Magnum P.I. (Season 2) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The show's season premiere airs on Friday, September 27th. :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season premiere tonight. :thumbsup:

-G

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So Ivan! :eek::eek::eek:

Goodsport repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    A bit worried about how hard they are leaning into the Moonlighting angle.

Surely they can't keep this Higgins-Magnum dynamic up forever.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    One thing I have found increasingly to be the case is the contrast between how the original Magnum perceived the Vietnam war (and how it treated Rick, T.C. and Magnum's obvious PTSD) and how this new version is treating the U.S. more recent wars. And I don't think the contrast flatters the remake.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While there've been a few supporting Hawaii Five-0 characters crossing over into Magnum P.I. the last two seasons, the long-awaited crossover between the Five-0 team itself (minus Danny Williams, for some reason) with Thomas Magnum and company will finally occur on Friday, January 3rd.

So don't forget to watch both shows back-to-back on that day. :)

(How differently would that scene have gone with Tom Selleck and Jack Lord in it instead? ;))

-G

Smurfquake repped this.
  7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crossover night tonight. :thumbsup:

First watch Hawaii Five-0, then watch Magnum P.I. immediately afterward.

-G

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the Magnum episode of the crossover. (I neglected to take Goodsport's advice and record the Hawaii Five-0 episode.) It wasn't much of a crossover. I don't watch Hawaii Five-0 so I'm not familiar with the characters, but my understanding is that there's a cop called McGarrett, and another cop called Danno, or Danny Williams, and some other cops, and there was a medical or morgue tech that's shown up on the new Magnum once or twice, and the guy who runs the food truck that shows up on Magnum every so often maybe also shows up on Hawaii Five-0, but none of that really led in to the crossover. Anyways, not having watched the Hawaii Five-0 part of the crossover (or any of the series at all), the Magnum part of the crossover featured three characters that I had never heard of allegedly from the other show.

And you know what? It didn't matter. It was still entertaining. It was a perfectly fine episode of Magnum. Sure, there was a macguffin from the previous part of the crossover, some kind of list of CIA agents that was for sale, but the details don't really matter - there was lots of lovely scenery of Hawaii, and some tension between Magnum and Higgins, and buddy scenes with Rick and T.C., and a vaguely competent cop story to link scenes of attractive people doing cop things in Hawaii together. Even the hacker was good looking. This is the kind of escapism I turn on CBS on Friday nights for. Thumbs up.

Goodsport repped this.
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that the Hawaii Five-0 episode of the crossover can still easily be viewed via your TV provider's (Comcast, DirecTV, DISH, etc.) on-demand service, as well as on CBS All Access. ;)

-G

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the sneak peak for today's (Friday, February 28th) new episode of Hawaii Five-0, Rick makes an appearance when the 5-0 team visits Rick's & T.C.'s bar, including Det. Daniel "Danno" Williams (played by Scott Caan), who for some reason wasn't around when the two shows had their crossover event a few weeks back.

Even if the episode ends up not being mandatory for Magnum P.I. viewers, it'll still be nice nonetheless. :)

-G

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The season resumes tonight. :thumbsup:

-G

12. Goodsport