Alex Mendez @ FC Vizela

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Pynadath is probably with the U19’s for the UCL Youth league game

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets the U-23 call up from the USA.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    But first, there's another Jong Ajax game to be played, today v Den Bosch @ 2:00 (EST).

[Then there's a two-week break, play resuming Friday 11/22 @ NAC.]

TxEx, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Nice, letting him rest up for some U-23 action - much appreciated!

6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    starting to get some serious bad vibes about mendezs stay at ajax

7. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to get too worried until after the winter break. Hopefully he can use that time to impress in training and make a case for himself. He didn't have any preseason with Ajax and has been gone at USA U-23 camps, which can disrupt his rhythm at the club.

I'd be content if he was able to become established at Jong Ajax over winter break and in the spring and use that to build into the Ajax summer preseason in 2020 (although he'll probably be at the Olympics).

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Mendez did not play today in a 5-1 victory that was 4-0 by 60'.

International break here we come ...

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    He hasn't really missed much time at all for camps while he's been with Jong Ajax. He just isn't considered one of the best XI players for Jong Ajax. Ajax has no issue playing whomever and always plays the best talent and is the best development club in the world. What we've seen for the last several months is that they don't really rate Mendez very highly, and he hasn't produced when he's been on the pitch for them.

Tom Collingsworth and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunate... but likely true.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    But still quite possibly not true. If we accept NYC's claim that Ajax is the best in the business, then I think we have to give Ajax (and therefore Mendez) some time to work their magic. Ajax didn't take a flier on a 13-year-old Mendez, they knew what they were getting. It's still too early to call, imo.

zlebmada and uniteo repped this.
  12. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't they also paying him several times more because he's non-EU?

NoHammiesAltidore repped this.
  13. #388 feyenoordsoccerfan, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Mendez rating VI: 5
    upload_2019-11-9_16-35-50.png
    upload_2019-11-9_16-36-40.png
    upload_2019-11-9_16-37-28.png
    upload_2019-11-9_16-38-4.png

Attached Files:

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  14. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    It's too early to call it for sure-- but I've never thought he was close to the level you need to be to play for Ajax. The level of an Ajax player is so high currently (and WAY higher than it was 2-3 years ago) that I don't think he has a chance to ever be a regular there.

There is a misnomer that Ajax just plays their youth players: maybe it was that way 3+ seasons ago, but of late they have bought so many players that they'll only play the ELITE youth players.

At 19 he can't even play regularly for Jong Ajax. Ekklenkamp, Eiting and Gravenbersch are simply a level ahead of him. Taylor probably too (and guys I've never heard of who are coming up the ranks). When he does start, he's normally subbed at half. IMO he can't press/defend like you need to at Ajax.

It's quite common for Ajax to sign/buy players elsewhere and they flop. They don't have magic pixie dust that people seem to think they do. The good news for Mendez that I've said a few times: if he isn't good enough they will move on quick. At this point, I'd put the odds he's still at Ajax in 2021 at slim to none. I just hope he gets somewhere where he can get 1st Team minutes.

15. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I read that a few places and I'm not sure that is true. I don't think he signed a contract with Ajax technically. I think he signed a contract with Jong Ajax which would mean he's not subject to that Eredivisie rule. He wasn't given a squad number either.

I could be wrong but I don't think he is getting the foreign player salary because he's not an Eredivisie player.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #392 TimB4Last, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Too many points to address in too little time, but it's clear we come at this from different perspectives. For me, Ajax is a development vehicle for our young players.

Which club gives our players the maximum opportunity to reach their full potential? If the answer is Ajax, that's where I want to place them.

All that you've said could be true - that Mendez will never be a regular at (full) Ajax; that he's not able to compete now with the likes of (elite talents) Ekklenkamp, Eiting and Gravenbersch; that he's getting subbed off early, that he's not able to press/defend at the level Ajax requires; that he won't even be at Ajax in 2021 - and his time at Ajax might still be a great investment, if he develops (to the maximum extent possible).

bsky22 and DHC1 repped this.
  17. Nope, the rule is for every player from outside the EU getting a contract with a Dutch pro club. The only difference maker for the pay is the age. The highest minimum pay has to be payed the moment a player becomes 20 yo.

