Magnum P.I. (2018 version) [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose OT' started by Goodsport, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This show debuts tonight.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pretty good, definitely enough for me to continue watching it. :cool: While I imagine that future episodes will also have a lot of action, the pilot episode was no doubt particularly action-packed due to being directed by Justin Lin of The Fast and the Furious fame.

The crossover with Hawaii Five-0's medical examiner Dr. Noelani Cunha (along with the previous mention of 5-0 by the police detective) was pretty interesting, though not overly surprising considering that executive producer Peter Lenkov holds the same position with the current H50 series (as well as with the current MacGyver series), making more of such crossover Easter Eggs likely and perhaps even a full-on crossover episode or two between the series' - after all, both are set in Hawaii. ;)

If this show ends up following a similar path to the current Hawaii Five-0, then it'll continue to develop its own continuity from the original and stand on its own soon enough. :)

Two other fun facts regarding similarities between this show and H50:

1) Much like how Lenkov slightly changed the title of his other show from the original's Hawaii Five-O (with a capital letter O) to his version's Hawaii Five-0 (with a number 0), he changed the title of the original Magnum, P.I. to this version's Magnum P.I.

2) The original Magnum, P.I. ran on CBS from 1980 to 1988, its beginning coinciding with the end of CBS's Hawaii Five-O which ran from 1968 to 1980. One of the reasons CBS green-lit Magnum, P.I. as quickly as it did was to take advantage of the CBS crew, sets and equipment already in Hawaii that were no longer being used on H5O (another reason was to activate Tom Selleck's contract and hang on to him for the series so that they wouldn't lose him to the Indiana Jones role in Raiders of the Lost Ark, which also started filming around that time).

All in all, I can't wait for next week's episode. :thumbsup:

-G