Alex Mendez @ FC Vizela

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 13, 2018.

1. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a youth player, Ajax must certainly be an offer you can't refuse. It's a horse head in your bed. In making the choice, you cannot be wrong as a young player in going there. Their track record is proven and it's a great place at a) develop and showcase your talent and b) hone the winning mentality they have as their league's preeminent club. If he washes out and signs at 20/21 with a lesser Dutch team it's a success imo. If he washes out and signs somewhere else first team it's a success. If he just keeps his head above water there and at 22/23 makes little to no impact and runs out his contract/gets sold for peanuts it's a failure. If he does eventually crack the first team it's a huge success. Ojalá

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This is similar to a lot of YA threads. Mendez joined Ajax on July 30th. He wasnt in the squad for for next game which was less than 10 days after he joined the club. Since then he has played in 10 of the 13 games they have had. He was on the bench for 2 and not in the squad 1 (this was game on 10/18 after being in u23 camp until 10/15).

Of those 10 games he has averaged 35 mins a game with minutes spread pretty evenly between roughly 10 min cameo, 30 mins off bench, 45 min either first or second half, and 60+ mins from the start. He has played CM, AM, LW, and RW.

People seem to expect players to just walk into clubs and dominate. The player I can think of who has done that is Tyler Adam's. Mendez moved to a new country and is trying to learn and adapt to a new system. I dont see why people feel compelled to come to a conclusion after a couple of months. A month ago there were saying that Pulisics move was stupid and season was lost. Smh!

I have no idea how this will turn out. I wont even start to try to guess until they get a good ways into the second half of the season. I am definitely not worried about the kids development. It isnt about pixie dust, but about being in a decent club for developing players, an incredibly competitive environment, and playing competitive games against young or men at very high technical and tactical level.

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Stays on the bench today, resting up for Monday's game v Helmond Sport.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    again, this does not seem the trajectory of a kid getting close to the first team any time soon

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. We have a ton of players heading to Euro and I am generally a big fan of it... but lack of playing time is a legit issue. He could be getting ready to try and start for the Galaxy... and considering GB's relative bias towards the MLS, it can be argued that that is a better path to the senior squad. Just like Richie, this kid looks to be a ways off.

7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I think that's a fair assessment. Mendez does not look to be close to the first team at all. First you'd have to see him excelling at the Jong level which he has not done as of yet.

wynaldaisagod repped this.
  8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    and on a much better team with far more talent surrounding him than say ledezma

9. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    You can spin the numbers but when he does start, he's pulled at half as often as he goes 60 min. He hasn't played more than 70 minutes in a match (and that was the Jong PSV match where Ajax was basically out of players). When JA has their full roster, he barely plays. All are bad signs.

No one is asking him to dominate... they're asking him to beat out guys like Eiting/Ekklenkamp who are fringe Ajax first team guys. Just play consistently. There is no comparison to Pulisic because well CP has performed at the first team level.

I think myself (and others) aren't encouraged at all because we've seen this show before. Promising USYNT goes to big club, never plays first team minutes then comes back to MLS at 22-23 back at square 1 essentially. Mendez is 19 and hasn't even come close to a first team bench yet. His career isn't over but it's certainly not trending in the right direction.

10. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Agree with this all except Richie is way further along and I don't think that far off. He's made a first team bench. He's played 90 minutes almost every time he's been available.

Most important for him, the barrier of entry for PSV is way lower than Ajax. They're also not buying as many players as Ajax is (and making competition that much harder). Ledezma's proven enough for Jong PSV that next year if PSV doesn't think he's good enough there, he will get first team minutes somewhere else in the Eredivisie. Mendez jus hasn't done that yet which is what concerns me most. Personally, I just think he's a level above Mendez as a player too.

I'm a fan of go to Europe too-- but under the right circumstances.

don Lamb and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Who are these players who have been injured by going to Europe that would have been better off never leaving thebUS?

12. That's asking alot I've to say. Those arenot runofthemill youngsters.

13. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    With the current set up of Ajax, Eiting/Ekklenkamp are on the fringes of the first team. As you've said before, with the infusion of foreign players making it to the Ajax first team is incredibly more difficult than it was say in 2016. Look at the team that started that year... would even 1 start for Ajax now? Davinson (and he was pretty far off at the start of that season) and that's it. Mendez might be 2-3 years too late getting to Ajax.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Need I say more? ;)

Hope he plays more than a half. :whistling:

sXeWesley, Pl@ymaker and Gacm32 repped this.
  16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    he’s gotta start shining

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a while since he scored from a setpiece. That is normally what he does best but hasn't done it for Jong Ajax yet.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    after being off at the u20 world cup too

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Mendez remains on the field to start the second half. :thumbsup:

Note that Jong Ajax made two midfield substitutions at halftime, so today may be the day when we go the distance.

Pl@ymaker and dougtee repped this.
  20. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    ESPN shows he was subbed at the half...

Thundering165 and TimB4Last repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Yeah, my source just changed. It had showed Ekkelenkamp (on a yellow) and Timber subbed off - now it shows Mendez and Timber off.

22. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Mendez wore #8... got a start in MF because Eiting/Gravenbersch are with full Ajax at Lille for CL.

Pulled at half (again).

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #423 TimB4Last, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Now Ekkelenkamp scores, just to rub my nose in it. 1-1 @ 65'.

And the game finishes 1-1 ...

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Has anyone even done an every touch video for him yet?

Gacm32 repped this.
  25. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

PalmettoSpur, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.