Pre-match: Manchester City Reserves v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the team made it to church today to thank Heaven for interceding so that they secured a point from a math in which they were outpossessed, outshot, and outplayed in every aspect of the game except goalkeeping and, perhaps, desperate defending.

I think Harkes should be on a short leash. I've never seen him take charge in a match, and he certainly didn't do it last night. He's too tentative. Jeffrey is, at least, a poor man's Canouse, and his replacing Acosta when defending was our only option made some sense.

nick and asitis repped this.
  2. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    No question that the pitch at Yankee Stadium is narrow, but I think the camera is also placed really far back, flattening the TV view. During the game I kept thinking that players were closer together than they were across the field's width. Until I realized that I kept wondering why players weren't contesting balls that seemed so close.

3. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I kept thinking, "why didn't he go for that ball; it was right there." I just assumed it was a part of the safety first, take no unnecessary risk approach.

asitis

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That may be true but the field there is still tiny, not necessarily rectangular, and the sod is simply laid on top of dirt. That's why it's so slippery. They were literally lifting it up and wheeling it off as we were leaving the stadium.

Winoman repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    How is it not necessarily a rectangle?

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    A few years back, the pitch was measured at RFK and it was a parallelogram, not a rectangle. There also was the playoff game in Toronto? where the grounds crew mismeasured the 18 yard box and the game had to be delayed while the pitch was remarked. Ground crews ******** up.

Whenever a soccer pitch is crammed into a multipurpose stadium or something worse like Yankee Stadium, the possibility of mismeasurement or lack of right angles increases because you have the classic square peg round hole problem.

sitruc, asitis, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rectangular peg in a quarter of a circle-ish shaped hole

dadman, asitis, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Neither supports the comment with fact although human error is always possible even in the days of laser range finding. . So fact or folklore?

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Goff reported on RFK and I saw the playoff that was televised from either Toronto or Montreal. If you don't believe me look it up yourself

sitruc, Heist and Winoman repped this.
  10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Calm down, take a breath, I wan't refuting your claim but the original claim concerning Yankee Stadium. The RFK measurement issue had been around from the Redskins days and added about 2 steps to the endline in one corner. It was a favored area for red zone passes and very well have been the cheat of the decade.

roadkit repped this.
  11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that game as well and remember them lining the 18 yd box. Canadians prolly did 18 meters or something.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  12. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was absolutely thinking we have gone back to the Hamid and Hope tactical approach. The Hope part is Rooney and Acosta up top to see if they can wing something.

13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is MLS for you It loses Spartan Stadium and gains Yankee Stadium.

dadman, Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  14. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    (Very) Old-school pyramid-building Egyptians would find this hysterical. They managed to align their edifices to within 0.000-effing-zero degrees off of perfectly north-south using nothing but string and camels' asses. Fast-forward 4000+ years and we couldn't draw a proper rectangle at RFK. I guess we should feel lucky we
    didn't draw a chalk line over a dead racoon's ass . .

15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah the examples of "ancient primitives" aligning buildings 100 miles distant with no discernible error is amazing. I worked with a very salty boat builder who said he'd have to hang a pig turd on a string from my nose so I'd know which way was straight down. I guess I should have been in construction I lack all the skills so I'm a perfect fit

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Ask DCU fans how they watched them play unwatchable soccer the last 2 seasons. The field doesn't have to be small if the team sucks enough

17. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Sorry I missed this; I have you on Ignore since your posts are nearly always dumb.

There was a lot of speculation around the league that the field wasn't rectangular. I recall an amusing Google Maps view from above that made it look very oblong but I don't know where that is now. I think Peter Vermes claimed they measured it and the lines weren't parallel.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I also remember from when the Nats were at RFK. The grass was mowed for them so it looked like a nice baseball outfield. But for soccer the lines were all slanted, and off-side calls were hit and miss.

Winoman, sitruc and fatbastard repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    We're you nursed with the nozzle from a douche bag or an enema bulb? I'd guess neither were of any use in your home.

20. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks for proving my point.

21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Bot
    For someone who's entire existance is clearly pointless you have no point to prove