Man City vs Arsenal (EPL) 5 Nov 2017

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Nov 3, 2017.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right you are! My bad.

In the web interface, apparently it blanks out the post that you quoted, if that person's on your ignore list. I thought it didn't used to work that way, I thought it said something like "click to reveal ignored content". But maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I'm confusing it with Tapatalk, which I also use.

And yes I do have 1 person still on my ignore list. And now you all know that! :eek:

I've only ever blocked 2 users in the 11 years I've been on BigSoccer. 5-6 years ago I unblocked the first one, and to my pleasant surprise that person had become a bit more civilized over time, i.e. tolerable. So maybe I should do that again for the second person and see if I have similar results. ;)

@mebeSajid obviously thinks I should!

mebeSajid repped this.
  2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The 2-1 defeat to Sperz was awful, as was the 5-1 at the Allianz, but:

1. iirc Gabriel got sent off against Chelsea (and it was 0-0 till Costa's shithousery)
    2. He didn't play in the 1-1 against Sperz - got injured a week before (and we really should have won that convincingly)
    3. We absolutely dominated that Monaco game and got beaten by a fluky deflection and two bad counterattacking chances.

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's the thing - it really doesn't. It's just a bandaid to protect against the counterattack because we don't have a coherent structure in midfield.

The Jitty Slitter and daedalus repped this.
  4. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think no matter what, Alexis would be an upgrade over Rahim Sterling. Tht would be the only reason Pep would want him. He is not really a City/Barcelona type passer of the ball.

5. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the City game yesterday, I personally do not give a faak about whether Ozil and Sanchez stay or go.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He played in this match and got subbed at halftime and Spurs were the better side until Ozil took over.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/34691295

mebeSajid repped this.
  7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My mistake. I guess when you see the same script again and again, the seasons all start to feel the same.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  8. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granit is limited athletically ? How so?
    He has as much athleticism as xabi Alonso who has done “ok”

Xhaka makes stupid decisions but his athleticism in holding role is just fine

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Xabi was a much better athlete than Xhaka at the same age.

Xhaka does make stupid decisions but he is not helped by Wenger's formation.

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Xhaka’s great when he has time on the ball (usually).

He’s not quick enough to deal with pressure, and I’ve seen boats turn faster.

Speaking of turning, what sorcery does Iwobi use to turn the way he does? It’s like he magically creates three yards of space quickly.

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think that's what he meant by "help". it covers up (some of) the flaws in our midfield because we have limited players there being played . . . wrongly.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - because the 6+8 are poor in defensive transition

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well yeah. As we know with 4 at the back, Wenger frequently has both FBs high and the 8 out of position, whereas other teams might play with one FB as an extra CB or with FBs pinching into midfield like Guardiola to control the key zone

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    if we had a better manager, Iwobi could be the central midfielder we have been crying for, imo.

daedalus repped this.
  15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    927568334123667457 is not a valid tweet id

This would be a great chart for a 50m midfielder, but not so much a striker. Need to get Lacazette to shoot more somehow. Not sure if that means more/better wide play, or something else.

16. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our strikers do not get enough space and service t shoot or head regularly. We are too content to try and play little 1-2s around the box to penetrate or counter at speed. Our counters are not usually very successful.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Team is under performing xG

Maybe Laca just isn't very good

18. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Eye test says its body position, and facing when receiving the ball in the midfield that is the issue. Laca to me usually is making the right move and the right choice ignore technical errors. I can't fault Laca so far.

When we are in the right position its like we are not in position at all, its very frustrating to watch. Its why we have been so slow on transition. Instead of 1 pass, we pass forward, wall pass back, the player turns and moves and then receives the same pass he received 1 pass before just in a Better body position.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats not Lacazette's problem.

He generally does not shoot enough and has been his problem going back to Lyon.

Tonerl and mebeSajid repped this.
  20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He fits perfectly!

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    DaPrince84 repped this.
  22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    its not a controversial statement to say Ramsey is a better footballer than Dele Alli.

In the past, Alli was able to score goals to make up for it. Both are shit finishers though.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's a big gulf. Aaron's having a pretty good season so far, and apparently Dele is having a bit of a stinker. I wasn't fully aware of the latter.

So, this makes me wonder how Ramsey stacks up against the league leaders, like KdB or Silva... I'm guessing not quite so well. ;)

But good on AR8 for turning things around, by and large, compared to 2 seasons ago, when he was relatively stinking it up.

24. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alli and Ramsey don't play the same positions though. Alli usually plays in front of a midfield 2 and Ramsey as part of a midfield 2.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is true. But Ramsey's doing better than Alli in every statistical category bar key passes (and Ramsey's still created more "big" chances).

Haven't seen enough of Sperz this season to properly compare the two, but Ramsey's been very good this season (other than the Liverpool game).