Man City vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Mar 19 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Mar 14, 2017.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You are free to deny this and keep on wondering why EPL clubs keep on failing in the CL year after year despite importing foreign coaches and vast financial superiority. It's neither a Pep nor a training problem.

2. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Water cooler discussion about this match this morning, we decided only Clyne from our XI would start in their XI. Mane, Coutinho, Firmino may make their bench.

As a matter of pedigree, ruh roh!

But the game isn't decided on pedigree. It's decide on performance. I think we can, and we will, snatch these points.

3. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who would start in favor of Mane?

4. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    City got to the semi final last season, most of the players they want goto Madrid, Bayern, Barca and PSG

Pray tell whats PSG's excuse?

And the finances stretch not as far in the EPL as they do abroad

5. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There was argument on this, depending on the formation. When Citeh attack as a 4-5-1, the Sterling/Sane flanks were preferred, although by most accounts I would rather have Mane than Sterling down the right. The argument was that if the backs are pushing up, Pep would prefer a more technical player like Silva over more speed like Mane.

6. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sane over Coutinho?

7. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Especially against us. Pure speed.

8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coutinho is a more technical player than Sane, isn't he? More goals, more assists. He's not exactly slow.

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Caballero
    Clyne Matip Otamendi Milner
    Hendo
    Gini
    DeBruyne
    Mane Coutinho
    Aguero​

Bench: Mings, Lovren , Silva, Fernandinho, Firmino, Sterling, Sane

Notably left out from Citeh: Bravo, Sagna, Zabaleta, Stones, Kolarov, Clichy, Otamendi, Toure, Navas, Kompany.

I can understand the arguments for Silva, Sterling, and Sane to start, but Cout is currently better than Silva or Sterling and Mane has shown more end product than Sane (though, to be fair, the kid has the potential to be one of the top players in the world).
    Citeh's squad is ANCIENT and full of holes - their youth in the attacking positions blew teams away early on, but as that enthusiasm has faded, so has their air of invincibility. They have 7 players with expiring contracts this summer - and they also have Silva/Fernandinho/Otamendi all at 30+. This is a team with a lot of warts that have been covered up by individual attacking brilliance.
    We have a couple holes in our squad to plug (LB, CB, a top quality 3rd wide attacking player, a 4th CM) but they are going to have to spend 150m to address the issues in their squad (both fullbacks and cover for those fullbacks, CB, 1-2 CM, 1-2 players as depth in the attacking positions).

RevsLiverpool and StiltonFC repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    big day, Sunday. 4 of the top 5 teams in action within a few hours.

Manure almost nailed on for 3 points (unless managerless Boro can do a Leicester on them but I can't see it happening).

let's hope the Arse blow it vs West Brom tomorrow.

11. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I should have had you guys at my water cooler.

poopoobigelow and Wingtips1 repped this.
  12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    very far-fetched scenario below. I mean - Manure winning the Europa? gimme a break ....

There is a nightmare scenario for the Reds in which they could finish fourth and end up in the Europa League next season. It’s unlikely but still possible nevertheless.

How? Well, under UEFA rules, the maximum number of teams any country can have playing in the Champions League is five.

Manchester United are the bookies’ favourites to win the Europa League and if they achieve that they are guaranteed the prize of a Champions League spot. If United finish outside the top four and lift the trophy, they would be the Premier League’s fifth representative.

If United finish inside the top four and lift the trophy, the Champions League place would not drop down to the fifth placed side.

Where it would get complicated is if Leicester City’s remarkable European fairytale takes them all the way to Cardiff on June 3. The Foxes are England’s sole representatives left in the Champions League after stunning Sevilla to reach the quarter-finals this week.

If Leicester were to win the Champions League – coupled with United winning the Europa League – then they would both qualify for next season’s competition at the expense of the Premier League’s fourth placed club. Improbable? Yes. Leicester are the 40/1 outsiders for European glory but then again they were 5000/1 shots for the Premier League title.....

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It would also mean English clubs are brilliant in Europe all of a sudden!

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fir...-firmino-origi-lovren-sturridge-and-henderson

15. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not allowed to gamble as a condition of my parole, but I would be willing to take bets and give odds that Leicester won't get past their next opponent.

The Foxes drew maybe the best possible side in Atletico, seeing as how they just vanquished Sevilla, who are above Atletico in the table.

The other teams in the quarters, with the exception of Dortmund are in the top 2 in their respective leagues.

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    right on, stilts.

17. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, Sam, it's Stilts...:)

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some good results for us this weekend but all that will be in vain if we don't get the all important one tomorrow.

CB-West, Wingtips1 and usscouse repped this.
  19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This!!!

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well excuuuuse me !

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all is forgiven :)

22. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So -BIG game tomorrow...I just hope we continue to outplay and beat the top teams...three points would be awesome!
    Looks like BS will be 'upgrading'...so we may not have the commentary, just win baby!

23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #48 Red Bird, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    What a wasteful bunch we are! At 1-0, Firmino had a great chance to make it 2-0. Then that Lallana miss-- only he knows how failed to score. Although Agüero for City was equally slovenly. I must say, against tired legs I was disappointed by Origi.

Feels like 2 points dropped and then 1 point gained. Mad game.

24. OhYouBeauty

OhYouBeauty Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yaya not being sent off for that "tackle" on Can has to be the travesty of the season.

25. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the 2 missed PK's in the first half. Still, that's a well taken point.