Maccabi Tel Aviv In The 2014-2015 UEFA Europa League Playoff Round (and Maybe Beyond)

Discussion in 'Israel' started by EvanJ, Aug 8, 2014.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maccabi Tel Aviv will play Asteras Tripolis of Greece, who has a 8.720 coefficient, with the first leg in Greece.

2. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see you following one of the smaller teams worldwide, people don't get much credit by sticking with the smaller teams but respect to you. Maccabi and Hapoel Tel Aviv and Haifa are the bog boy in Israel yes, but very few fans in the US follow the Israeli leagues and national team I've noticed even though the Israeli national team plays in UEFA. I'm still hoping for an Israeli team to at least match what Hapoel did in the Champions league group stage in 2010-11, that helped the league get some credibility

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I root for the Israeli national team and clubs because I'm Jewish. I don't have a favorite Israeli club. I just root for whichever Israeli clubs are in UEFA competitions. Most of the posts in the Israel forum are made by me (the moderator left the board a long time ago) and I'm happy to have somebody else post here.

Israel's season coefficient so far is worse than usual, and the 2009-2010 season that dropped out of the five season coefficients Israel had a very good 7.250, which was 12th that season ahead of Russia and Ukraine. Three of the four Israeli clubs this season lost aggregates when they were seeded.

In addition to rooting for the Israeli champion, I find it interesting to follow the Champions League qualifying rounds to see how the champions of countries that aren't good enough to have their champion start in the Group Stage do against each other. Sheriff Tiraspol had a streak of ten consecutive Moldovan titles without reaching the Group Stage.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asteras Tripolis 2:0 Maccabi Tel Aviv was the first leg final score. It will probably be the first season since 2008-2009 that no Israeli clubs reached the Group Stage of the Champions League, Europa League, or UEFA Cup (2008-2009 was the last season of the UEFA Cup before it became the Europa League).

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well now I do post here too...lol
    though I seem to occasionally find "trouble" with my posts that can never ever be won...

6. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I tried to follow it on the MSN gametraxx, they didn't have much commentary on the game, also didn't seem like Maccabi brought there "A" game today unfortunately.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's ashamed he felt he needed to leave. For the past couple of seasons they've been the class of the Israeli Premier league. I'm hoping they don't have much of a fall off and drop out of the europa league already because of this. Although I am hoping Hapoel Tel Aviv gets back to the top in the league and can move ahead of Maccabi Haifa as well

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's final score was Maccabi Tel Aviv 3:1 Asteras Tripolis, with a 3:3 aggregate and Asteras Tripolis advancing 1:0 on away goals. Israel is down to 19th in the country coefficients and finishes with 1.375 for 2014-2015. Israel is in the four way tie for 37th and will probably finish in a three way tie for 39th out of 54 countries for 2014-2015. Maybe next season will be better.

12. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to follow it on MSN, they seem to play inspired footy after going down at home. Hope they keep it going

13. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @YankBastard

It says "This video has been removed by the user." I don't know if this topic needs more posts anyway.

15. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States