Making A Murderer (Netflix Original Documentary)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Sal, Jan 1, 2016.

1. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Don't know about Steve in that second case but that boy.. wow, incredible. he just was scary and unsecure child.. he was terrified, he would have said yes to anything, its so obvious.. and when two well train officers creating their own story, he just said yes cause he just wanted go home. i bet me could do the same wiith that boy, cause he was just unsecure scary young man, and we are talking about two well trained police officers, If i;m correct, they didn't found a single proof of him being in that bedroom or else, right? not a single fingerprint, blood or else. and still guilty..

Sal repped this.
  2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching that series got me to download the Serial podcast. It's pretty fascinating, I'm only halfway through the first season, but it's another one of those cases where it's a wonder how they found someone guilty.

3. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Check out The Jinx on HBO if you enjoyed this and haven't seen it already. It's 6 episodes 40-50 minutes a piece.

comme and Dante repped this.
  4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the first season of Serial is/was awesome. Second one is, so far, still good, but has nothing to do with a murder case (see Bergdahl, Bowe).
    Heard Jinx is pretty damn good, and is in my queue for after MaM.

5. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The ending was wild.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Just finished watching this.

An absolutely terrifying insight into the American criminal justice system. In Britain we have pretty strict laws about commenting on live cases in the media in order to ensure that people can get a fair trial. The idea of the prosecutor giving a press conference with salacious details in it to be reported nationwide on the news is completely insane. Also the way in which there seemed to be press conferences every day from both sides was terrible.

This programme made me quite sad really to see a slow-witted boy go to prison for the majority of his adult life for something he clearly didn't commit. On Avery I'm not entirely sure but there were definite grounds for a retrial there and there looked to be obvious malpractice from the police.

Overall, it was an excellent piece of television but a very sad one.

Sal repped this.
  7. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I'm of the opinion that Avery did it and Brendan saw something, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. There are some parts of Avery's life and the trial that were left out of the documentary that make me think this way.

This doesn't mean that the justice system wasn't absolutely deplorable throughout both cases of course.

8. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My girlfriend is visiting and loves true crime docs like Making of a Murder, Rough Justice, Paradise Lost, The Jinx anything Nick Broomfield. We need to find some new ones, any one have many recommendations? I'm not watching another Orca doc, I refuse.

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I preferred The Jinx, I felt MoaM dragged a bit. Plus it was less of a downer, not a good reason I know.

Sal repped this.
  10. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I liked that MoM had a lot of details in it. What made the Jinx was the ending.

11. bacon06

bacon06 Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in the county where this all took place and am appalled at this so called documentary and what it has done to our reputation. Avery is guilty and in no way do I ever want him back in free society.

A reporter who covered the case put out a podcast series rebutting each episode, laying out the evidence the video series did not present. This guy is not some schlub either, he earned a law degree.

http://www.newstalk1130.com/onair/common-sense-central-37717/rebutting-a-murderer-14280387/

12. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Hmm. Interesting.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Avery's first false conviction was enough to tarnish the county's reputation.

The Potter and Sal repped this.
  14. bacon06

bacon06 Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The false rape conviction was more of a product of the times with DNA evidence not readily available in the 1980's. They had to rely on the victim identifying her assaulter, which is unreliable and why they use forensic evidence. Avery resembled the guy who did it, it occurred near where he lived, and he had a history of violence against women. It was plausible it was him.

And that mistake wasn't embellished and broadcast internationally.

15. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if you think blogs are like court documents.

Sal repped this.
  16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the Manitowic city police felt that Avery was innocent and they had the wrong guy. The Sherriff's didn't care because they had an agenda against the guy.

Sal repped this.
  17. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Finally saw this. The legal system really failed these two. So much contrast with Jinx. You put them together and you get a nice clear picture of justice in our world.

As for this show, I really don't believe for a second that two guys with the intelligence of Forrest Gump did what the prosecution accused them of and managed to completely clean it up to the point where not a single trace of her blood or DNA was found. I ca not believe that. Especially considering he lived in a home that looks like an episode of hoarders. Nor can I believe that they somehow managed to clean all that blood and DNA up, but left the car lying in the lot when they had a crusher right there to be used.

The show might have left some evidence out, but I think it is very clear these people did not get anything that in anyway resembles a fair trail. There is just too many coincidences. The cops, who are supposed to not be involved in the investigation, who are always the ones to turn up new evidence. It's a farce.

Shame on them, shame on anyone that defends them.

Poor kid just wanted to go home and watch Wrestlemania. :(

Sal repped this.
  18. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    The ending was like something out of curb your enthusiasm.

Sal repped this.
  19. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Agree 100%. They convict Avery using Brendan's confession that they tied her up to the bed, slit her throat (she doesn't die btw) and then they bring her outside and shoot her in the head. Then there's no blood anywhere in his house. They search the house 7 times with police supervision and then on the 8th when Colburn and Lenk are at his house unsupervised they "find" the keys in his slippers. Then the entire trial Colburn looks like a frightened little girl but when he talks about finding the keys he says "I was very rough with it, twisting and turning it" so confidently. The DA clearly coached him up on that one part. And another coincidence is the girls find the car in 20-30 minutes of searching out of 4000 cars in the lot. And yes the Wrestlemaina part was sad. He was also worried about submitting his project due 6th hour :( but couldn't because they were coercing a confession out of him and he didn't even realize.

DDR repped this.
  20. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The ending was crazy. He's now getting tried for those comments. He really Jinxed himself there.

21. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That bit was heartbreaking.

DDR repped this.
  22. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    http://loaded.co.uk/watch-fbi-cold-case-worker-believes-he-knows-who-killed-teresa-halbach/
    Cameron links Edwards to Halbach by the following:

• Several of Edward Wayne Edwards’ past victims were murdered on Halloween night. Teresa Halbach disappeared on Halloween night.
    • Edwards had killed in Wisconsin before: in 1980, Edwards mudered Timothy Hack and Kelly Drew in what were later dubbed the Sweetheart Slayings.
    • Edwards was living about an hour away from Steven Avery at the time of the murder.
    [​IMG]

23. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I like the ex-boyfriend for it. Went into her voicemail possibly deleting messages. Sent the two who found the car off to search that area and happened to give them and only them a camera.

24. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I was thinking either him or those 2 who went Hunting(Brendan's brother + ?) and had alibis for only each other. The ex boyfriend was the one who deleted some certain cell phone voicemails right?

25. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah, I edited my post after you replied. He deleted messages from her voicemail which he hacked. Along with other shady things mentioned.