Magic Vs Sockers Fc

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by beautifulgame11, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Don't understand your point.

2. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005
    I believe his point is that quotes like the one he/she mentioned seem to indicate a prefessionalization of youth sports that he/she does not like. Namely, its kids playing a sport, who cares if a coach brings his dogs to the field. They are 11 year old kids...and somewhere along the line they played soccer for fun. It's not like Zec had a pooper scooper out there at halftime of the U18 state cup final...atleast I think that was the point of the poster :)

ALSO, congrats to Eclipse for getting their U14 team to the semis...they have a tough task ahead of them though with a very good Sockers team. Sockers are in great position to win the whole thing, with the Wind and Magic I in the other semi which, on paper, looks to be a much more difficult match up then the Eclipse team. Sockers COULD be very well rested and ready for the final.

How are the high school boys games going, any major surprises, or players who have switched clubs that are making a major impact in their new place?

3. Romario94

Romario94 New Member

May 23, 2006
    Chicago
    Actually I'm just breaking Zec's balls a little bit. That's it. U14 Wind v. Magic next week is the game to watch. Magic are gonna have their hands full with the mexican lad up top. He's big time.

Zec doesn't use a pooper scooper, he uses the hand in the plastic sandwich bag trick.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The perfect U14 forward. Born shortly after the August 1 cutoff, the height of an adult, the speed of an adult, and he has a boatload of foot skills.

But the Magic has been through this before, as it had to face Abdus Ibrahim in the Regional Finals last year. Ask the Magic kids about that guy! Wow.

5. JMPN Dad

JMPN Dad New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    New Lenox
    I thought what you wanted were New Years Day babies....born January 1...etc...etc....

6. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Not when the age groups are broken down from August 1 to July 31. Players born in January are 6 months younger than the oldest eligible players. Sometimes actually age does not matter but a younger ages being 6 to 9 months older than the other playes gives you an advantage simply because they are more developed physically and mentally.

7. JMPN Dad

JMPN Dad New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    New Lenox
    I guess I was looking at the bigger picture, than league play. Because if we are dreaming about the perfect kid, we might as well dream National team and birth years rather than school years.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting decision by the Magic to forfeit the final matches at its own tournament, so as to rest its teams for next week's State Cup. "Sorry, fellas, you paid your fees but no final game, we're going home to the air conditioning." :)

The Sockers ain't perfect, either, mind you.

9. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    A lot of coaches are making this decision. Last year my daughter's U12 coach at another club forfeited the final game as they had 2 important league games the following week that would have promoted them to a higher division. This year's coach would have also done the same with State Cup RR next weekend had not their opponent in semi-finals saved him the decision. Trend also seems to be that some are opting out of Memorial Day weekend tournaments all together. Too many of the top teams went into State Cups with too many injuries and not enough players after Memorial Day tournaments.

10. Romario94

Romario94 New Member

May 23, 2006
    Chicago
    Maybe bigger IYSA rosters are the answer. US club and super y league have 26 player rosters I believe. This would give a coach the opportunity to rest players or have enough players if there is injury situations. Not to mention, the ability to throw off someone who may be scouting. I see a coaches point when they are forfeiting games, that in the big picture, mean nothing. However, not every team or club is at the state, regional, or national level. A holiday tournament has importance to to most of the kids who participate. If they make it to the final, we need to find a way to give them a game.

11. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    I see both Magic and Sickers lost at U-13 Boys State Cup, Magic lost to last years U-12 Champs Naperville Lightning and Sockers losing to the Wind.
    Another surprise in the U14 division where the Magic were beaten 5-1 by the Wind.....

12. Romario94

Romario94 New Member

May 23, 2006
    Chicago
    I said the magic would have their hands full with the wind.

13. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Not surprising in the least if you know the teams. Wind has always been the best playing team at those 2 ages. It's just that one could always count on them to fall apart in the discipline category and find a way to beat themselves.

They have the cores for excellent teams from U14 down to U8 right now, so let's see whether A) they can win this year (which they should at U13 and U14) and B) they can make a habit of winning.

As for the Magic. They may only win one State Cup this year - that's unheard of over the last few years.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was at the Wind-Sockers game.Was a very good match, Wind was down early, tied the game at 1-1 with 15 minutes left, then scored on a professional-quality header off a corner in extra time, with the attacker leaping over a well positioned defender to smack the ball just inside the post. The Wind is the most athletic U13 team I have seen this year, with the average starter being about 130 pounds and several of them very fast.

If anybody tells you free substitutions ruin American youth soccer, this match went 90 minutes, and about half the starters on each team played all 90.

15. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005

Or they could win it at 15-18 on the boys side....Still a lot of games left to be played.

Also, Every Magic boys team that participated in MRL besides Magic II at U14 will make it to regionals through the MRL even if they do not win state cup. However, great day for the Wind, some impressive results, esp. considering their U12 team that had such a large reputation was knocked out...great rebound by puting the 13's and 14's in the state cup finals.

16. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know they need the numbers, but I have never liked the MRL "free ride" for any of the teams. If you can't win your state then stay home.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, you have it backwards. The freer ride is for the weaker teams that have the ball bounce right for them in a single-elimination game. If they had to play more games, as in MRL, they'd never make it.

Teams don't qualify for the World Cup through single elimination. Teams don't qualify for Champions League through single elimination. You might do single elimination because it's practical & exciting, but it's a silly way to pick teams to qualify for the next level of competition.

18. SandiG

SandiG New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Not to mention that certain states' state cup champions can't compete at all at regionals, while other states could put 3 or 4 better teams in.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that's true too. Not that I have a problem with the weaker states having entrants, in fact I'm glad that everybody gets a slot, but I don't think it's exactly backing in for a stronger team to qualify by winning MRL.

My kid's team was 4-0 this year against State Cup winners, with an aggregate score 10 goals for, 1 goal against. They'll be attending, his team won't. Ah well, could be worse -- in Southern California, the #10 team at the age group could waltz through many if not most of this Region's State competitions. And nobody will ever hear of those guys, they'll never get out of SoCal.

20. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005

This is true. Last year, 13 of 16 Cal South champs became Region IV champs. At least in 2005, the hard part was getting out of Cal South.

21. JMPN Dad

JMPN Dad New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    New Lenox
    Regional draws have been posted. The soccer gods have smiled upon us.

22. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Hi Vago ...congrats and good luck at regionals:)

23. SandiG

SandiG New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Would you share what you're sacrificing to the soccer Gods? because they seem to be smiting some teams...

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    We need to make a part 2 thread and link to it here please.

25. JMPN Dad

JMPN Dad New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    New Lenox
    We provided an offering and let RM go. You need to provide an offering. I'm thinking if you let one boy off your team you will not have this problem again. Sacrifice KB, let him go and good things will happen. ;)