Josh Perez in Spain

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CreightonMCFCjoey, Apr 15, 2013.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's a cup, silly.

2. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is a knock out cup tournament that only involves teams from Serie C. it largely parallels the Football league Trophy which is only open to Leagues One and Two.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Serie C has 3 (separate) divisions - in the Cup all teams from the 3 play

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They clearly made all of those player look directly into the sun for those pictures.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In Europe, cup competitions are secondary to league ones. So if he does well in the Cup, he can get promoted to playing league games.

There are three gironi (regional sections) in Serie C, the top team gets immediately promoted to Serie B. The teams from #2 to #10 plus the best #11 participate in a playoff promotion tournament, to take the place of the playoff loser between the teams that ended #18/#19 in Serie B (#20, #21 & #22 are immediately relegated).

Livorno tops their girone at this point, with 16 out of 36 games played.

Also, keep in mind the financial situation of small clubs in Serie C is iffy, and it's not uncommon for them to just drop out due to lack of solvency at some point in the middle of the competition.

6. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Thank you! And anyone who has knowledge of these leagues, how does promotion work? Top team in each Serie C group automatically goes up to Serie B?

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Just in time for the holidays

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sounds way too confusing.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's simple compared to others. I think the Europeans stimulate the IQ of the soccer fans by turning their prom/rel into Byzantine affairs. :)

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three regional leagues. Winner of each gets automatic promotion. The host of others play a massive two group playoff with the winner of that tournament getting promotion.

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh played the last 15 mins or so for Livorno against Carrarese. Livorno won 3-2 away.

12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he ever gotten a start?

13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last week, in a Serie C Cup match.

14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so he made some appearances in serie a but isnt a starter in serie c? how does that add up?

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i think he only had 1 appearance in Serie A but maybe wikipedia is wrong.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1191 The Irish Rover, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    No idea, and if you think I'm going to look it up for you, I know a broker with a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.;)

Three guesses though:
    * the Italian Cup preliminary rounds are divided by league level, with the winners playing Serie B sides,
    * the draw simply threw up two Serie C sides and the Italians call cup ties between two lower division sides from the same division Serie C Cup matches
    * There's a Cup for Serie C sides (Serie C is regional with 60 teams in 3 regional divisions), similar to the EFL Cup

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well he was making the bench and sniffing the first team, it seemed....in serie A...so how is he not in a better position for playing time in serie C? i dont get it.

how has a loan from a seria a team to a serie c team not opened the door for a lot more playing time??

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ^ This guy is always posting useful and informative explanations. God Bless him

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i could be basing this on the lower divisions in England, but perhaps he is not physically enforcing enough for Serie C.

wikipedia says he's 5'5. and his photos he seems quite thin.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He went 90 mins in a 3-0 cup loss. The score line was very harsh. The goals were a combo of sloppy with ball at the back, poor defending/goalkeeping, and a silly PK.

Perez looked to be playing on the right and possibly more centrally and moved to the left later in the game. He was mentioned quite a bit in their twitter feed during game but the only one that made the highlights was a cross that bounced, he chested down and shot just wide from a tough angle in the 83rd minute (4:30).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1yoGhHg6B6Q

sakibomb523 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks....i was just really asking more than explaining. ...and i seem to get a lot of static on here so i'm glad at least someone out there appreciates my posts.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess it's because he hasn't progressed as much as people assumed.

His manger at Livorno is the father of one of his Fiorentina Primavera teammates, so he's probably getting chances if he deserves them.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    His role seems to be growing and starting season on the bench isn’t a horrible thing. The team is bringing him along slowly as he adapts and his rewarding him with more minutes when he performs.

My best guess to your question is that Livorno is winning and playing for promotion. As mentioned above, the promotion is pretty complicated and they need to win the league to avoid some odd/extended playoff. The level of play isn’t horrible (technically and tactically) and seen in the cup match that he played that results can come down to mistakes. The teams and players that are going to be promoted are those that eliminate them.

I’ll repost those highlights as it didn’t come through before. Too many links???

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He played 16 minutes in Serie A, at the San Siro, facing Inter, a year ago. Around that time he was also in Fiorentina's bench six times.

This season he's played eight times for Livorno in Serie C, always as a sub, for a total of a bit less of 2 hours and a half.

In the Coppa Italia Serie C, Livorno enters late, at the R32 stage ("sedicesimi di finale," that is sixteenth-finals).

Livorno won the R32 game vs. Arezzo 2-1, with Josh playing from the 62' (the winner was scored by Montini at the 82' mark and Perez was not involved).

For the R16 game ("ottavi de finale," eighth-finals), Josh started. But Viterbese destroyed Livorno 3-0. Livorno got reduced to 10 men near the end, but the game was already 3-0 by then.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I hate to say this...I was referring to Irish Rover. But I like you too.:D

superdave and adam tash repped this.