Madrid Wasn't Built In a Day - The Interim Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How would you rate our summer transfer?

1. Could not have been better. It was bloody amazing mate

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. I'm chuffed

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. Cudda and Shudda Done Better

28 vote(s)
    47.5%
  4. Not too confident at all guv'nor

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Perez and Zidane are both bellends

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. laundromat

laundromat Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Your vindication is totally imagined.

Deep Pal, MaxY, Digital and 2 others repped this.
  2. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    having a person just for the sake of the title doesn't solve anything.
    Between Perez's ego and Zidane's stubbornness, the sporting director role is meaningless.
    if you want a sporting director to do a proper job you need a 2nd tier/low key coach to accept the role.

3. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When the VdB rumors started i said that he would bring a lot of energy to our team, especially to our midfield and damn it looks like that's exactly what we need.

Deep Pal and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  4. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    We needed a midfielder. We didn't need VdB.

We have a better player on loan in Spain.

Deep Pal repped this.
  5. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ceballos and Odegaard have energy in spades. Modric can’t play 90 mins every game anymore but when he’s out there he’s busting a lung.

VdB isn’t necessary when we had options in house.

Drouchk repped this.
  6. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Well maybe if we kept those options people wouldn't be asking for VDB.

Modric-87 repped this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane didn't want Ceballos, i think that much is clear. Odegaard imo needs at least another season on loan, he will be ready next season for us. VdB for the right price would have been a good signing.

Anon. and Bear Crotch repped this.
  8. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    I don’t trust our young talent with Zidane.

it’s clear he’s invested in the old guard.

Eddie and Deep Pal repped this.
  9. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's one of my biggest worries. That I don't really trust Zidane with all those talented youngsters we've got coming up either.

Hazard is (will be again) a great player, but we had Vinicius there last season as shining bright spark who could have kept on playing there with not too much problems. Getting a ready made leftmid was not a priority and at the same time messes with Vinicius' progress.

Ceballos, Reguillon and Llorente wether you think they could be starters for us or not would have been excellent back-up players. They were not to his liking and got shipped out. (don't start with the "we got Mendy" shit, Reguillon should have remained here while Marcelo got shipped out)

Kepa, a promising goalie was not bought for cheap because Zidane didn't want it. The player was already having his medical, but nah aah. Why? He would have been a perfect back-up to Keylor and young enough to wait for his contract to run out naturally to take over. And we would then not have gotten Courtouis.

Diaz seems to be an afterthought to Vazquez.

A little more understandable is that Rodrygo, Odegaard and Kubo get shipped to other teams. They could have brought some improvement to the way we are playing now, but like I said, I find this understandable (although less so for Odegaard tbh, who I would have liked to see used in the pre-season at the very least)

His coaching career is still pretty young that him not really grooming any youngsters so far, can't really be seen as a trend. But his disregard for talent can imo, and if you're not a talent/player he likes, you're pretty much shit out of luck.

PigBenis, MerlinRM, temesgen and 2 others repped this.
  10. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Those options were discarded by the manager. He needed to bring in replacements.. Zidane failed at that.

11. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane didn’t want Bale or James either and both are here. Signing a VdB for 60m pretty much closes the door one of Odegaard or Ceballos returning. I’d rather have those two over over the former in the long run.

The blunder was loaning both Ceballos and Odegaard, one should’ve stayed. I could see if we signed Pogba early in the window, but I don’t get the rush to send both away.

Drouchk, Deep Pal and Oscar repped this.
  12. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Again, it starts at the top. Manager should never have full control over transfers. The club have to plan long term, if Zidane doesn’t like it he can leave. Perez decided to hand him the keys.

13. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Why do people blame Mou for his failed transfers and not Zidane?
    We probably dont have the full story but either the club or Zidane failed to address the midfield situation based on what we already know, new players were needed but they ignored it.
    Odegaard could have stayed with us and not go out on loan..

14. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    That's easier said than done, as we have seen this summer. You don't wave a magic wand and get rid of players that you don't want because they're aging, underperforming, and with a massive salary because the player has to want to move, and other clubs have to want him and be able to afford him. There is no indication that any of those requirements would have been met.

And we can all sit here and say well the club could have pushed him out, but the club tried that with others this summer, and we all know how that story ended.

Anon., J-Mezzy and Digital repped this.
  15. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There was interest from Juve for Marcelo though. There was interest for James as well, we decided not to sell him to Atletico. The only one we couldn't really get rid of was Bale.

Nobody can predict what would have happened, but then we didn't even try to get rid of Marcelo.

16. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I forgot about the Kepa thing. We could have avoided Teebow. Granted Kepa has his issues, but he would have been closer to what we needed.

The thing is, Zidane isn't adverse to playing younger players but there's little indication as to what gets you into his good graces. That could be confusing for many on the roster. Is it possible that Vinicius has underperformed due to the instructions not being exactly clear from Zidane?

Zidane's propensity to use older players is at odds with our transfer policy of buying young.

17. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Our transfer policy is at odds with our player management. We don't do a good job developing players and bringing them into the first team but our transfer policy is almost exclusively focused on buying the most promising youth talent.

Odegaard looks to be successfully navigating the nuance but many are leaving on loan to other teams which aren't always affording opportunities to get minutes and why would other teams care about developing our future stars?

18. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Interest is one thing though. Does the player want to leave? Can they pay him the salary he wants? Can they satisfy the needs of the club? There are a lot of conditions that need to be met for a transfer to happen.

It's the same with Kroos, people are pushing these United rumors. Why the ******** would a player playing in Madrid want to move to a team in the Europa league and play in a city like Manchester?

Digital repped this.
  19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Especially a player that said "this is my last contract, after it's done, i'm retiring" when he signed his current contract.

20. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    He has been in retirement for two years now.

Drouchk, temesgen and Açores57 repped this.
  21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    The hope I have for next season is that we have some key young players that are taking steps forward on loan. Odegaard seems to be ready to contribute here in a big role. Ceballos has played well so far, and while I have questions about his consistency and his best role, he is still a valuable asset. Those are two key additions already there to an area of significant weakness.

22. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    And a coach who can manage them, develop them and trusts them.

23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So has Zidane apparently.

24. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    When Marcelo got benched by Solari, his wife posted on twitter/instagram that "one should go where they are wanted" and I believe he liked it as well. If we made clear he wasn't going to be used (like we apparantly had no problem doing with Reguillon, Llorente and Ceballos) I don't think he would have wanted to stay.

I have no doubt Juve could afford his wages.

The transfer amount would be a question mark. We don't know what would have happened there, and we won't because we didn't try.

25. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Your memory must be short because two years ago Zidane was leading the players to another CL, while Kroos was roaming the pitch like a zombie being carried by Modric, Ramos and Cristiano performances.

Ahmadi8 repped this.