Alex Mendez @ FC Vizela

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 13, 2018.

1. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    The real money comes later. To sacrifice your career growth at 20-21 to make an extra 150-200,000 Euros is not smart long term strategy.

The problem with Mendez: he hasn't proven anything yet in the Eerste Divisive. If he was "stuck" between JA/A1 like other Ajax players, he could go to somewhere like Heereveen. He hasn't even proved he can play at that mid-level Eredivisie side. That's what concerns me the most.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I don't think you can have it both ways, though. If Mendez is a fraud, he should cash in on his swindle and make Ajax pay. If he's not a fraud, he should continue developing at Ajax and leave only if the right opportunity presents itself.

3. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Continuing to train with Ajax and play a handful of Eerste Divisive minutes playing out his contract would make him 21 without ever sniffing a first team. That's not exactly a recipe for success.

I don't think anyone knows his level. He's 19 and the only thing that is clear is he isn't a CL-level player. But he also hasn't really established he's even an MLS level player. He could be anywhere in between. I think he's Lee Nguyen in a lot of ways down to how to where they started abroad. That's not the worst thing in the world. But I think Lee's career would have been different if he started playing real first-team football before he was 25.

WheezingUSASupport and TimB4Last repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Those 4 years of being an equivalent of a movie star might have been the best years of Lee's life. Doubt that Alex has a similar choice.

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    whats the upside if lee had done as you suggest?

6. Are we talking about Lee Ngyuen of PSV?

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    yea

8. Lee was unlucky that in his time we hadnot Young teams playing in our second tier. So he effectively had no chance to develop like for instance Ledezma now has.

9. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I am curious what Nguyen's upside was. I remember him at Copa America 2007 looking like he was playing in molasses. He was always really limited athletically (like Mendez) but sharp technically. He probably hit his level but it came so late when he was 27-28 in MLS that it was limited/too late to go abroad. If you hit that peak at a younger age, you have chances to move up the ladder competition wise.

DHC1 repped this.
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    perhaps but I don’t think his level was much above high MLS, if at all, particularly due to athleticism concerns.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If all else fails, there's always MLS, but first, let's play the hand we've been dealt, as it might still prove to be a winning hand.

Summer 2019. Sign with Ajax. Get paid. Try not to laugh (publicly) at other young players who are stuck in MLS and/or making chump change elsewhere.

Fall 2019. Settle in. Get in shape (for crying out loud). Play a half or two, learn the system. Help persuade Dest to stick with the USA.

Winter 2020. Vacation in Spain, not Qatar, and convince Dest to beat-feet it out of Qatar before anything (worse than supporting the bribing Qataris) happens. Stir up Ajax transfer rumors, try to get Ajax to move product, clearing space for the elite Jong midfielders that are keeping you on the bench to be promoted to the first team.

Spring 2020. Continue playing for Jong Ajax, increasing minutes until playing entire matches. Take advantage of the absence of newly-promoted players. Convince younger teammates that Jong Ajax isn't where they should be right now, that they should ask their agents to seek transfers to teams that offer lower salaries but first team minutes.

To be continued ...

12. Each player is different and each player has a different pace adjusting to Dutch style of play.

UniversalAdvice and USSoccerNova repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    first time i noticed mendez was when he took a corner kick. most ungood. this winger experiment seems useless

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    What's 'ungood' for Mendez may be good for Gloster.

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    on this i shall ruminate

17. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    He's getting the start mostly because of all the players who trained with the first team.

Early they were playing him more as a deeper CM. Now they've moved him to the wings. He's not going to win enough balls to play CM for Ajax so I think they think with an incredible left foot, let's put him wide with less defensive responsibilities and maybe he can cut in/make plays. Wingers at Ajax are better when they can pass/shoot vs. dribble. Attacking wise he can have Ziyech-LITE skill too.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Gloster subbed out at 65' - will Mendez now run wild?

19. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    And some just aren’t good enough.

Thundering165 repped this.
  20. indeed and time will tell.

uniteo repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It's encouraging to see that Mendez believes he's in a good place and that he hasn't given up on himself.

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
  24. VI rating of YPSV 0-0 YAjax:
    Dest 6.5
    Mendez 5
    Gloster 5

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts for Jong Ajax:

WheezingUSASupport, TxEx and Pl@ymaker repped this.