Major League Soccer's Original Sin: 1994-1996

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by USRufnex, Jun 19, 2009.

1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    I figured a comprehensive post deserves it's own thread; please stay away from telling us why MLS was stupid not to choose YOUR CITY or other perspectives that tell me and others how ignorant you are....

Well, since hindsight is always 20/20, and since these threads crop up from time to time that highlight asinine, one-dimensional arguments about who "deserves a team" in MLS...

Here goes:

Unfortunately, Scaryice's comprehensive MLS expansion bid lists fall short in telling any of the stories behind those original 22 bids out of 27 cities-- http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2007/11/history-of-mls-expansion-and-franchises.html -- how many were serious, how many of them were seriously lacking, and how many of them were outright jokes... it would take a loooooooong time for me to go back and research the stories behind each and every city's bid, so I'd rather just start from my Tulsa-centric perspective and go from there....... in the mid 90s, I based myself out of Chicago, but also lived in Indy, Boston and spent the summer of '96 outside of Denver (I still have my Colorado Rapids inaugural season t-shirt... good times.)

What was Alan Rothenberg and MLS looking for in cities/teams?

Columbus Leading Way In Soccer Ticket Deposits
    Published: 5/13/1994
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?no=subj&articleid=450429&archive=yes

Major League Soccer Delayed Until '96?
    Published: 10/26/1994
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?no=subj&articleid=479352&archive=yes
    MLS eventually sought out a merger with the APSL (A-League), but couldn't work out the details due to "single-entity".....

Tulsa Out of MLS With Proposed APSL Merger
    Published: 9/23/1994
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?no=subj&articleid=473661&archive=yes

Outdoor Soccer League Rejects MLS
    Published: 10/6/1994
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?no=subj&articleid=475882&archive=yes
    By the fall of 1994, out of those 22 bids, MLS awarded teams to eight cities:
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?no=subj&articleid=482863&archive=yes

Boston
    Columbus (Ohio)
    Los Angeles
    Washington (D.C.)
    New York/New Jersey
    San Jose
    Tampa
    Chicago

Nine other cities were still competing to put enough pieces together:

Dallas
    San Diego
    Seattle
    Indianapolis
    Detroit
    Kansas City
    Denver
    Miami
    Tulsa

Long Island NY ("won't become active until 1997 -- at the earliest -- when a new stadium is built, according to MLS officials")

So, in the end, St. Phil (Anschutz) and Uncle Lamar (Hunt) filled out MLS with teams in Denver, KC and a league owned team in Dallas since they found worked out a way to play at the Cotton Bowl...

Discuss. I'll add the Tulsa story later... others please contribute... what was the Indy story. Kenn?

2. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Indy bid would have had them play at Butler University's Butler Bowl or IUPUI's track stadium. I know the track stadium can seat 12,000 and the Butler Bowl has gone under so many renovations recently it has been decreased to barely any seats, but I know at one point it sat around 30,000, but that was probably a while ago. I don't know anything about the ownership or season ticket deposits.

3. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Atlanta's undoing was when the idea arose to upgrade DeKalb Memorial Stadium in Clarkston, which, while doable, would have been very far away from most of Atlanta's fans. That, and not having an investor/operator willing to fork over the $$$.

4. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that when the first wave of expansion talk rolled around Oklahoma City tried to put together a bid. This included a plan to fully renovate the Univ of Central Oklahoma stadium in Edmond. MLS had already played two exhibition games there with great results. The stadium DID go through an initial round of renovations, but if MLS OKC had been awarded an expansion there was going to be a complete renovation of the stadium.

5. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, OKC's 2003 MLS exhibition drew 9300 fans, Tulsa's drew 14k and officials used the game as a signup for season tix.... 2500 signed up by the end of halftime, the number grew to 3500 by the end of the game.

So yes, 25% of the crowd at this 2003 exhibition game signed up for MLS season tix... the number grew to around 5,000 in the next few weeks after the game....
    [​IMG]

But I was kinda hoping OKC would get MLS back in 2003 because:

a) Tulsa's well chronicled civic failures and Express Sports's ability to put together a logical plan in Edmond.
    b) OKC would use MLS as a stepping stone to an NHL or NBA team, which would pave the way for the team to move to Tulsa anyway.
    c) MLS success in OKC might have nudged Tulsa into finally getting a USL1 franchise.

Tulsa's story...... from the death of the NASL to the beginnings of MLS, etc....
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13597102&postcount=25

6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem, I think, was that Tulsa had more fan support, but OKC had a better ownership group in place. They just couldn't get the two together. I didn't care who got the team, I just wish one of us had...

7. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ALso, I was at the exhibition in OKC. It was a night game and the temp was in the 30-40's. And they STILL got almost 10,000 people to show up. Kinda blows the theroy being pushed in another thread about FC Dallas attendance being bad because of the weather.

8. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not so sure about whose ownership group was ultimately stronger.
    Tulsa's "local ownership group" was never identified, but it was clear the city had investors at MLS Cup in 2005 and there was still a chance....

City may net soccer team
    Published: 11/18/2005
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=051118_Ne_A1_Citym117&archive=yes

Proposed soccer venue reflects nationwide development trend
    11/20/2005
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/arti...articleid=051120_Ne_A1_Propo32801&archive=yes

------The "national sports agency that owns a franchise" turned out to be DC United's new owners, Tim Kissler, William Lauterbach and Global Development Partners. They were partnering with a Tulsa LLC to build a stadium + condos/mixed use retail in downtown using a TIF. I assume that after Global Development Partners turned out to not have the finances MLS thought they had, and after Lamar Hunt found a very solid ownership group in OnGoal for the Wizards, that left Tulsa on the outside looking in....

Below, an estimated crowd of more than 14,000 watches the Kansas City Wizards take on the Dallas Burn during a Major League Soccer exhibition game at Skelly Stadium on April 5, 2003. STEPHEN HOLMAN / Tulsa World
    [​IMG]

It's kinda sad that the above pictured Chapman Stadium has been downsized closer to MLS specs with 26,000 fixed seats and a new pressbox that includes 20 luxury suites.... same number of suites as Pizza Hut Park but still too narrow a field with the plastic grass....

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Future MLS teams ought to build their franchises up in US-1 before being awarded MLS franchises, ala Toronto, Seattle, Vancouver and Portland.

10. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. I would like to see St. Louis get a USL-1 team along with other candidates. The thing is that the prospective owners of the MLS team may not want to invest in a short-term USL team.

11. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Toronto is an exception to those three in that the MLS franchise had nothing to do with the USL team, in fact the Lynx still exist and have dropped down to PDL.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, what?

Edit: And for that matter, outside of a name and a couple of players, it would appear to me that the MLS Sounders have had very little to do with their USL namesake and are a completely different operation throughout.

13. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Adrian Hanauer.

However yes. It is a new entity. I wouldn't expect much different from Vancouver or Portland. Though I doubt Portland will need to take on other owners considering the Paulson family's deep pockets.

14. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Bullshit

All they did to join MLS was bring in a big money guy, Roth. Partner up with Vulcan and the Seahawks for the expertise and existing infrastructure already in place. And brought in a celebrity to help promote the team.

Adrian Hanaeur, majority owner of the USL team who basically ran everything there is still running the show in MLS. He ran the team in the USL and he runs it now.

Schmetzer, USL head coach is now the assistant coach, who can argue with getting Sigi? Sigi won't be around forever and I suspect Schmetzer will step right in and not miss a beat.

Those are just the big names. Many FO and staff simply transfered over to the "MLS franchise" from the USL team.

The reality is that MLS is a better league than USL, so you will not keep very many players on from the USL team. As it is they kept 5 players from the USL squad as well as Nyassi who was on loan to the USL team from the MLS team.

You can't just keep doing things at a USL level, if you want to join a bigger league you have to get bigger and better. Make no mistake about it, this is the same organization, just with a ton more firepower than they had in the USL.

Technically MLS's single entity structure makes it imposible to simply move a prexisting organization into the league. But you can do what Seattle did and just hire all those same people into positions on the "new" MLS team.

Regarding Vancouver. They have a great organization up there and you are kidding yourself if they will not be taking advantage of that for their MLS franchise.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Always interesting to see a thread about how bad a start MLS got in life (especially the part before kicking a ball) and comparing to where we are now. Good for keeping us thankful.

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

More so if you were like me and got the wind knocked outta your sails when the league launch was pushed back from April of '95 to April of '96.

I have to admit that from the OP thread title I was wondering if this thread was going to be another SI or uniforms bitch fest...good to see the links and info provided just rehashes how everything went down in that soccer boom right after USA '94. We really do have the greatest 14 year old pro men's outdoor soccer league the planet has ever known.

17. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the J-League? Of course, its only real competition is baseball, but its doing really well considering how young the league is. Only 3 or 4 years older than MLS from what I remember reading.

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    J-League is not new teams like MLS is. They "promoted" some of their larger JSL teams to make a professional league. But you are correct in that they formed 3-4 years before MLS did (1993). While the JSL teams weren't very well followed prior to the formation of J-League, it would essentially be like promoting some of the larger USL teams to create MLS.

19. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Pro-rel was never in the past, and will not in the foreseeable future be a part of MLS's business plan.....

