Pre-match: Manchester City Yankees v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Mar 9, 2017.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who: NYCFC v. D.C. United
    What: MLS 2017 Regular Season Round 2
    Where: Yankee Stadium., Bronx, NY
    When: Sunday, March 12, 2017, 2PM
    Why: No idea as it's not nationally televised and baseball isn't in season.

Standings:
    D.C. - 0-0-1, 1 pt., 0 GD, 5th in East
    NYC - 0-1-0, 0 pts., -1 GD, 11th in East

Form
    D.C. - D
    NYC - L

Injuries
    D.C. - Acosta (day-to-day)
    NYC - I don't know

Weather
    Colder than the home opener

Outlook
    Draw

Winoman repped this.
  2. Eben

Eben Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Fairfax, VA
    Goff, DCU, and MLS indicate WJLA is broadcasting the game locally; however, WJLA says it's showing the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg at noon and NBA at 3:30, so I'm guessing DCU gets shunted to NC8.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's on my guide as 2-4 on NC8.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Eben

Eben Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks for the confirmation. Sucks because I have DirecTV on which NC8 is unwatchable center-cut standard-def 4:3. (Actually, the more I think about it, I think DirecTV's feed is standard-def 4:3, which is stretched to 16:9 and then center cut, because the header with the score is cut off the side, which it wouldn't be if it were center cut from 16:9 to 4:3. Regardless, it's still unwatchable.)

sitruc repped this.
  5. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    If Lucho is unable to play I hope we will at least have the consolation of an in studio appearance by the Bumble Bee Man from Channel Ocho.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think this is a perfect time to play in NYC. They only won 8 of their 17 home games last year. Vieira wants to play a possession style of playing out of the back, which is not easy in that small field. They've imported a lot of technical talent into the team in the offseason ... like Maximiliano Moralez, Alexander Ring, Alexander Callens and Miguel Camargo. But these are all players new to MLS. It'll be their first time at Yankee stadium, and on a cold uncomfortable weekend. Perfect time to take advantage of them before they gel and find their form.

I think the key is being defensively organized with no unforced errors. If we concede early it could get ugly because they tend to score in bunches. NYC is not a high press team, so having Franklin and De Leon in their new positions might be beneficial to keep more possession. On the other hand when they have the ball, the key is for Mullins, Sam and Nyarko to press them early. On the road we're not likely to commit numbers to the attack, but if we can force early turnovers, we can strike quickly in transition.

Winoman repped this.
  7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if the team practices on a restricted size field before games with NY? That bowling alley of a pitch is ridiculous.

Winoman repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Specifically designed for Pirlo so he doesn't have to run.

benni..., Winoman and song219 repped this.
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff's presumed lineup has Buescher replacing Acosta again and Sarvas still starting despite last week's poor play (and not just the weak PK).

10. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fool me once...

If he mails it in again, he needs to be benched. I'd rather see a 3rd-stringer get the minutes and experience.

atsegnorts repped this.
  11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say mailing it in, the game might just be beyond him at this point

he had some good games last year i'm willing to give him a couple more starts

benni..., roadkit and Winoman repped this.
  12. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, I thought Sarvas was losing it last year and hoped he would be a late game "lock down the win" sub this year. With all the central midfielders that DC has on the roster, I'm not sure I understand starting him, unless he provides "leadership" that Olsen feels is otherwise lacking.

13. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Just for what it's worth, the DC United website has a page this morning where you can see the game listed as being on WJLA in one part of it, and as being on NC8 in another part. Sheesh!

I phoned WJLA/NC8/Sinclair local yesterday and the nice lady checked around and told me that the DC United game Sunday at 2:00 is, indeed, on Newschannel 8. I'm going with that.

Eben and Winoman repped this.
  14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #14 Boloni86, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    I agree, but I think we can afford to give Sarvas another chance. First of all Vincent did nothing off the bench to be the option.

I suggest that next time that substitution opens up, give Harkes 20-30 minutes off the bench to show what he can do. Let's see him succeed in that role first before assuming he can start. If tomorrow by the 60th minute Sarvas is still struggling, slot Jeffrey back there and bring Harkes on to finish the game.

The other sub pattern I suggest is that if Büscher struggles again, we sub Ortiz in for him. I'd like to see Mullins and Ortiz together in that center channel in a more traditional 4-4-2 lineup with Ortiz sitting just underneath. Maybe not permanently, but just one of the tactical options available in situations where we need a goal. Especially while Acosta is injured. Mullins has an underrated touch and passing vision and it would help him to get another technical player close to him for interplaying.

Winoman and Hedbal repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the above. But Harkes is more of an attacking than a defending midfielder, so if Sarvas were to come off I would pull Jeffrey back to the DM position Sarvas now plays and slot Harkes ahead of him behind Mullins and maybe Ortiz.

Winoman repped this.
  16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think @Boloni86 suggested dropping Jeffrey back in his post. From everything I've heard and read, Olsen believes Harkes will eventually take over the "8" role that Jeffrey has now. Durkin is the long term plan to replace Sarvas with Vincent and Jeffrey as the two backups. We'll see as there is a long road from "prospect" to finished product. Remember how good Aguilar looked on Opening Day of his rookie year? Turned out that was the high point of his career here.

Real Mobile repped this.
  17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Does anyone know what channel news 8 is in Richmond VA?

I'm in a hotel with direct TV, but I can't find it.

18. Eben

Eben Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Fairfax, VA
    Your best bet is to find a local bar with direct kick.

benni... repped this.
  19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thanks. Will do!

20. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard DirecTV does not have NewsChannel 8 in HD. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, I'm going to try to find a bar that will show the game on Verizon FiOS or Comcast Infinity (the hoops we have to jump through to watch these games in 2016 blows my mind).

[EDIT: I confirmed this from another thread on this forum. Bummer.]

21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You already missed your chance. ;) Vamos!

Winoman repped this.
  22. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ack! I meant 2017.

Winoman repped this.
  23. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen just said "At some point it's going to become a soccer game."

What sort of idiotic statement is that, LOL.

24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Sarvas shaved his own head or if it is some sort of punishment for playing so poorly in the first match?