Alex Mendez @ FC Vizela

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 13, 2018.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He hasnt been at the club for three months yet. He has played in 8 of their 11 games with two as starts. He wasnt in the squad for the first game after he signed and more recently in the game after the international break. He was an unused sub in the third game. Why would you expect someone to start right away when you have stated how good the club is? I would think it would take some time for him to break through.

He isnt an athletic beast but he is more than athletic enough to play at a high level. Sure, ee needs to work on his defense, it isnt like it is nonexistent. He got beat at times in this game but he also was able to recover on some plays. He wouldnt be able to do that he was unathletic as people here are making him out to be.

justinkicks and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Cardio would seem like an easy thing to improve for guy who works as hard as this kid.

3. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    The athleticism is a secondary issue. There are plenty of less athletic central mids in the game. The inconsistency in the buildup is a bigger concern. At this high level, killing attacks because you took an ill advised shot or muffed a simple pass is just unacceptable. Taking multiple free kicks and not getting them on frame is unacceptable.

I think Mendez would be better if he would drop deeper, where his ability to switch the point of attack has more value. Of course, that would mean becoming more skilled as a defender. I don't think he's a bad player, but I think trying to break into Ajax (even Jong Ajax) is an overreach for his current skill level.

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    When did he kill attacks, muff passes, and take a bunch of free kicks off frame?

He, like all 19 year olds, has things to work on his game. I am sure he getting feedback and help with those things. I would assume he is playing how his coaches want him to so dropping deeper isnt really an option. This may be an over reach but probably best for his development if he can keep is confidence.

Gacm32 and justinkicks repped this.
  5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    he definitely was off on his free kicks after previously being lethal with them during the world cup, but that seemed more like a cold streak blip since he had demonstrated how good he was at them for years before

6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    also that narrative maybe changes if the ukraine keeper wasnt so damn good

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    how does his athleticism compare to Carleton?

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    His free kicks were way off against Qatar. They were so bad that it almost seemed on purpose. I cant recall another game before or after where he wasnt incredibly dangerous.

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m confusing Mendez with other u20 players so I’ll go off of what’s been written.

If he’s a player who has some very good attributes but also some serious holes, he absolutely will gain by going to an elite program. He won’t be able to skate by without a fully fleshed out toolkit like he may be able to in the minor leagues.

Here’s a comment about Ben Simmons and his jump shot development from espn:

David Patrick is the head coach at UC Riverside and served as an assistant at LSU during Simmons' lone collegiate season. He also happens to be Simmons' godfather.

"When you're a young kid and you can run faster and jump higher than everybody, you're going to keep doing that until you get stopped, you know?" Patrick said. "That's kind of where he's at in his headspace."

uniteo repped this.
  10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    They both are neither strong or fast, Carleton has much better stamina.

DHC1 repped this.
  11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the American Riquelme only not as good and 15 years too late

12. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Jong Ajax has played deeper. I think that’s the best place for him. I agree with your assessment: he is not a bad player but just no where close to Ajax level. He should ask for a loan to a lesser Eredivisie side. I do not think he is good enough to play at a place like AZ but I probably rate him lower than almost all US fans.

The big question will insane Kleiben stop comparing him to Iniesta and realize he isn’t good enough to play there? Or will he continue the charade and end up with a 20-21 year old who has never even come close to making a first squad bench? The guy needs to play more ASAP

13. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Have you watched the jong Ajax games he has played in? Just curious

14. Unfortunately ten Hag has set the bar for Young Ajax a bit high this season. He demands them to be CL quality to be considered for the first team. I think it's too high a bar.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  15. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Yeah I think he should consider playing Eiting instead of Alvarez. At the start of last season, he looked like he was going to break out. A tremendous passer and great read of the game. Just, like Mendez, not very big or fast. I wonder if the fact he's still with Jong means he's done with the club.

Once (if?) Eiting, Ekklenkamp and Gravenbersh theoretically Mendez should get a shot. But again Kenneth Taylor is better than him and at Ajax once a spot is open it is not given. There are so many young talents that there is another guy in the wings read.

16. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Mendez is wearing the number 7, suggesting a move out to the wing.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You have to admire a team that tips its hand like that.

The Irish Rover, Scotty and chad repped this.
  20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Both Jong Ajax and Jong PSV seem to be very traditional in their numbering. Soccerway has Alex on the right wing. Since he's a lefty, it would seem to indicate that he's inverted and cutting inside more often than not.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He came off at halftime.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    mendez as a winger would have to be more of a playmaking type of winger? he really doesnt have the speed for the traditional role, does he?

gogorath repped this.
  23. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    2nd time I believe he's started and been subbed at half.

Ajax uses Ziyech as a RW. He's got some winger skills but is more of a traditional 10. I'd say Mendez has a similar skillset to Ziyech-- one major differences are Ziyech is an incredible presser who runs the entire match. He has as good of fitness as I've seen.

24. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I heard some discussion of the Ajax system on Sirus FC more regarding Dest's cramps at the end of the Chelsea game. Tony Dunseth(sp)(I think) discussed the strain on the endurance needed to press all the time in the system. Maybe Mendez is not there yet endurance wise?

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts on the road against Volendam @ 2 EST. Incidentally, Pynadath is not in the squad.

Pl@ymaker repped this.