Major League Soccer

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by eightyhoursaway, Aug 4, 2008.

1. eightyhoursaway

Jun 5, 2008
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    With so many Irish (such as myself) in America and the fact that most Irish love America, how come more Irishmen aren't play in America's Major League Soccer?

The only guy I can think of is Ronnie O'Brien, who plays for San Jose.

2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Because as far as Irish people are concerned, you can only play football in England (or Scotland). How many irish players are in Germany/Spain/Italy/France/Holland etc?

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I'm not trying to be mean here Eightyhoursaway:

This is really a stupid question.

Ireland is a small country (by population). While Soccer may be the most popular sport, Rugby and GAA sports are also extremely popular.

So Ireland have got a small population of soccer players.

England is right next to Ireland. It costs a few pounds to send a scout over to Ireland to watch the Irish boys play.

So the best Irish kids are seen and recruited early. The ones that the scouts miss, continue playing in the Irish system and are scouted later.

Are there players that the English clubs miss? Yes. But the Scottish clubs snap those ones up.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    On that note, MLS sides have been known to scout the LOI. Richie Baker played for New England, but he was utter crap and is no longer there. I seem to remember (correct me if I'm wrong) that he was slow as hell and completely reliant on his right foot.

The Metrostars were linked with Eamon Zayed for a while. He may have even gone over there to trial.

As English clubs have seen, there are some good bargains in the LOI, and the guys are paid very little, so even MLS sides could offer more: a bigger salary and a chance to move to America.

Honestly, Dave Mooney and Mark Quigley are the top scorers in LOI right now. Both young (23 and 22), and tall (6 ft). Several MLS clubs could use those two. If I was a GM, I'd have them in for a trial ASAP. I think America would be a big lure for several young Irish soccer players. When I was in Dublin last summer several young Shelbourne players inquired about soccer in the states, and on the USL board there is a young Bray Wanderers kid looking to come over.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ireland, for me, is a perfect example that the US is not scouted enough. There are those "missing gems" out there that the US Soccer ladder does nto see.

Ireland is a tiny country, with a small amount of soccer players. Irish people love sports and are athletic, but not moreso than for example, the United States (where people of Irish descent are a large ethnic group).

But the difference between here and there is the influence of the pro game. Ireland has to be one of the most scouted countries in the world. There are scouts at loads of games at almost every level imaginable. There is a huge pro influence on the game. Some may say that is bad, and I'm sure there are negatives but thats a whole different issue.

We(USA) need pro scouts badly. The more English, Mexican, and Spanish clubs that come over here the better.

4. brian boru

brian boru New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Some MLS players earn as little as 20k and some LOI players earn 5 times that. Why would any LOI player want to play in the MLS. The standard of Play has stayed the same in 12 years. Last night Red Bulls were ripped apart by Barcelona who could have scored a dozen goals and on the same night Dynamo Kiev, former EUFA Cup winners, were lucky to knock out Drogheda. Why should any of them come here where nobody really cares about the game. You play in a country that loves the game whether its Britain, Ireland or the continent.
    Incidentally, Richie Baker was not shit for New England. He left because he fell out with Nicol. He played quite well.

5. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Because of a higher standard of football than in Ireland and the fact that they can pay 20 times that for a top-end player? You're right in that they aren't going to be dragging any players across the pond for a development contract, but there's money there for players who're rated highly that more than matches the amount available in the Irish leagues.

Getting in before anyone else would strike me as problematic, as if MLS is willing to splash the cash, a League Two side probably would be as well and the latter is more in the shop window. While there are good players around, whether or not it provides a better option than American youngsters and less sought-after South Americans is the issue and I'm not sure it would be.

6. brian boru

brian boru New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Higher standard?

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a season ticket holder the year Richie Baker was here I can honestly say, he was crap.
    He probably had a falling out because he was terrible and could not get any playing time. We had hopes for him because of his back ground and past accomplishments but in the end, he was just not good enough to get into the lineup

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Comparing Dynamo Kiev and Barcelona = Kinda stupid.

Barcelona would thump any LOI team, just like they would any MLS team.

I'm sure several MLS sides could put up a decent showing against Dynamo Kiev.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    From first hand experience, there are several LOI players who are interested in MLS and USL. My cousin plays in the LOI, he has asked me about it. His teammates while he was at Shelbourne asked me about it, and that kid on the USL board is trying to come over here. Thats an indication that there is probably a decent size population of LOI players that would be interested in coming over the water.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't think anyone would argue that LOI is played at a higher level than MLS. That is a bit silly. Is it that far behind? No. But I think MLS is probably one step higher.

9. brian boru

brian boru New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Don't call anything "Kinda stupid" when you are dealing with a team from the Ukraine. I doubt there is a team in the MLS that could tie with Dynamo in Kiev.
    Incidentally, I go to Barcelona games at least once every year. They were poor last year and by Barcelona standards failed miserably coming 3rd in La Liga. Many people in Barcelona feel they have a lot to do to place better this coming season. Time will tell.
    The old USSR used to pick the entire team from Kiev to represent the nation before your time. check the records and you will find that they used Ireland as a punch bag during one of those games. I remember it well.