I think viable markets take a backseat to money and civic/corporate support. Luxury suites, public $$$ for stadiums, big sponsors, AND local "owner-investors" (aka BENEFACTORS)....

I went to a Colorado Rapids game in 1996-- have the inaugural season tshirt.
    I don't think for two seconds that Denver was a better market in 1996 than Seattle.

I went to a New England Revolution game in 1997-- great atmosphere, frustrating how Kraft shortchanged the team's success by turning the marketing over to the Patriots staff... and the Boston media eventually mimicked their New York media overlords by giving MLS second rate media coverage.

Dallas Burn? Great field at the Cotton Bowl; awful atmosphere.
    KC at Arrowhead Stadium? Great field; lousy, second-rate atmosphere.

Then there's my hometown in 1997; an uphill attempt to get a team by starting off with a smaller publicly funded 5k stadium that could be later expanded to MLS specs....

[​IMG]

Tulsa Project a No-Brainer for Fans
    By John Klein
    Published: 10/13/1997
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=29&articleid=19971012_Sp_b1klein&archive=yes

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, it hurt in lots of ways:

1 Instead of 3/4ths of a year after the WC, when it was still reasonably fresh and some more momentum might have existed, it was 1-3/4ths of a year, ample time for the sporting public to forget a one-off event.
    2 In March of 95, baseball was still on strike (in fairness, it would be resolved by the end of the month, and players took the field in April). Still, the resentment was fresh.
    3 It wasn't even the first "push-back" since we'd originally hoped to have a league started by the WC, and that fed the cynicism about whether the league could work (not just by pundits who were likely to be cynical, either, but real decision-makers whose confidence we'd like to have had). That cynicism held us back a lot.

21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Bring back the roughnecks

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.
    Knowing our U.S. sports culture as an all around sports junkie I was certain that pro outdoor soccer was going to need to ride that massive USA '94 success for all its worth.
    We've made it and are here to stay so one can say "what worries?" but that wait from Winter of '95 to Spring of '96 was a grind.

Indeed. Look what has happened in Seattle's sports culture fresh from the Sonics picking up and leaving. The SSFC Front Office could not have paid any ammount of cash for such a ripe field to cultivate in year 1.

Even the optimist Pele was probably shitting himself after putting up so much backing and promises to FIFA just to reel in our nation the Mundial with MLS the bait. From '84 to '94 that cynicism was there even in the soccer ranks so when it came to crunch time there in '95. Who was that Irish winger...O'Shit!

Never say never right...but for MLS probably not anytime soon.
    However, if you have never been to Tulsa and or do not recall the fondness that town had for their Roughnecks, the men's outdoor game is very strong in that part of NE Oklahoma.
    Soccer fields everywhere, massive youth participation and a true concept of their local sports fans on what it means to actually enjoy going out to watch live pro soccer.
    Even in an insane gridiron State, that town "get's it".

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to disagree that it was a mistake to push back to 1996 from '95. I remember at the time the league's phone number was 1-800-MAJOR-95, but that's about all they had ready to go at that point. Sure, it would have been nice to capitalize on baseball and the WC momentum, but not if you are rushed to put a half-assed product on the field. As it was, the launch wasn't the problem, it was getting all those fans to keep coming back.

As it was, there were mistakes too numerous to mention in 1996, and who knows how many teams would have had to be "League-owned" with a 1995 launch. There were problems with stadium leases and ownership financing, and I don't want to think about what kind of a mess we might have been in with a premature launch.

I remember being disappointed with the delay, like every soccer fan who was chomping at the bit for a team to watch regularly (and to think I envied fans of the New York Centaurs!), but even then I thought it was better to wait and get it right than to rush things and have it fail.

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO the coolest thing about following MLS is that unlike other leagues and when they began way back when in the 1800's and how they might end up in the future.
    Being passionate about MLS is not about our start up or any promise land destination as top 5 in the world, its witnessing the journey that pro men's soccer takes in our nation.
    I mean ever since '94, the beautiful game has only gotten stronger and stronger in our culture at an ever increasing rate and indeed there is no stopping it now.

25. Mike Gray

Mike Gray BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 17, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta disagree. There's a difference between a cold night game and a roasting day match.

Sitting in 30 degree weather isn't that uncomfortable if you're wearing proper attire. And to make yourself more comfortable there's drinking, standing up, blankets, etc. It's doable.

However, take it from somebody who's been to a million games at the Rose Bowl...day games in hot, sunny weather suck. It's not anywhere near as easy to cool down as it is to warm up...what can you do besides fanning yourself for a few seconds? Not to mention the f'ng glare.