MagicJack, FAU and Lockhart Fields

Discussion in 'magicJack' started by seCrawler, Jul 26, 2011.

1. seCrawler

seCrawler New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santa Fe Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been around that much, because I have spent more time on the MLS board before the WC, but what is the deal with MagicJack not moving post World Cup games to Lockhart? I think the stadium can handle up to 18,000 or something like that? Also, the football lines can be removed. I'm not sure of the cost but am sure it is easily offset with 10,000 or so per game, showing up to see the national players, especially Abby, Hope and Rapione.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second, Lockhart is only about 12-15 miles away from FAU.

FAU and FIU have to work out a deal?

2. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    The situation is not very obvious to new fans because the usual rules of running a sports franchise do not apply in magicJack's situation.

Making a profit from attendance is not important to the ownership. Instead, reducing non-player expenses is important to the ownership. FAU seems to be giving the team an excellent deal on stadium rental, one that Lockhart cannot match. So, there is no financial motivation to move to a different venue.

Accommodating fans is not important to the ownership. So, the fact that a bigger venue would be beneficial to fans is not an incentive.

Other than being able to make more profit and to accommodate more fans, is there any reason why the team would want to move to Lockhart? (I actually thought of another reason. However, with the owner suspended and unable to appear on the sidelines, that reason no longer applies.)

3. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do FIU & FAU have to work out a deal? FIU is 40 miles to the south of Lockhart in Miami-Dade County & is not in the equation for professional domestic soccer in SE Florida. It is the home fierld for the FIU football team. Lockhart is in Broward County & currently does not have gridiron markings. By September, when HS football starts, it will, but not now. Lockhart has been the home stadium for FAU for the last few years, but FAU will soon have it's own on campus stadium in Boca Raton.

The top picture is of Lockhart Stadium. The bottom picture you have posted with the cheerleaders was taken at FIU Stadium, not Lockhart. They are 2 separate and different stadiums.

For the rest, BJB pretty much told us the story. MagicJack is run like no other sports franchise in the country.

4. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i think it's a mix up. magicdan talked to fiu before the season, or they were one of his courters. i think many thought lockhart was the name of fiu's field. i guess you have to google them to see the difference.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They played NASL soccer at Lockhart in the 70s it is well known enough that Google should not be neded, it is no where near FIU. And FAU is also nowhere near FIU.

3 different stadiums in 3 different countys....!

6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    my point is everyone doesn't spend their whole life researching this stuff. you see the article, try to connect the dots. if they meet, then great. if not, then you are wrong. personally, i know i'm not researching it. there were a bunch of stadiums down in florida which wanted magicdan. i have no clue which county they are in. i can probably find fau if i ever drive 1400 miles to a magicdan game. 900 is enough for me to atlanta. i'm glad you know where all the stadiums are. :)

7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We live here. We've probably been to all 3 stadiums......;)

Just remember that Ft Lauderdale's Lockhart Stadium is the home of the Ft Lauderdale Strikers & NASL today, was the home of FAU football, and is not on a college campus. It would be an excellent location for magicJack because of it's history with the sport, but I doubt if magicDan will ever move there.

ETA: Just noticed that magicJack might play WNY at Lockhart. We'll see what comes of that rumor.

8. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Here's info on magicJack's deal with FAU. Basically, FAU gives the team free rent and free workers. magicJack doesn't have to pay a cent or lift a finger. FAU takes care of it all. In exchange, FAU gets 80% of ticket and concession sales. And, it seems that Dan is giving his 20% to FAU.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/2011/08/preseason_schedule_is_out_fau.html

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the 30K goes mostly to FAU soccer and does not get siphoned off for other sports, they are doing great the past few games.

With the exception of security, it looked like mostly students, whom I assumed were soccer players, handled all tickets and concessions etc. So overhead is minimal.

11. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a better article and almost explains how theuniversity claims to have went from Nothing to 60k in total profits in the blink of an eye. The article almost even sheds a better light on the owner who believes he should be allowed to break rules or neglect whatever he wants just because he paid top dollar for it.

However, the guy looks arrogant and incompetent by giving away $30k in a sweet rent deal to people who probably don't even have much wherewithal of their own to negotiate much and then arguing over league fees with the ownership of the league that has the authority to pull the plug on his whole set-up. He talks about how much money the league is forcing him to lose, but how much revenue per goal is spent on acquiring Megan Rapinoe from Philly (money that went to reimburse the Philly franchise, not necessarily even pay her salary)? And every possible revenue stream he's got is shut off, perhaps for shady tax purposes?

BTW, their HOME attendance has never even go over 3k, but it is just rounded up to sound better? They are just averaging low twos after WWC, right?

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    people keep worrying about attendance and that nonsense. the bottom-line with this guy and this team is between the commercials, home and road eyeballs, announcements, magicjack on tickets, magicjack popping up in articles positive or negative and so forth, is he getting a spike in unit sales and subscriptions and downloads at magictalk. the other owners can cry about giving the university 30k-60k but he is looking for a stadium in a trade off. 1.5 - 2M on this team is just written off against 100M in revenues for magicjack.

between hotdogs, hams, tees, balls, etc, salhen isn't too far behind in the giveaway.

you just have night and day with those 2.

13. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who is everyone's vote for coach of the year? Who votes on this? Does magicjack still have a chance, can they win it all? Is it decided before or after the playoffs? Will dan call it a conspiracy if he doesn't win it?

14. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know for sure that he is getting a spike in sales ?

15. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    FAU says that magicJack will play in their new stadium next year.

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/story/no-star-power-women’s-sports-florida-you-don’t-know-magicjack

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news.

Interestingly enough, FAU has been begging for a Company to purchase naming rights to the new stadium for a couple of years, without any luck. I wonder......

17. emeybee

emeybee New Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Is this a real article?

This part is sketchy:
    Umm... I see no such tweet by Larry King, and haven't heard anything about Lebron knowing mJ exists.

18. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHe obviously is not a part of the real media... this is a lovefest from an Abby fan

19. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Riley.

They are better than Philly, and equal WNY but Abby is clueless when it comes to subbing. Lines and Riley for the Win.

Before.

If there is a controversial call which costs MJ a game then he'll blame Fitz and his ghetto organization and the infidel league President. :D

Go Jacks!

[​IMG]