Sufjan Guzan and BostonRed repped this.
  18. In support to @wynaldaisagod the best place isnot Ajax as they only shift up the cream to the first team.
    Anyway, Ajax gets the magic pixel dust fairy tale abroad because foreigners tend to look at things from an uninformed/copy paste info attitude.
    All Eredivisieclubs and most second tier clubs academies are of outstanding quality. Sparta Rotterdam while being in our second tier delivered several Orange players. Players that are being counted as Ajax developed players by foreigners arenot at all. Just yesterday in the Orange match several players from the Willem II academy were present, including Frenkie de Jong.
    AZ is at the moment the best place for youngsters to get into the academy. They're at least as good as Ajax (I consider AZ to be the best), but the track towards the first team is considerably better as AZ Alkmaar hasnot got the money to buy elite players like Ajax has. So at Ajax your competition as a youth player isnot just your fellow academy player or the Ajax first team player, but also the whole market of players like you Ajax can afford and must consider in relation to the need to do well in the CL.
    That kind of competition is absent at AZ and that lead to two of their young academy players to debut into the Orange team last evening. Stengs and Boadu wouldnot be playing in Ajax first team last season and this one, given the competition and thus wouldnot be able to rise to their current level without first team play they did get at AZ.
    The best academy to go to in the Netherlands is the academy with big chances given to go through to the first team and that are all academies except Ajax.

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I know you guys are still sore about Dest, but you'll get over it. I will also note that it's likely that Mendez's greatest contribution (ever) to the success of the USMNT may well be whatever part he played - large or small - in keeping Dest in the fold.

This is the Mendez at Ajax thread. It's informative but not relevant to know that he would be getting more playing time at other Dutch clubs. It's informative but not relevant to know that Ajax is actually (laughably) the worst place for his development, because he won't get first-team minutes there. Those other, superior teams weren't in the market for Mendez, those teams weren't options for Mendez.

The first duty of a professional player is to get paid, and Mendez is getting paid. The second duty is to go as far as one's talent, effort and ambition will allow, and at the end of the day (barring injury) that's extremely likely for Mendez, even if he only lasts for a year at Ajax.

Mendez is in a great spot, and even his 'failure' there won't change that.

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Great post. Does training at Ajax make Mendez a better player? I think it's almost certainly yes but there are diminishing returns to getting passed over (if it happens). If he isn't good enough (and we don't know that yet), the real question is when should he leave? I think that Green waited too long as did Lletget but both turned out just fine.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    A few points:

-- Totally short sighted to say the first duty is to get paid. The real money comes when you hit your mid 20s. I don't think taking a pay day at 18-19 to exchange for development is smart at all. Development at that age should come first and then the pay days will happen.

-- How many Americans need to fail at big clubs before this "it's best to train at big club vs. play first team minutes at a smaller club" myth is dispelled? Mendez hasn't even trained with the first team yet. It's clear Ajax don't really value him much. If at 19 you aren't even sniffing the bench (and can't start at JA consistently), you aren't going to make it there. But based on his salary at Freiberg, I'm sure the transfer fee was basically zero. They took a flier on him and he's just not good enough.

-- I think it is good that he challenged himself at Ajax. But what is more important is what he does next: which should be get out and get somewhere where he can play. Again this dude is 19 and hasn't even come close to making a first team bench. That is not good. Look at any decent player in the world, most are playing first team minutes by this point.

One other option is to extend the deal one year then get loaned out. But when Ajax loans a player, it usually means they're getting rid of them.

Similar situation: but I think also clear as day Ledesma is just another level from Mendez. That dude is legit and I think will play for PSV a lot next year. He's good enough for this level. Mendez is not. I just hope psycho Kleiben advises him correctly and doesn't force it to work at Ajax to make a point.

22. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    He’s in a great spot if he was good enough. I liked the signing for him, either he’d be good enough to progress to first team or find out pretty quickly he’s not. It’s the latter and I don’t think it’s too early to call that either. There are folks asking for him to be called up to the full USMNT which is so beyond obtuse and ridiculous that it’s almost laughable.

Tom Collingsworth and wynaldaisagod repped this.
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well, don't let the obtuse and ridiculous opinions of others confuse the issue. We're not talking about how close Mendez is to the MNT (not very close, I would guess).

Let's all agree that Mendez at this point is not good enough for the Ajax first team. That doesn't mean Ajax is a bad place to be. He's getting paid, and he's getting his feet on the ground. There are many other clubs that can provide a safe landing if Ajax doesn't work out.

24. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    You're 100% right. I just hope whatever next move he does is a) next year and b) the right place. It's dangerous to be 19 and not have even gotten to a first team bench THEN going to your 4th club in 4 years. The U23 Qualifiers/Olympics are going to be pivotal for him.

The problem he is going to have is he hasn't proven himself good enough to play for Jong Ajax/Ereste Divisie. He's not going to be very attractive to the good 2nd tier Eredivisie sides. Even the mid-tier ones usually only take guys from Ajax who have "mastered" Jong Ajax but aren't good enough to play for the First Team.

nycfc919 repped this.