Pre-match: Manchester City Reserves v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Sep 5, 2018.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who: New York City Football Club (despite playing soccer in a baseball stadium) v. D.C. United
    What: MLS match 26
    When: Saturday, September 8, 4:55 PM ET
    Where: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York
    Why: We still have 2 away games to play

Standings
    NYC: 48 Pts., +14, 3rd in East, 4th in MLS
    DCU: 30 Pts., -1, 7th in East, 15th in MLS

Form (Old to Recent)
    NYC: DWLDL
    DCU: WWLLW

International Absences
    NYC: Chanot, Ofori, Tajouri-Shradi, Wallace, Possible others considering the DCU list wasn't comprehensive
    DCU: Arriola, Kelly (MLS site lists him), Mattocks, Stieber, Miranda, Moreno

Suspended
    NYC: Unclear
    DCU: None

Injuries
    NYC: Unclear
    DCU: Fisher (not called up, may be available), Asad, Odoi-Atsem (training), NDL (training), Ousted, Kemp

Lineup? No clue. Could see an ultra narrow diamond...may make sense with how narrow their pitch is.

Hamid
    Robinson Opare Birnbaum Mora
    Durkin
    Canouse Harkes
    Segura
    Rooney Acosta

or to keep the shape

Hamid
    Robinson Opare Birnbaum Mora
    Durkin Canouse
    Segura Harkes Acosta
    Rooney

should be a mess regardless and maybe 3 guys on the bench.

GumbyG, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** 'em.

3. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe...

-----Rooney---Acosta-----
    ---Segura--------Harkes---
    ----Canouse--Durkin------
    Mora-Opare-Birn-JRob

No attackers off the bench. Maybe DeLeon wide as a sub option? But Rooney/Acosta need to go 90, no choice.
    Hopefully Asad can go.

4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    According to Emily Olsen, Kelly is not called up. That is one attacker on the bench. This will be a goat rodeo. However, the narrow, short field should play to Rooney's strength which is ball movement in tight spaces. It will be up to him, Acosta and Segura to find some goals in this game.

5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    So. Are we seriously going for a win? Settling for a tie? Saving our best for Wednesday night for a more likely 3 points?

Why Acosta and Rooney for a full 90?

6. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    Send Kelly in for Rooney when tired in second half. At least we go Bill, Wayne and Luchio

7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second this prediction.

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe next year I'll make it up to see soccer played in Yankee stadium, assuming we play there next year - can't go this weekend and I see no other reason to be inside the stadium, but I do have some curiosity about the place.

A chance for some of the bench guys to try to prove they belong in the rotation. That will either be fun or frustrating to watch ;)

Will we see nervous/spastic Harkes, or calm smooooth Harkes? I think that will be a big key to how this goes. Along with who will be where. We can guess at starters, there are only so many rostered uninjured players, but formation may be more difficult to figure out.
    It would be cool if Durkin and Harkes had the same kind of chemistry from training as Moreno and Canouse do so they can plug right in (assuming that's even where they'll play)

I'm gonna say

DCU -2
    powder-blue team: 2

I hate UniMas games, but luckily all the player names sound the same in most languages so even though their camera shots often seem miles away I should be able to figure out who's playing :)

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I hate most English language broadcasts. So there’s that.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Vytas should be available. I haven't seen him on the Latvia roster, but not sure if info is up to date.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #11 Q*bert Jones III, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Firstly, Yankee Stadium is an abomination. It's just terrible. It's awful for baseball and it's worse for soccer. I've no idea how they spent $1.5 billion on poured concrete. It's the worst stadium in the league by a long measure and the field itself is an unfunny joke. Mora needs to wear LONG cleats. I couldn't tell you the number of times a left back has come off the field this season to change their shoes but it's more than two.

Secondly, Manchester City USA is terrible. I have no idea how they got so high in the standings when they're trotting out players like Tinnerholm and Ring. Their new coach hasn't convinced me he has any concrete notion of what he wants to do, if anything. They looked listless against a Revolution B side last night. Even Villa looked eminently human last night as he sourly walked around the field drenched in sweat. As I said in another thread, if you told me that DC would face them in the playoffs I'd be delighted.

The only thing they have going for them right now is that their field is so tiny that it precludes decent soccer. Teams that like to counter on the break can't really do that since the distance from midfield to goal is only a few paces. And it's hard to play possession ball when there's alway a defender a few steps away. It's like human foosball.

dadman, ejs1111, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I doubt you ever will in that he's Lithuanian.

big spaniel, UnitedBorn and Winoman repped this.
  13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    There's a difference?

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worry more about saving people when it's Sun/Wed; less for Sat/Wed - for some reason.
    They should go 90(ish) in both, they're the team's leaders and there will be a semi-inexperienced roster around them.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Lithuania was once the largest state in Europe. Latvia wasn't.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I do know neither nation was drawn in our group at Russia 2018 so we have something in common.

UnitedBorn and Funkfoot repped this.
  17. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Good thing because their phone book must have been a bitch.

GumbyG repped this.
  18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Lots of very long names, like Andriuskevicius.

19. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One got hustled by Lavar Ball and one didnt :)

20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Concur. Thank God for Univision.

UnitedBorn repped this.
  21. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Goff reporting Vytas out 4 weeks w an injury from training. Defense just got even thinner.

Winoman repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

We sign free agent defender Ellis of Chicago

Winoman repped this.
  23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    So that means a guy trashed by Chicago is better than calling up the legendary Conor Shanowsky from Richmond? Isn't that why they park some players down there? And how much are they paying that trainer?

24. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did Chicago cut Ellis, a RB/CB who'd started all year and had 2 goals and 4 assists in 19 appearances? I mean, maybe he's a terrible defender, but he's played a lot of games for that to be true. He apparently had a conflict with Vermes at SKC that ended with him suspended and then traded. Any insights?

25. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I think we'll see:

---- Rooney
    Acosta - Harkes - Segura
    Durkin ---- Canouse
    Mora - Birnbaum - Opare - Robinson
    Hamid

We really needed 4 points last week. I didn't expect to get anything out of this game, but I hope now we can make up that point. We've only got 15 players,some who haven't played 90 in a while. Resting players for Wednesday might be a workable strategy if it was really a viable option. Since it isn't, I think we need to go for broke here, whatever that looks like, and let the chips fall where they may on Wednesday.