MagicJack game discussions

Discussion in 'magicJack' started by MRAD12, Apr 25, 2011.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since it doesn't seem like this team has any comitted supporters here on B.S, I'll start a thread for those who want to discuss MJ games and such.

Saw this on SoccerAmerica calling it a mystery team:

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/42022/mystery-team-wins-in-debut.html

It said that only 500 seats were available because the FAU's football team took the rest of the seating for their spring football game.
    So in actuality, they had a standing room only crowd.

Some photos from the game on Equalizer facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Equalizer/183022735051899

Is there anyone here, who posts or lurks who may have gone to the game between MJ and Boston to tell us what went on, how the crowd was, the atmosphere, etc.?

2. lisab

lisab Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Orlando
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what I posted in the peas in a pod thread:

Attended the game last night. I can believe that number, it was crowded. MJ controlled most of the game and had lots of chances, lack of finishing and a strong Boston defense kept the scoreline close.

As for the 'stadium' experience (cough, cough) passed the Breakers heading to their locker room while walking up to get a ticket, got DiCicco to stop for a photo. Got 2 tickets GA for $20. 1 concession stand, NO Beer, porta-potties, bleacher seating. Lots of folks decided to sit on the grass along the rope line.

As for the marketing while there on the way into parking got handed flyer with home schedule and notice that the parking for today's game was free because there were other sports events going on at the same time, believe it was a baseball game. But for future games parking will be $3. In the stands there were a couple of late teenage girls handing out the roster lists wearing MagicJack t-shirts. And on the way out got a fancy shiny home schedule with a photo of Hope in her Beat uni and Abby in her US uni.

Announcer called Tony 'DiSisso'. Also kept referring to the team as 'magicjacks'. During the first half the clock stopped at the 44min mark and damn buzzer went off.

Pia and the US coaching staff were in attendance

3. lisab

lisab Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Orlando
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also I plan on making it down there for 1 more game at least if it doesn't conflict with a FC Tampa or Orlando City game day.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    lisab,

Thanks for your input.

I am going to the game on Sun. May 8, MagicJack vs. Beat. In that tiny stadium do you see any reason why I wouldn't be able to get a walk-up ticket at the booth?

5. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple of pictures from the game floating around on Facebook now. I am happy to see the great picture of Abby signing autographs with a absolute horde of kids after the game. Hopefully (no pun intended) they spread the word to their friends and family. If they really got 1,200 in attendance the first night, word of mouth marketing has to help next game. Lack of beer might be another story. I'm sure there is a good brew pub somewhere near Boca that could show up with a bunch of coolers or something. This is clearly a work in progress. Now, if the football guys bring back the missing stands....

I have at least two major questions to ask.

1. Was there a Hope Solo sighting at the game?
    2. What did the magicJack mascot look like?

Oh, and 3. Did or did not Hope get invited or attend brunch with Donald on Easter Sunday? Thanks to twitter we know she saw the easter bunny.

6. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Yes. They might not have been able to afford an actual booth. Instead, I picture street urchins wearing newsboy caps, commissioned to walk around and sell tickets. "Extra! Extra! Tickets to the game!"

Since they sell sit-on-the-grass General Admission tickets in addition to the bleacher seating, I can't imagine that magicJack games would sell out of walk-up tickets.

7. lisab

lisab Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Orlando
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No you should be okay. The 'booth' was 2 tables, to the left was will call and the right was the place to purchase tix. When I walked up the guy assumed I wanted general admission so that is what I purchased. The folks that decided to sit on the grass I believe just wanted to be closer to the action instead of the bleacher seats.

I didn't stay too long after the game was over because I was driving back home but I did see the MJ players come over to the line of kids waiting for autographs.

I would bring hat and/or sunglasses because you'll still get a bit of sun in your face when the game starts, and maybe some mosquito repellant (it is FLA in May).

The Boca Raton airport is right behind the field so there will be intermittant jet engine noise.

Enjoy and safe travels

8. lisab

lisab Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Orlando
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not see Hope Solo but spent all game down at the end of the field in the bleechers. Did see Pia and the US coaching team.

Also saw no magicJack mascot but did see Borislow the owner in the 'VIP' area which consisted of a folding table, 3 chairs and line dividers like you'd see in a bank teller line.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  10. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    heard he was on the sidelines doing most of the coaching?

11. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Boy, a lot of people are ripping on the WPS and Magicjack. I think for 3 yrs they are doing ok, definitely have a class A product on the field. in 3 weeks they have had some monster games, esp in the 2nd half of some. And I think they have captured two owners who may be the templates to how you model a women's club around a business which can absorb the "RED", so you aren't crying 24/7 in articles like Fitz. They arent the billionaires who carried the MLS but they seem to work for the WPS.

As far as the field, he could have put them in a football stadium. How soon we forget that he was courted to put the team in Miami FC stadium and he choose a pure soccer setting, seems to have the university's blessings and had an OK turnout with no advertising or anything.

Lets just watch them over the next couple of weeks. They say they will have full 3000 seating this week because of no conflict with the football team. again, lets remember he could have put this team in a football but didnt want to.

As far as money, it's obvious this team is some kind of lost leader like wny is to sahlen. You just seem to have a real organized owner vs an oddball type. Hope them both success.

Did anyone see the comment where Abby said he pays us to have FUN and WIN. the girls love how he is treating them, so as fan, he's good in my book. I could care less about his douchebag personality, rudeness, crazy Non-Profit book-keeping and all the other circus stuff with him.

Go Press!

[​IMG]

:p

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  13. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    except that they're not in DC, nice!

14. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the WC site: 84 F w/10% chance of rain in Boca Raton @ 1600. It's going to be sunny, hot & muggy at game time on May 1st. Sounds like typical May weather in SE Florida.

15. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 win on a hot, muggy, windy, sunshine of a day. Abby Wambach scored one goal and assisted on the other. Nice! There were a half dozen or so Ultras on hand drumming as best we could, but we couldn't think of any chants, songs, etc that we could use. Still, we actually got a few compliments for our efforts at the end.

MagicJack's next home game is May 7th @ 4PM. I might go, as will a few of the others. For $10 for a ticket and cheap 'dogs ($2.00) & burgers ($3.00 or $3.50 w/cheese) it's an inexpensive afternoons entertainment. Plus, it supports the sport locally. For those that might want to imbibe they also have a separate Beer Garden w/it's own set of bleachers & the restrooms - port-a-potty's - located nearby....:D

Overall it's a decent way to fill the need for the sport by watching a pitch full of USWNT players perform at a reasonable price. I'd recommend everyone give it a try at least once...:)

16. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It better be on Sunday May 8th at 4:00. That's what the schedule says. And that's when I'll be in South Florida for the game.

18. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOPS!!! I just checked the schedule. You're right, it's on May 8th.....:eek:

Please attend, no matter what day it is played. It's worth the time, effort and $$$. MagicJack is, as are all 6 WPS teams, an excellent squad well worth watching.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's one of the reasons I'm coming down there (along withe South Beach :)) to watch a game.
    Even though my Chicago Red Stars are not in the league this year, I'm still a WPS fan.

20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Are they signing autographs after the games? That was one of the original points of emphasis from WPS.

21. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. There was a video about this somewhere.. don't remember where I saw it.

22. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bench players signed autographs while the starters rested in the middle of the pitch. I hung around for about ten minutes after the game and never saw players like Wambach sign anything. Maybe they did on the 11th minute. I thought after the game the entire team would have come over to their adoring young fans.

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    there was a video of players talking to kids and signing after a game. i don't remember where it's at. i think he is blacking out the media.

basically with 1000-1200 that place is at max. so, what is he going to advertise at the moment? seems like money wasted since there is no where to sit.

i'm assuming he is short selling at the moment to get the commitment from the univ to get a 4000k seat stadium next yr.

wild guess they will draw over 3000 if they actually advertised and jobbed the team. it's just bad. that team is STACKED and could be better than WNY. i dont think the may 22nd game will say anything other than NT players coming in and out so it's a toss up.

Go Press!
    [​IMG]

thumbs down to WNY fans for only 2200 at the opener.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And they should.

These players should not take anything or anyone for granted.
    They should be signing autographs until the last fan has left the stadium and/or until their hands go numb.

If they think they are too good for their fans or too tired to sign autographs after the game then they will deserve not to have a team or league next year if it happens.

25. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States