Semedo, Arthur, and Coutinho. I'm nervous about this tie. I hope we put our best foot forward and dictate play. Given United's strong away record (wins against Juve and PSG and a major streak in league as well) I think getting a winning result tomorrow is imperative.

21. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dembele has his medical green light, but as Celito said, Dembele isn't ready to start, and why risk him off the bench when Malcom (who is likely to start on the bench himself) gives us similar qualities as a sub, without the risk of an injury re-occurrence, which is exactly what happened when we rushed Dembele back to play against Lyon.

Still I expect he will likely make the match squad.

https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...ssed-fit-for-the-match-against-united-7399659

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Since the first leg is away, I’m thinking more about offense right now than the need to keep a clean sheet.

Expecting 4 goals minimum over the two legs, including one in OT. Emphasis on “Minimum”. This defense is really not good at all.

BTW, Terrible match to watch in North America. Anywhere a Barca fan goes they will be outnumbered 5:1 by ManUre fans. :thumbsdown:

2in10 repped this.
  23. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    i expect scoring two more goals this game

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Except Miami :D

25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the great joys I had as a Barca fan was watching Iniesta's Stamford Bridge goal in the only Chelsea bar in San Francisco. Must have been outnumbered at least 10:1 but then Iniesta struck and the handful of us could not contain ourselves.

BocaFan repped this.